A couple of newbie questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Club Chapin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
I spend a lot of time in Europe. I know that there is a lot of FTA here (I use Hotbird a lot). I also know that there is a lot of pay TV here that you can buy legit cards for, from the broadcasters. I've bought them for CNBC to be added to Sky Digital DBS service and for RTV to use in a blind scan IRD on Hotbird.

Is this sort of legit card available in the US for any broadcasts, other than the main DBS services?

Is it important to purchase a reciever with a smard card slot or with a cam slot for use in the US? I notice that the latest and greatest do not seem to have slots.

Also, I see that different recievers are marketed in Europe than in the US. What is the difference between a reciever for Europe and one for the US? Could I buy one in Europe and bring it home to the US and use it there?

thanks in advance Pete

Club Chapin said:
I spend a lot of time in Europe. I know that there is a lot of FTA here (I use Hotbird a lot). I also know that there is a lot of pay TV here that you can buy legit cards for, from the broadcasters. I've bought them for CNBC to be added to Sky Digital DBS service and for RTV to use in a blind scan IRD on Hotbird.

Is this sort of legit card available in the US for any broadcasts, other than the main DBS services?
Globecast, which is an ethnic channel provider on IA5

Is it important to purchase a reciever with a smard card slot or with a cam slot for use in the US? I notice that the latest and greatest do not seem to have slots.
nah. Really no need here in the US

Also, I see that different recievers are marketed in Europe than in the US. What is the difference between a reciever for Europe and one for the US? Could I buy one in Europe and bring it home to the US and use it there?

thanks in advance Pete
your satellite list will be off for obvious reasons

Club Chapin said:

thanks in advance Pete

The european DVB receivers can work here. Just make sure that you can add/edit sats. I know some receivers are locked.

No pay service avaliable in the US via a CI interface

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)