6 foot dish install

Status
Please reply by conversation.
thanks for all great pics guys. still working on assembling my mount...

from the pix...

Instead of the stack of washers, how 'bout making a little "L" bracket to mount at the right place?
Home Depot may even have something that'd work as-is.

I've been studying the pictures tonight (for the first time) and don't have the benefit of handling an actual dish.
Still, I wonder...
Is there something one can do on the motor-end or the clamp to the middle of the motor screw, to bring all the players into alignment?

PS: brentb636, I like the camo paint job (little dots) on the back of the dish.
Any particular reason? Surely not that many paint blemishes. ;)

Last edited:
"PS: brentb636, I like the camo paint job (little dots) on the back of the dish.
Any particular reason? Surely not that many paint blemishes. "

I wanted the underside dark, but not solid. No sense having the white back of the dish tip off the satellite police. This dish is installed in a non-locally approved location ( actually all my dishes are non-approved ). :)
The local satellite related ordinance dates from 1987, so it's somewhat out-of-date, but no sense getting authorities involved if they don't need to be. Better to ask forgiveness than ask permission.
:)

"Is there something one can do on the motor-end or the clamp to the middle of the motor screw, to bring all the players into alignment?
"

Yes, there is. The wind has been blowing 30-60 mph for two days now ( now as well ), but I plan to change my actuator mount to INSIDE the L-strut, using the spacers to provide clearance. That would reduce the washer number dramatically. I'm busy playing around getting familiar with both the G-box and Pansat 2700a ( which I'm using for setup ) . My arc alignment is pretty close , I'm getting 87W thru 99W strongly ( haven't gone any further east or west yet, slow process ), and I'm still working off of temp wiring at the dish itself. At least the dish didn't fold up and blow away in the wind . :)

After sleeping on it, I think I will flip the bottom angle bracket over, and just use washers to make it right, its about all we can do. I am a firm believer in making that actuator push and pull as straight as possible.

I haven't really had much interest in these dishes before, but going back and reading what Robbie put in the original thread, this dish was never intended to have an actuator, so it wasn't designed to take one.

Won't be the first time we FTA guys had to adapt something, right guys?

I dont know if this will help any but here is what my actuator looks like on my 6 ft dish.

Very nice dish indeed,

Thanks stanleyjohn, but the dish that you own, the assenbly is different from the rest of the bargain dishes that we are trying to put together. Thanks for the picture.

I guess that we will try again today to make this work.

avenger

You are absolutely correct. If in fact they are missing parts, please let us know. For the most part, we have extra parts that we can send to you right away.

I apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused any of you.
Very good response, Rob! :up:D
I got my Dish and Actuator delivered yesterday and it seems UPS did a number on the boxes containing the Actuator and the Dish. The box containing the dish is ripped in a couple of places and most of the staples holding the box together are all popped out, thereby exposing the Dish. I can see a slight depression on the edge of the panels (compressed). Looking at the outside box and quick peak inside tells me the dish was dropped. I will open both boxes (Actuator and Dish) tomorrow and inspect them to see the extent of the damage.

After sleeping on it, I think I will flip the bottom angle bracket over, and just use washers to make it right, its about all we can do. I am a firm believer in making that actuator push and pull as straight as possible.

I haven't really had much interest in these dishes before, but going back and reading what Robbie put in the original thread, this dish was never intended to have an actuator, so it wasn't designed to take one.

Won't be the first time we FTA guys had to adapt something, right guys?

You got that right, Stogie. The PM24 actuator is also pretty large for this little dish. I had to really "choke up" to get a decent traverse and limit the amount of arc per extension of the rod. I'm back with the original bolt to fasten the actuator to the dish, and mounting the rod end on top of the dish bracket ( won't fit below ). The actuator pivot is mounted top side of the angle bracket with spacers so it will clear. Gives a fairly straight push and pull, plus the shorter bolt keeps down the flex. I was getting a lot of movement with the long bolt. Couldn't be mounted rigid enough to repeat positioning.
Now I can go back and forth between 91W and 107W repeatedly, and get the same Q on the tp's . The little dish is gonna have a lot more flex than a more solid one, so some of this we just have to live with and learn.

