920 Picture Problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BotWrecker

Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Hello,
This is the first time I've posted anything ever. I currently live in Wa & purchased a 7.5' dish in 1993. I upgraded to a GI 920 several years ago. After some careful adjustments I got it to receive basically all digital channels crisp & clear. For years never a problem. 2 weeks ago I suddenly lost all my digital signals while watching a movie including the in the clear digital channels, but still can receive the analog channels. At first, the picture looks as though water is running down the screen, then it begins to tile, followed by noisy snow, (picture only), then complete black screen then repeats the process. The sound is not affected & the signal quality remains in the 90's during the whole process. I replaced the LNB but all is the same. The dish is still in excellent condition. I also checked connections & cable, unplugged the rceiver for an hour after I went to G1-3. I'm afraid it might be the receiver. Is there a diagnostic test I can perform? Would it be worth purchasing another receiver? I heard the big dish is going away soon & the 4dtv is no longer being manufactured. I momentarily considered the small dish but not quite ready for the higher price subscriptions & lack of custom programming & rain faid we get here quite often. Any help to steer me in the right direction would be appreciated.
Thanks.

By what you wrote am I to understand that your still getting a digital lock on the channels and your only getting the audio now?

Have you checked the feedhorn for any blockage (hornet nest)
Just what signal strengths are you getting on digital channels?
Have you bypassed all components and hooked directly to the 920 and TV..using RG6 to the TV and not the RCA cable.

Quality on G1-100 is in the 70's & the signal is 68. The dc light is on & my service provider did a rehit. On C3-612, quality is in the high 90's & the signal strength is 64. The feedhorn is clear & I have hooked it directly the the aux in on the tv & also through the tuner. I just purchased a solid copper core quad shielded coax cable for my aerial antenna but haven't installed it yet. Will this coax cable work as a test if I ran it from the LNB to the 920?

The cable doesn't sound like your problem seen your getting a signal, have you done a master reset yet?

Also try using the test menu to see if it works..see attachment...select the audio / video test.

Attachments

• 920 test menu.png
    920 test menu.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Crap! I did a master reset. It took a while but I reset east & west. I also forgot that my wires were switched so east is west & vice versa. I'm currently on G1-3. I have only a couple sats programmed so far. Most of c-band analog is gone so I think I'll wait until tomorrow & see if I have any subscription channels back.I really appreciate the help & will keep you informed if the master reset fixed it.

Master reset didn't help. It's back to doing the same thing. Analog stations good, digital still doing the same thing. I also just removed my VCM module & blew off the dust & cleaned it up then reinstalled it but that didn't help either. I should have thought about it first since that module is for subscription channels & not for the in the clear digital channels, which are also still messed up as well. I guess I won't finish programming the satelites yet. Thanks again for the help.

I just sent mine in for repair: ATS Electronics, Hickory, NC
I was having the same symptoms. Cost me $135
IC Chip, Capacitor and battery

Did ATS give you the location of the components( IC and Cap) that were replaced on the board...seen I've got four 920's it might be useful.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)