6 foot dish install

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yesterday in the smoldering heat, stogie5150 and me ( mostly stogie5150), set up the 6' bargain dish.

stogie5150 showed me most of thing that needed to be done in order to find some satellite signal. After some adjustments and searching, we able to find some satellite signals

We used a GBOX 3000 and his receiver ( I wish we would have used my FLU) to find and view some of the satellite channels from AMC9 at 83 West, and a couple of others satellites. The dish was left pointing at AMC9, there are a few KU band channels, but could not find any C band channels on this satellite.

Now I am trying to learn how to use the GBOX 3000 with my Fortec Lifetime Ultra, so I can continue searching the sky for the other C and KU satellite channels. Does anyone in this forum uses this combination of hardware to control and find satellites with a 6' dish specially the bargain 6' dish.

Any information and help with this setup is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

avenger.

It wasn't that hot... :D

And you should have called back if you were still confused...:)

Turn on your Flu, go to the antenna setup screen, and select Diseqc 1.2, for positioner setting. I don't have a FLU, so maybe you could send us a screen shot of what you see.
My Pansat 2700 gives you the choice of position numbers that you can save for each bird. Obviously they have to have different numbers.
My basic technique is to choose an active tp for a satellite, then starting in order from east to west ( from my true south) inch my way to the west until I get optimize the Q on the next target sat. I save THAT position, and move on to the next dish in the sky.
First thing is to save the location of AMC9 , using the FLU and scan in the channels. [edit] I found PA Cable network on AMC9, 3804 V 4167, as listed on Lyngsat.
:)

He's not using his Fortec THROUGH the Gbox, I don't recommend that to anyone, especially a newbie. I was never able to make it work correctly, and it adds complexity, especially for a newbie. I use the Gbox to move the dish and the receiver to receive.

When I left yesterday he was sitting on AMC 9, I didn't have time to look at the Fortec, so i don't know what his sat list looks like. I do not think he has separate C and Ku sats, I may be wrong on that. I had PA cable for him on the c-band side and RTV on the Ku side on my coolsat aiming box.

I probably need to go back over there and look things over for him, there was a lot to learn in one day the way we were blowin' and goin'. :)

Yesterday in the smoldering heat, stogie5150 and me ( mostly stogie5150), set up the 6' bargain dish.

I can continue searching the sky for the other C and KU satellite channels. Does anyone in this forum uses this combination of hardware to control and find satellites with a 6' dish specially the bargain 6' dish.

Congrats on the install!

I also purchased a dish, but haven't installed yet still researching LNB's.
What LNB are you using, I've read most "combo" ones don't work wel l on a 6 foot dish.

I would love to hear how yours is working!

Tx
FS

Congrats on the install!

I also purchased a dish, but haven't installed yet still researching LNB's.
What LNB are you using, I've read most "combo" ones don't work wel l on a 6 foot dish.

I would love to hear how yours is working!

Tx
FS

Since I installed it I'll answer that...LOL..He is using a C/K-1 C/ku combo LNB.

And with little time for fine tuning, and considering the size of his dish, I'd say it is working quite well. :)

Congrats , Stogie.
A good days work. If you go over again, have Avenger keep a chart of the Sat name and position, with the pulse count from the Gbox. A pattern soon develops that can be handy. My setup is using about 11 counts per degree of arc. So between 87W bird and 89W bird, I've got 22 counts on the Gbox. It makes it easier to estimate where an unfound sat should be .
Maybe you should have dark beer and take a break.

It wasn't that hot... :D

And you should have called back if you were still confused...:)

He's not using his Fortec THROUGH the Gbox, I don't recommend that to anyone, especially a newbie. I was never able to make it work correctly, and it adds complexity, especially for a newbie. I use the Gbox to move the dish and the receiver to receive.

When I left yesterday he was sitting on AMC 9, I didn't have time to look at the Fortec, so i don't know what his sat list looks like. I do not think he has separate C and Ku sats, I may be wrong on that. I had PA cable for him on the c-band side and RTV on the Ku side on my coolsat aiming box.

I probably need to go back over there and look things over for him, there was a lot to learn in one day the way we were blowin' and goin'. :)

I was doing some hunny dos most of the morning then after finishing that, I started doing some digging at the back to replace the small PVC conduit with a bigger one to add the extra wire for the actuator control. Went inside and finally started reading the manual for the GBOX. After a while I went to Home Depot and bought the 1" PVC needed for the run.

Last night it rained cats and dogs, now the new trench is full of water, will wait for it to dry up a little bit to proceed with the run.

Stogie5150 you helped me alot, I wanted to do some more preparations before asking for further help. You are right the Fortec does not have separate C and KU sats. Well buddy take a well deserve break, and I am sure that I will be asking for more advice soon enough.

Thanks again

avenger.

On the subject of using your Fortec thru the GBox: One thing that I noticed right away with my Pansat 2700, and Coolsat 8000, they both only seem to support 25 sat positions in Diseqc 1.2 mode. So They'd be good for just Ku band , or good for C-band , but not good for both. Even though the Gbox has 99 positions available, probably most receivers can't use them.
The Pansat uses positions 26 thru 49, and happily the Coolsat uses positions 1-25, so at the moment both receivers have saved positions on my Gbox.
I'm only using the 6 foot dish for C-band, so 25 positions is just fine for me to work thru the receivers instead of at the Gbox itself. [edit] It wouldn't surprise me at all , if at a later date, you decide to set up a dedicated Ku dish ( I recommend a 1.0M ), and put a dual output lnbf on your 6 footer, for handling multiple TV locations. [/edit]

Thanks a lot, Stan. As you now know, my neighbor has a stinking rotten catalpa tree between my dish and AMC6 . Bore sighted thru the center is a big branch full of fat leaves. I'm guessing that once the leaves drop, I might get some degraded signal past that branch. We'll have to wait and see.
Thanks again for the tip.

:rant:

I was doing some hunny dos most of the morning then after finishing that, I started doing some digging at the back to replace the small PVC conduit with a bigger one to add the extra wire for the actuator control. Went inside and finally started reading the manual for the GBOX. After a while I went to Home Depot and bought the 1" PVC needed for the run.

Last night it rained cats and dogs, now the new trench is full of water, will wait for it to dry up a little bit to proceed with the run.

Stogie5150 you helped me alot, I wanted to do some more preparations before asking for further help. You are right the Fortec does not have separate C and KU sats. Well buddy take a well deserve break, and I am sure that I will be asking for more advice soon enough.

Thanks again

avenger.

What ya need is a custom sat list for that receiver, and I have the stuff to do it. So once you get the pipe buried we'll take care of it, and I'll learn ya some more...LOL

I thought the dishes from WSI supposed to be Actual size: 185cm = 6.06 feet mine only measure 70 inches did any off you measure your dishes .

Mine measures 70 inches across !

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
If you measure from the outer edge ( not the reflector diameter ) to the opposite outer edge, you might just get 72" . :)
I'km sure no one sent the "wrong dish" . These are the only bargain dishes that they have. The size spec may be a little "fudged", but it's definitely a 180cm class dish. My 1.0M dish is only 38.5 inches wide but 42" high. it's a 1.0M class dish.

Come on man we are not talking about a ku dish we are talking about c-band 6.6 ( 185cm ) is 78 inches on the WSI post on Satellite guys C-Band dish for $69.00 the specs are Actual size: 185cm = 6.06 feet. not 5.9" 72 inches.

More questions

I understand that the GBOX will be used to follow the arch and find the positions of the satellites.

Now, since I wont be using the receiver(s) to move and find the satellites, and because I own two receivers a Fortec (FLU), and a Viewsat Ultra, which of these two receivers is the most desireable to use when it comes to scanning the channels. I have heard that the Fortec is the one to use, but then again the Viewsat have a better picture and honestly I do not see that much of a difference when it comes to scanning for channels.

If anyone own both of these unit, and are using either or both of them, please set me straight on which is the better one to use.

Once everything is up and running fairly well, it looks like my next main receiver will be either a Azbox or a Sathawk XXX if they are still made.

Thank You

avenger.

Come on man we are not talking about a ku dish we are talking about c-band 6.6 ( 185cm ) is 78 inches on the WSI post on Satellite guys C-Band dish for $69.00 the specs are Actual size: 185cm = 6.06 feet. not 5.9" 72 inches.
185cm = 72.8" .
180cm = 70.86"
Feel free to call your lawyer .

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts