Ahh Memories...

I still miss VOOM. :shh
Yeah, Later, with Jool Holland as originaly recorded for BBC with no commercials and NO segments/performances CUT OUT to fit commercials for 60 min block as it airs since and today on MTV Live. The MTV Live hatchet job is insult to injury. Honestly, I think Rave was the only channel of real value because it had more NEW content then the other Voom channels and the content was of musical performances and concerts of relevant bands of the era. IIRC, all the other Voom channels kept replaying and replaying the same shows and same episodes over and over.

Last edited:
Reactions: pattykay and Jim S.
Please, bring back both the Charlie Chat and Tech Forum; they truly were entertaining TV with Charlie and Jim DeFranco occasional disagreements (you really could believe that Charlie and Jim did scream at each other at the office, as Mr. Ergen once confided on a Charlie Chat), Ergen's humor with guests (a surprisingly funny guy, Chuck is), Charlie's entertaining rant on the latest dispute, Ergen's amusing displeasure with Engineering regarding a few bugs or promises of when features would be launched and fixes, and his delightful moment in tossing questions to the occasional "peanut gallery" of staff to speak to the audience with details and WHEN or WHY something is or is NOT "COMING SOON."

The chemistry on Charlie Chat was something like the 1970's Match Game among it regulars and host: people, who tried out of politeness, to keep their personal irritants with one another latent with a veneer of professionalism, but soon losing patience it would all rise to the surface with peevish behavior (Richard), exasperation (Charles), crude put-downs (Brett), and admonishments (Gene) to behave and move quickly along because the panel is taking too much time, all in complete view of everyone watching, but it resulted in comedy GOLD. With Charlie Chat or Match Game 1970's, it was never really the questions or answers, but all the stuff in-between such as personal banter among those in the Charlie Chat that was the most inadvertently HILARIOUS.

Oh, and Mark Jackson on the Tech Forums when his co-host, (Dave Commer(?) and later the software guy) would give an answer dear old Mark did NOT like. You could see his EYES burn a mighty volcano blaze. It was funnier than hit TV shows on at the time.

Yeah, Later, with Jool Holland as originaly recorded for BBC with no commercials and NO segments/performances CUT OUT to fit commercials for 60 min block as it airs since and today on MTV Live. The MTV Live hatchet job is insult to injury. Honestly, I think Rave was the only channel of real value because it had more NEW content then the other Voom channels and the content was of musical performances and concerts of relevant bands of the era. IIRC, all the other Voom channels kept replaying and replaying the same shows and same episodes over and over.

MonstersHD was a very worthwhile channel too! Some really classic movies that are never shown on TV, not available on streaming services.
Plus one (or more) Halloween at the playboy mansion!

Anyone remember VOOM?

Charlie swooped in just before VOOM shutdown to rescue VOOM's exclusive HD channels. Too bad they didn't last long on DISH.

If you we a VOOM fan this night was a VERY exciting night here at SatelliteGuys and was the night when we had the most traffic here at SatelliteGuys!

I remember Voom, As I mentioned in a forum a while back, it was exciting a few years back when new channels and and HD were all ther rage. Kinda boring now LOL

Voom crapped out shortly after DISH took them over. First the compression to HD LITE and then the consolidation to fewer channels that showed the same crap over and over and over again. By the time DISH dropped the channels I hadn't even watched them in months.

Always looked forward to Charlie chats when I would go over to my dads house. Too bad Dish axed them.
I don't think there is much that Charlie wants to chat about anymore. HE is just trying to ride what is left of DISH to the last penny he can make . SO more FEES on everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)