A2 freezes

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Has anybody had any issues with their A2's freezing during a movie? This has happened to me a handful of times. Right before the freeze, there is a rushing/wooshing sound on the audio, and then the pic freezes and controls don't respond. I have to power off by holding the power button for 10 secs or so.

I am updated to the latest 2.5 FW. It idid it on 2.2, as well.

I have the XA1 first gen player. But, all the Toshiba HD DVD players are comparable. It's generally the individual disc that cause any freezing. The combo discs with HD on one side & DVD on the other seem to be more susceptible to this. Check the disc carefully for any dirt, scratches, etc. - even if purchased brand new. I once had a brand new disc that kept freezing up & when I checked it had a glob of (what I hoped was only) adhesive gunk on it.

A discwasher kit is a good inexpensive investment - the HD data is much more dense, so less tolerance to any imperfections.

I use the cleanDR on all my rented movies, and haven't had much skipping at all. Some of those Netflix rentals look like they've gone thru hell!

You guys are probably right. They were rentals from Netflix. After I restarted the player, I did wipe down the discs thoroughly, and didn't have the issue again in each case.

Are these players more susceptible to this? I never had this issue with my previous Panasonic DVD recorder/player, and don't seem to be having it with my new Toshiba recorder/player either, with SD Netflix discs. (Come to think of it, the A2 froze with an SD disc once, as well.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)