AM21+"moved locals"

Status
Please reply by conversation.
whoa...I noticed that the HD locals really chew up the hard drive space :)
How many HD hours can I get on the R22?

Time for an ESATA. They record full MPEG2 something around double the space of a DirecTV LIL MPEG4. Personally I set most recordings off the satellite signal simply because of that. I mostly use OTA to get more options for football and news, and rarely record from them. When I do record from them I rarely keep them past one viewing.

Most of the time it would be a 1 time recording and viewing like yesterday's Twins game that was on local TV (My29) and the picture looks 100 times better than what D* shows on the RSN Alt (since that is where they put Sunday games) and the Vikes games :)

I was shocked to see the HDD go from 80% to 69% after the Twins game (3 1/2 hours) ;)

My (moved) "locals" are not in HD on D*....the only HD locals I get are the ones through the AM21

Most of the time it would be a 1 time recording and viewing like yesterday's Twins game that was on local TV (My29) and the picture looks 100 times better than what D* shows on the RSN Alt (since that is where they put Sunday games) and the Vikes games :)

I was shocked to see the HDD go from 80% to 69% after the Twins game (3 1/2 hours) ;)

My (moved) "locals" are not in HD on D*....the only HD locals I get are the ones through the AM21

11% for 3.5 hours ?
That sounds WAY high ..... was that mpeg 2 probably ?
Even so, that sound awfully high.

Its from the OTA (AM-21) so they are probably MPEG2. I'll record a few other HD items tonight and see what the percentage is when they get deleted.

well how many HD hours can the R22 record?

Its from the OTA (AM-21) so they are probably MPEG2. I'll record a few other HD items tonight and see what the percentage is when they get deleted.

I don't have the specs on the R22, but it should be a 300 or 500 GB HD, probably 300-320 GB

I think a while back someone said it was a 320GB drive
edit: found a post that confirms its a 320GB drive...200 hrs SD but dont know about HD

The R22 is basically the HR21 with the HD features disabled(initially) It has a 320GB drive, which according to this weaknees FAQ, can hold up to 30Hrs of mpeg2 HD:

WeaKnees - the TiVo Superstore - DirecTV and TiVo FAQ

so that would be right then that 3 1/2 hours takes about 11% up

Thanks for the link

ANYTHING you record OTA is ALWAYS in MPEG2, as that is the OTA standard. And keep in mind, generally in many cases, it is NOT compressed as much as it is thru the dish.
OTA SD is about the same space as SD D* signals, but yes, OTA HD definitely does take up more space than HD D* signals.

And Ice, even though I understand you do NOT have HD access on your account & can't see them in HD, the DVR STILL records those OTA signals EXACTLY as they come in. So if an OTA signal originate in HD, it records in HD - you just are stuck watching it in SD! ;)
This also applies for ALL HD DVR's being used in MPEG4 local markets & those subs that do NOT have HD access enabled - in these cases, this ALSO applies for even the HD locals thru the dish, as D* does NOT send up duplicate SD locals in Ka.

Dishrich,
If I have a D* delivered local channel (CBS for example) thats MPEG 4 and I have a OTA channel CBS, the OTA CBS (Mpeg 2) would take up about twice the recording space ....
Does that sound right ?

where?

Iceberg, Im a "mover" as well and am just wondering where you purchased the am21 from? I want want as well, but im worried that D* will want to ship only to my service address, and that wont work. I really dont want to pay 70 bucks on Amazon for one either.

Thanks

I ordered directly from Directv. 50 bucks + 3 and some change for tax. Shipping is free....When I got to the payment screen they put my "moved" address for both shipping and billing. You can change both to ANY address and it wont affect your "moved" address. It clearly says it on the screen..They sent it to my billing address (my house) via FedEx Home Delivery

edit: just checked my account and billing on file is my address and my physical is the "moved" address

Did you order it online?

Where on the site can you order it?

It seems like when i go to equipment, it just wants me to sign up for a tv package?

Wow i feel dumb on this one.....can u send me a link of the am21 on their site?

yes I ordered online

you have to be a customer. I logged into my account
click on "my equipment
then on "tv internet connection"

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 138
I think the reason i cant get to that screen you showed is because of this error message:
Please call Customer Service at 1-800-DIRECTV to mirror your receivers before changing your programming and equipment.

What does mirroring my receivers mean?

mirroring means the same programming is on all receivers...I have 2 DVR's (R22 & R15) and it let me order one for the R22

what is your setup? (receiver wise)

OK, I have no luck.....I called in and fixed the Mirror problem, then was able to get to the screen you showed and it only listed the 'Wireless TV Internet Connection Kit' under the TV internet connection tab. The AM21 is nowhere to be found on that crappy site!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)