"PS: brentb636, I like the camo paint job (little dots) on the back of the dish.
Any particular reason? Surely not that many paint blemishes. "

I wanted the underside dark, but not solid. No sense having the white back of the dish tip off the satellite police. This dish is installed in a non-locally approved location ( actually all my dishes are non-approved ). :)
The local satellite related ordinance dates from 1987, so it's somewhat out-of-date, but no sense getting authorities involved if they don't need to be. Better to ask forgiveness than ask permission.

:) I know what your saying about the sat police!Here in our town Dish size is limited to 1 meter residentual and 1.8 busness.I hid mine out of site of the road and hoping as long as no one can see it!no one will complain.
Looks like work is progressing well with the installation,maybe a few bumps but whats a job without some challenges.Cant wait to start hereing about all the new tp contacts with the new set ups.

Here are a couple new pics. Show my actuator moved to the "high side" position, providing a straight shot with fewer spacers. Currently I'm okay from 87W to 123W ( all that I've tried for) with good quality. Only had to make one small adjustment to the declination, once I got about 10 deg from south ( 87W) . Because of some flex in the whole structure, the positioning is only repeatable from east to west. If I try to move back to a more easterly bird, I need to overshoot it and come back from the east side. A problem that will have to be worked on , bit by bit.
The Q values are MUCH better than from my 4 foot mini-BUD . Many channels that I never picked up before. Haven't even thought about optimizing the lnbf yet, still setting this turkey up, and having fun.

Attachments

• IMG_03142.jpg
    IMG_03142.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_03161.jpg
    IMG_03161.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_03173.jpg
    IMG_03173.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 263

These so-called "muni-codes" are absurd and illegal. Last I checked, we live in the United States of America, not Iran, where people have to hide their dishes for fear of the government.

Something to think about...

Today's chores, tightening things down a little, hoping to reduce the flex in the system. I've switched over to the CS8000 driving the Gbox, and I'm getting good results from 83W to 133W . If I could find an active tp on 72W, I'm sure I could get it , too. It's kinda bare.

Except for the PA network listed on the list!72w c is pretty bare except for some feeds.I do find a good amount of feeds here but it seems like its a one time shot with each that i have received.So my best advice here is to keep blindscaning and hope to catch a feed.

Thanks for the clue, but I'm not finding a trace of anything around where I think it should be. :)
Maybe someday a big power feed will show up there, and I'll be able to find it , then.

What I don't get is that the law says that they can't restrict you from receiving signal, as long as the dishes are under a meter...doesn't that kinda by nature restrict you from getting C-Band?

Yes, it does. However, many localities, particularly rural areas, have no restrictions. Our township permits up to a 12' dish, located in the back yard only, with some other architectural requirements ( on a slab, for example) , with prior permission. Still, ignoring the ordnance is probably a safe bet for me, as long as the neighbors don't complain.

Help With Fortec (FLU) and GBOX 3000

Yesterday in the smoldering heat, stogie5150 and me ( mostly stogie5150), set up the 6' bargain dish.

stogie5150 showed me most of thing that needed to be done in order to find some satellite signal. After some adjustments and searching, we able to find some satellite signals

We used a GBOX 3000 and his receiver ( I wish we would have used my FLU) to find and view some of the satellite channels from AMC9 at 83 West, and a couple of others satellites. The dish was left pointing at AMC9, there are a few KU band channels, but could not find any C band channels on this satellite.

Now I am trying to learn how to use the GBOX 3000 with my Fortec Lifetime Ultra, so I can continue searching the sky for the other C and KU satellite channels. Does anyone in this forum uses this combination of hardware to control and find satellites with a 6' dish specially the bargain 6' dish.

Any information and help with this setup is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

avenger.

Turn on your Flu, go to the antenna setup screen, and select Diseqc 1.2, for positioner setting. I don't have a FLU, so maybe you could send us a screen shot of what you see.
My Pansat 2700 gives you the choice of position numbers that you can save for each bird. Obviously they have to have different numbers.
My basic technique is to choose an active tp for a satellite, then starting in order from east to west ( from my true south) inch my way to the west until I get optimize the Q on the next target sat. I save THAT position, and move on to the next dish in the sky.
First thing is to save the location of AMC9 , using the FLU and scan in the channels. [edit] I found PA Cable network on AMC9, 3804 V 4167, as listed on Lyngsat.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts