AMC4 received with 18" dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
As mentioned in my recently bumped-up review ( http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=43206 ), I'm getting WVGN on my Pansat 2500 with a 30" dish and the Invacom. It's weak, and there are occasional days when it seems to have vanished, but most of the time it works fine.

I must stress, however, that WVGN is a real bear to point at. It's very easy to get everything else looking great on AMC 4 yet miss WVGN. I've had to resort to checking the signal strength on WVGN's transponder while tweaking the dish. Once I do that, I can get WVGN and everything else on that bird.

Just an update. I tried it again Friday night and it worked.

Also I received Gol off 119 on Sun. I was getting some other TP BUT need to check it out again to see which sat

ken2400 said:
Just an update. I tried it again Friday night and it worked.

Also I received Gol off 119 on Sun. I was getting some other TP BUT need to check it out again to see which sat

Gol is on 110 :)

Thanks for the correction Ice

Another update.

I was able to hit 121W. No big deal.
I also found something a little to the west with

SKL1 11708V 26,800
PAC1
Test

Some far east stuff?

Any idea what sat? I would say I did not move the dish more than 6 degs?

Than ks

Iceberg said:
Gol is on 110 :)

ken2400 said:
Last night after messing around with a 18" dish I was able to receive

3ABN, 3ABN lat, 3ABN radio and 76radio on 11811 V 5700

I also was able to scan the following transponders.

11922 H 500
11857 H 3617
11959 H 4000

But did not get any programing on them.
I hope to mess around with this more soon.

I got to say I love it . I love to see photos of modifations of dishes and set ups Great Job!

Digital Rain said:
True But I find when I "play'' with the dishes. I hear from my wife - "what again?? why r U doing that again. etc etc. balh blah blah blah .

you and me both. women don't get it.

i get the same reaction every saturday when i watch soccer. like she expects me to watch one soccer game and then not watch soccer ever again :D

Thanks Pete and Ice.

Thats GREAT! :D All the names match up. :up I will have to try the analog receiver on it. I than want to pull back 4 degrees E and go for G10R. I dought I will get much BUT I hope to get something. Just hope my wife does not kill me with all the time I am spending on this.

Who da thought. First time on G13 bird and it with a 18" ;)
I keep posting my findings.

PSB said:
Sounds like "Galaxy13/Horizons1" at 127w Ken2400

There is a channel there scanned in as....

SKL 1

DFreq:11720(H) SR:26.800 Msps

SkyLink TV

http://www.lyngsat.com/g13h1.html

ken2400 said:
Last night after messing around with a 18" dish I was able to receive

3ABN, 3ABN lat, 3ABN radio and 76radio on 11811 V 5700

I also was able to scan the following transponders.

11922 H 500
11857 H 3617
11959 H 4000

But did not get any programing on them.
I hope to mess around with this more soon.

I'm now using a 1 meter Primestar with original lnb under minor tree blockage with overcast skies. AMC-4 transponder 11820 H is really lit up. My Pansat 2500 quality reading is pegged at 99, probably higher than it can register. For comparison, People's Network at 11807 reads a solid 60.

BTW, the transponder information in your post doesn't match the published data or my results. Your lnb DRO is most likely off frequency. No big deal if you're doing a blind scan, but if you try to enter official transponder data from a list, you will be lost.

I've experimented with small 18" dishes before. Your test got me interested again, so I thought I'd drag it out in the cold wet night and generate some figures for comparison. Here's what I gathered from my test using a standard but slightly dinged DN single lnbf dish.

11820 H 3ABN quality level of 60% and People's Network (PN) at 11807 H is locked at 10%. Yes, PN is locked with no break-up and I can't believe it either. For some reason I was unable to get any quality reading for PN until I moved the dish slightly westward from the optimal position for 3ABN. However, this minor adjustment dropped my quality level for 3ABN by 10%. If I reposition the dish for a peak on 3ABN, the other PN transponder will not be detected at all. Possibly an interferring adjacent satellite/frequency. Obviously, 3ABN works great on the small dish at this location. For Dr Scott on IA6 11865 V the signal is locked at 10%, but the picture and sound are very poor. Testing by using a slightly larger DN 500 dish and the same single lnbf raises the quality about 5% making it possible to capture a much better picture with good audio, but it makes me long for a real Ku dish.

I used an orginal DTV lnbf, so I know the feed is properly matched to illuminate the dish size and made to fit the arm. I modified the internal DRO to lower the received frequency and converted the waveguide to allow linear polarization. Not a complicated process if you're familiar with the technology, but it's a chapter or two beyond this one.

It's always fun to try a different approach from another angle. Especially with all the discarded small dish equipment -- that isn't as specialized and limited as most people think. It's also possible to increase the gain a bit by adding additional metal cut from another 18" or 20" dish. I've already taken it that far, and now I think it's time to create a customized personal dish like no other.

-sidha

sidha said:
I used an orginal DTV lnbf, so I know the feed is properly matched to illuminate the dish size and made to fit the arm. I modified the internal DRO to lower the received frequency and converted the waveguide to allow linear polarization. Not a complicated process if you're familiar with the technology, but it's a chapter or two beyond this one.

It's always fun to try a different approach from another angle. Especially with all the discarded small dish equipment -- that isn't as specialized and limited as most people think. It's also possible to increase the gain a bit by adding additional metal cut from another 18" or 20" dish. I've already taken it that far, and now I think it's time to create a customized personal dish like no other.

sidha:

Sounds like you're doing the neat stuff I want to try! Any chance you could document the mods you're doing, or giving a few helpful links/pictures? Until I get my WineGard ordered, I'll be sitting here with my new Twinhan card (FedEx now says "On FedEx vehicle for delivery!" Can't wait!) and an old already-installed DTV dish; perfect opportunity to experiment. I have a long background in small electronics repair/modification, and am using a small homebuilt (made it yesterday) VHF/UHF antenna of my own design that outperforms the huge standard OTA roof arial- pics available on request by those that want to laugh ;)

I read so many posting so I might have forgot BUT was wondering did you try pointing it at 119W or 91W??

I find the CBC radio and voice print intesting from time to time on 91W.

CharredPC said:
sidha:

Sounds like you're doing the neat stuff I want to try! Any chance you could document the mods you're doing, or giving a few helpful links/pictures? Until I get my WineGard ordered, I'll be sitting here with my new Twinhan card (FedEx now says "On FedEx vehicle for delivery!" Can't wait!) and an old already-installed DTV dish; perfect opportunity to experiment. I have a long background in small electronics repair/modification, and am using a small homebuilt (made it yesterday) VHF/UHF antenna of my own design that outperforms the huge standard OTA roof arial- pics available on request by those that want to laugh ;)

Another finding last night.
On a sat between 121 and 127 I found
11940 H 3681 Royal Angel. A channel with fish on it and the time? :cool:

12089 V 30000
11971 V 1799
11769 V 30001
11940 H 8681

Now what sat did I find?
Still looking for G10R with 18"

ken2400 said:
I read so many posting so I might have forgot BUT was wondering did you try pointing it at 119W or 91W??

I find the CBC radio and voice print intesting from time to time on 91W.

CharredPC said:
sidha:

First you will need to acquire a donor lnbf, working or dead. Can you dissect it to the point of scavenging the ferro-ceramic DRO puck, and using pieces of it, change the physical dimensions of the recipient DRO puck -- without inflicting unintentional damage to the delicate surroundings? You won't get very far by adjusting the local oscillator frequency of an lnbf using the fine tune set-screw -- that might be part of it's design. It's only good for a few MHz either way; the LO needs to be lowered 500 MHz from 11250 to 10750 MHz. You might be able to sufficiently drop it (on some lnbf's) with the fine tune screw and allow reception of an uppermost transponder on a Ku satellite -- to prove it works. On (only) the first lnbf I tried, I was able to do just that. It's also necessary to remove the small teflon dielectric wedge (that may or may not be there) from the throat of the feedhorn to convert from circular to linear polarization. If you're familiar with C-band feedhorns and the need to insert a teflon dielectric plate to receive circular transmissions from international satellites like NSS-806, you'll know what I mean. (BTW, I receive digital FTA C-band on that bird using an 5' 10" mesh dish with 17 degree lnb.)

How it all began:
All I had were my Primestar dishes with their Ku lnb's, and I needed more of them for co-feeds. I also wanted to experiment (like the person who began this thread) using 18" dish hardware on the lower power Ku linear band. It was time to think about buying a couple lnbf's, but what to do with all my DBS lnbf's incompatible for serious FTA use? So I thought about attempting a conversion experiment with my growing pile of possibilities. Now I will never need to buy a Ku lnbf nor will I run out of free replacements. And, of course, the experience is priceless.

I removed the outer plastic shell and feed cap from an DTV lnbf and pulled the teflon wedge from the throat of the feed. Then I removed the silicone sealant covering the head of the LO frequency adjust set-screw. I reinstalled the lnbf on the dish and blind scanned on T-5/A-5 with my Pansat. After turning the set-screw a turn or two in either direction, it was able to load the highest transponder at 12.177 V. I had lowered the LO by 23 MHz, extending reception below the lower limit of 12.2 for the DTV lnbf. Of course the IF frequency was the result of an uncalibrated LO so the Pansat computed the frequency as much lower. If you don't have a way to measure the DRO frequency, a blind search receiver is the next best choice to locate what's available in the IF range.

But, only one out of ten of my various DN and DTV lnbf's was built so conveniently for that experiment. It even had screws that held the back plate in place against an O ring. The other lnbf's had press-fit silicon sealed plates that needed to be carefully pried off from the semi-permanent seal. And they did not have removable dielectric wedges, but instead had a shaped form that was molded as part of the cast metal feedhorn throat. I removed all of it by using a file, after removing the entire circuit board to clear the work area. It's not that difficult to do. As far as the ceramic puck (looks like an aspirin tablet), it requires more mass to lower the local oscillator frequency. To increase mass means to add more puck material from the donor lnbf puck. I used a side-cutter to cleave a piece from the puck (inside a plastic bag because it's brittle material that scatters like glass and you don't want to breathe the dust). Using epoxy or super glue, attach a fragment of the donor puck to the top of the other puck. Adding slivers and fragments will alter the dimensions and thus lower the frequency as needed. Just remember to retract the adjusting screw to prevent it from crushing the modified puck due to any change in height. In my case I needed to increase the mass of the puck about 30%; some small fragments were added around the circumference to better maintain the low profile. I replaced the back plate and rescanned for results, adding or removing ceramic material until it was close enough to use the set-screw for fine tuning.

I didn't find any need to modify the front-end bandpass. The lnbf microstrip bandpass, antenna and waveguide are designed for 12.2 - 12.7 instead of 11.7 - 12.2, but my quality readings are comparable using either a standard Ku or DSS modded lnbf on my Primestar. And that's saying something, because the scaler rings on the DSS lnbf are not designed to fully illuminate the wide 1 meter surface of such a (short vertical axis) Ku dish.

There is no standard DBS lnbf to use as a model when it comes to converting from circular to linear polarization, but adjusting the size of the ceramic puck is about the same in each case. I could show you some internal pictures of my lnbf's if you enjoy getting involved with odd projects like this one. There are plenty of surplus lnbf's available. DN installers around this area accumulated piles of dishes and lnb's they removed when upgrading their customers to the super dish. Driving in the country, I still see 18" dishes and Dish 500's left laying on the ground beside poles that now have the super dish. Lots of Primestar poles in the ground with DTV or DN retrofits. But, unfortunately, most of the Primestars (Channel Master built) are long gone in some dump. :( I never seem to be able to find any of the remaining survivors if I'm trying too hard.

-sidha

This sounds like just the sort of idea I'd love to try!

Any pictures you have would be great; it all sounds doable, and you're right, there's more than enough donor parts to be had when it comes to useless DTV lnb's.

Iceberg said:
whoops

I guess I was wrong :)

Interesting place you people have here. I happened to find it while searching for information regarding the status of People's Network, only to be diverted into a discussion about modifying LO pucks. And that leads me to wonder if there are any deviations from past puck size or mass that may critically influence today's performance in the Hockey game field. I figure you're the man to ask.

-sidha

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts