Ajax vs Birdview

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

madbull

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 2, 2005
tennessee
I have a Ajax H to H positioner and a birdview positioner I havnt modded yet( per phats counting wheel) I' m thinking about mounting the birdview 8 1/2 ft dish on the Ajax H to H positioner. The Ajax seems to count ok with the g box i have. Any of you guru's have any advice or thoughts? Thanks

only an opinion, but . . .

Well, disregarding fact the Birdview mount 'n 6" pole are tank-like stable ... :eek: ... (stiff as a phone pole!)
... and the dish bolts right on ... :rolleyes:
... and certainly for C-band, the BV 8-mag mod is sufficient...
... and the 24 magnet mod isn't -too- hard...

The only thing I would question is the dish weight of the solid Birdview.
It's way heaver than a similar 8' spun aluminum perforated dish I have on my AJAK... (maybe twice?)
... and which is similar to the perforated Birdview.

Linuxman, and 1captain (as well as others) have both solid and perforated Birdviews, and the AJAK motors.
See what they think about dish weight.
That's the only technical reason I can think of.
Of course, the BV community may tar 'n feather you for high crimes 'n heresy, but that's your problem - :D

Thanks for the opinion Anole. It is a solid birdview and pretty heavy but not as heavy as the old 10 foot solid microwave deep dish (36inch focal point) I have on it now. I have it on a 6 1/2 inch pole so dont think its going to move. only reason I'm changing them out, is the microwave dish is really critical about the tuning because of the small focal point(the birdview has a 40 inch focal point). Thought I might get a little more gain and it wouldn't be as tough to get right on the sat. I proabably will go on with the birdview plat wheel mod anyway as it has a 10 turn pot on it now.. I ordered and got the magnets just need to get or scrounge a reed switch. Maybe some of the folks you mentioned have had experience or an opinion. Could use some thoughts on attaching the birdview to the Ajax too. Really enjoy puttering with this junk when I can find time, hehe. by the way I have a tractor and front end loader to move and mount this stuff, I'm too old to try to lift it by myself.

I'm confused

Either do the magnet mod and run the Birdview mount, or use the AJAK as-is.

The AJAK has reasonably high precision, despite the five magnets.
I believe it gets ten pulses per revolution of its wheel, due to a clever design.
And, the wheel is up-stream in the gear train relative to the Birdview.
So, it's one or the other: BV+magnets or AJAK alone.

By the way, the Birdview mount is meant to be bolted down onto the stock pole with a big vertical bolt.
Only the BV pole has a bracket inside to receive the bolt.

Not sure what you meant, but wanted to bring up those points so you don't find a big surprise in the middle of your task. - ;)

Have desided to leave the 10 solid deep dish on the Ajax and Mod the birdview positioner and mount it on it on pole later, Sorry for the rambling. Thanks for your thoughts. Jay

Have desided to leave the 10 solid deep dish on the Ajax and Mod the birdview positioner and mount it on it on pole later,
Sorry for the rambling. Thanks for your thoughts. Jay
Sometimes figuring out which way to go is the hardest part of a project.
This forum is a great place to discuss all aspects of the hobby.
Keep posting, reading, and show us some pictures. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts