70+ HD Channels in Engineering Mode

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I base my opinion on the fact that, D* has 16 million plus subs and E* has 13 million plus subs and statistically, the number of people who post here is an insignificant number compared to the total subscriber base and you or anyone else here does not really know what the subscribers of either provider want or don't want based upon what is posted in these forums.
While it is true that the few who post here cant really gauge the wants of the entire subscription base, even taking it a step further, I cant think of a single time that ive heard a Directv sub say they want voom off of here either, however I know many Dish subs that have mentioned wanting EI of ST.
Dont get me wrong, i wouldnt mind the option of having Voom on D* for the people that may want it. I wouldnt personally get it, since I have D* and E* and dont subscribe to it now anyway. But more options is nice

The FACT is that almost 2 million D* subs PAY for NFL. Are there even 2 million DISH HD subs? Obviously NFL is a BIGGER draw than VOOM. And don't take that statement as a KNOCK on VOOM, but a reality that the sports item is MUCH more in demand that VOOM.

OH , I agree 100% ,It would be nice if both Satellite providers offered these sports pack.I think they should.I don't think one should have the rights and not the other.
E* is prevented from offering the NFL Sunday Ticket due to the exclusive contract D* & NFL signed. When this contract expires, look for E* to pursue the rights to show NFL ST. MLB EI is another story. E* declined to pay the high price demanded for the rights to MLB EI. This may have been a mistake on E*'s part in the long run.

Lots of reasons really. Dish having more HD channels is one. But I think just as important is the fact that that DirecTV tightened its credit requirements, and dropped many subs that were late payers and credit risks.

Don't be so smug as to think there is only one reason.

But I guess we will have to wait 6 months to see if this is still the case. I for one, don't think it will be.

While it is true that the few who post here cant really gauge the wants of the entire subscription base, even taking it a step further, I cant think of a single time that ive heard a Directv sub say they want voom off of here either, however I know many Dish subs that have mentioned wanting EI of ST.
Dont get me wrong, i wouldnt mind the option of having Voom on D* for the people that may want it. I wouldn't personally get it, since I have D* and E* and dont subscribe to it now anyway. But more options is nice
I had V* as a stand alone service when it went online, up until the day it died. While the majority of the content back then was repeated quite often, I did value the WorldSportHD, Equator, Gallery and maybe one or two other "occasional" channels. If offered through D*, I would probably do it again. The HD Soccer was a major selling point, along with the travel shows/aerial flyovers of far off destinations was nice.

But even with EI and ST as an option for me, I don't bother with the expense. I am fortunate to live in my favorite teams' markets, so don't need the out-of-market coverage that is available through those packages. Not the case for everyone, but I do have the option. If it were 1/2 the price it is now (ST) I would probably get it since I also do fantasy football, and it would be nice to tune into each of my players' games. But the stats are updated live so not a necessity.

Bottomline: give me the option, and let me choose.

Last edited:
E* is prevented from offering the NFL Sunday Ticket due to the exclusive contract D* & NFL signed. When this contract expires, look for E* to pursue the rights to show NFL ST. MLB EI is another story. E* declined to pay the high price demanded for the rights to MLB EI. This may have been a mistake on E*'s part in the long run.

If Charlie wanted to pony up the $'s he could have had all those as exclusive contracts, but wasn't willing to go above what others were willing to pay. Charlie may look at NFL ST when it comes up again, but when he sees the price tag he'll walk away.

If Charlie wanted to pony up the $'s he could have had all those as exclusive contracts, but wasn't willing to go above what others were willing to pay. Charlie may look at NFL ST when it comes up again, but when he sees the price tag he'll walk away.
Or, he could walk away with the exclusive rights to NFLST and leave you D* guys wondering what just happened.:D New ownership may have different priorities for D*. Like actually making a $.

Last edited:
Not before he bids it up to an uncomfortable level for D*, again.

Or, he could walk away with the exclusive rights to NFLST and leave you D* guys wondering what just happened.:D New ownership may have different priorities for D*. Like actually making a $.

Last time I looked at the financials, D* was making money, even with all those expensive sports packages and channels that Charlie has turned off.

Last time I looked at the financials, D* was making money, even with all those expensive sports packages and channels that Charlie has turned off.
yep..Charlie is just making MORE without those expensive sports thingys

I guess you have NOT followed the financial results for the past year and a half. D* is making tons of money.

Your posts are getting more and more out-of-this-world.

Ok - enuf already. And I'm guilty also I see. This is a thread in the DirecTV forums, and the topic is the 70 + channels in engineering mode.

Continued off-topic stuff will be deleted.

This is NOT in any way intended to be a D* vs E* thread.

Anyword on a launch date for specific channels?

AGAIN, D* doesn't announce launch dates until after they occur. Remember the ESPN2 hd fiasco? It should be very soon, my GUESS is Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts