AMEX says VOOM may disconnect

Ti-maniac

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Today I called American Express to dispute VOOM's automatic withdrawal of its monthly fees from my credit card. Now, understand that I am not against automatic withdrawal, I am against VOOM's doing this without authorization.

After my first call to AMEX, they (AMEX) said that they could not automatically block the charge until after the second charge.

Now this is my second call. Also understand that after the first call, VOOM refunded my charter membership $800 for which I waited 12 weeks and Wilt finally solved the problem (Thank you again Wilt). AMEX sent a letter to me and said my initial dispute over month one for $120 was settled.

Then VOOM billed me again for July $94. I called AMEX again and after going over the whole story again, they said "If we dispute this charge VOOM may disconnect your service, and you have to agree to that before we dispute the charge."

Now imagine that! I went ahead anyway, knowing I have the receiver now and will not be inclined to send it back right away if VOOM disconnects me.

Now, some of you may say that when I signed up, I knew and agreed about the automatic withdrawal policy. Well this is not the case, because I was a charter member and signed up last November, when there was no policy. When we finally went to payments in May, VOOM just started charging the same card that I used to purchase the initial receiver.

Add to this that the manager for one of the many CSRs that I have spoken with, agreed to send a paper bill. In addition, on my VOOM on-line account it states that I get a paper bill. I would like a paper bill because VOOMs billing is still extremely messed up, and by getting a paper bill I will not have to go through the huge hassle every month of calling AMEX and disputing an incorrect amount, etc.

When you signed up you authorized automatic withdrawal. When you dispute an amount you should contact both the vendor and your credit card company so both know what is going on. And follow up in writing to resolve any later dispute. Communication is key.

Ti-maniac,

I get a paper bill every month before the money is taken out of my CC. You don't get a paper bill?

Tvlman,
When I signed up, last November, every month was free. There was no policy. The policy became effecive in April. VOOM did not request authority from me to do automatic withdrawals at that time, or since, or before.

I have called VOOM csrs on many many occasions and they said they would change it to a paper bill but never have.

Sean Mota,
I have received only two color junk mail solicitations from VOOM in the mail since last November. Never a bill, account balance, any other contractual material, nor invoice.

Something is wrong with your story. I'm not in anyway saying you are not telling what happened - but American Express in particular will block a vendor even if no charges have ever been made. That process is not a dispute process. The dispute process is only for charges that have been made that you, well, dispute! Not allowing charges in the future is a separate process. I did it with Cingular after they kept charging to my card even though I had told them to stop it. American Express immediately upon my call no longer allowed charges to Cingular.

American Express said it would take two charges to block the vendor. However, in my case, since there was a perceived settlement (the $800 charter refund) then that effectively reset the clock, and caused AMEX to conclude the matter was settled, thus starting all over again.

Regarding the disputed charges, I am disputing the two months worth of charges that were made on AMEX as unauthorized. Even though I clearly owe the money, I did not authorize the charge to AMEX and requested on numberous occasions that VOOM invoice me by mail, such that I may use a check.

By the way last night I wrote the following email to VOOM on my VOOM personal page:

"Please note I have filed with American Express a dispute regarding your unauthorized billing of my credit card. As my record with you will indicate, I have discussed this matter with numerous CSRs as I was a charter member, and no automatic withdrawal was agree to at that time. One CSR agreed to paper billing which appears on my on-line data today.

Sorry it has to go to this extreme, please get your act together."

This was VOOM's response to me:

"Response (Tyler L.) - 08/04/2004 12:17 AM
Thank you for contacting VOOM
I can certainly help you with your antenna upgrade, however you have not provided the necessary information for me to do so. If you were to reply with your full name, service address, phone number and account number (if possible), I would be more than happy to get that setup for you. Please rest assured as soon as we can get this information from you, we will do all we can to get this resolved in a timely manner. Thank you for choosing VOOM - the leader in HDTV!
Jennifer Bernsdorf
VOOM email support"

Simply amazing!

Update on the story --

After two months, VOOM never responded to the AMEX request for information, so I have been credited for all VOOM charges! I received a notice from AMEX that their investigation is completed and the initial credit on my account will remain.

Thank you AMEX, too bad VOOM. That's what you get when you have an ineffective bureaucracy.

Its too bad actually, I am not sure the company is going to make it at this point.

I have had two additional charges AFTER my last month of service. I keep disputing them and I keep getting charged. I asked my CC company if they can block the new charges, but they told me I have to call and dispute the charges when they occur.

The next time it happens, I will call my CC company and tell them that, if they cannot block charges from this company, I'll cancel my credit card. I am a MASSIVE user of thier credit card and they have given me free money when I threatened to quit before. I have been a customer of theirs for 8 years and I have not paid a penny of interest or late fees. Basically, they make money every time I buy something (3% from what I understand.) They will want to keep me around.

Absolutely frankly, I hope the worst for Voom. :dev :haha

Ti-maniac said:
American Express said it would take two charges to block the vendor. However, in my case, since there was a perceived settlement (the $800 charter refund) then that effectively reset the clock, and caused AMEX to conclude the matter was settled, thus starting all over again.

Regarding the disputed charges, I am disputing the two months worth of charges that were made on AMEX as unauthorized. Even though I clearly owe the money, I did not authorize the charge to AMEX and requested on numberous occasions that VOOM invoice me by mail, such that I may use a check.

By the way last night I wrote the following email to VOOM on my VOOM personal page:

"Please note I have filed with American Express a dispute regarding your unauthorized billing of my credit card. As my record with you will indicate, I have discussed this matter with numerous CSRs as I was a charter member, and no automatic withdrawal was agree to at that time. One CSR agreed to paper billing which appears on my on-line data today.

Sorry it has to go to this extreme, please get your act together."

This was VOOM's response to me:

"Response (Tyler L.) - 08/04/2004 12:17 AM
Thank you for contacting VOOM
I can certainly help you with your antenna upgrade, however you have not provided the necessary information for me to do so. If you were to reply with your full name, service address, phone number and account number (if possible), I would be more than happy to get that setup for you. Please rest assured as soon as we can get this information from you, we will do all we can to get this resolved in a timely manner. Thank you for choosing VOOM - the leader in HDTV!
Jennifer Bernsdorf
VOOM email support"

Simply amazing!
Jennifer should be fired. She is a horrible representive of the type of people VOOM should be hiring. I had an issue with her where she flat out disregarded a policy I had in writing for charter members mirroring fees. She is very very rude and could care a less about keeping VOOM customers. Thanks to Wilt and Lori at corporat, this issue was resolved. Her boss Philip should be replaced as well as he continually made promises of returning my calls which he never did. This is not a way to treat customers. On the other hand supervisors such as Jerimiah should be commended for his kindness and willingness to help customers.

ChetK said:
... I am a MASSIVE user of thier credit card and they have given me free money when I threatened to quit before. I have been a customer of theirs for 8 years and I have not paid a penny of interest or late fees. Basically, they make money every time I buy something (3% from what I understand.) They will want to keep me around.

Actually, those of us who always pay the CC balance on time and don't pay any interest or fees are NOT their most desirable customers. 3% is peanuts compared with what they get from their most attractive customers who max out their CC and every month pay just the required minimum or are late with their payments.

andrzej said:
Actually, those of us who always pay the CC balance on time and don't pay any interest or fees are NOT their most desirable customers. 3% is peanuts compared with what they get from their most attractive customers who max out their CC and every month pay just the required minimum or are late with their payments.

Correct. 3-4% from sales compared to 3-4% PLUS 18-24% in interest fees for carrying the balance.

Sure, more interest is great for them...But it doesn't really matter if you charge $10,000 to your card and only pay the minimum of $30 every month. Of course you're paying interest in the long run, but they also don't have your $10,000. I think they'd rather have the stores 3% fee (I spend tens of thousands of dollars every year with my CC) than nothing at all. In reality, it's only 2% after they give me my 1% cash back.

So, the CC company is giving me free money for the convenience of using their card in which I have never paid a penny for.

I know, I know, it's a bad cycle because the more my CC company charges the seller, the higher the prices are driven. But, in my mind, the prices are going to go up either way so I might as well get my 1% cash back. That's 1 more percent than the guy who is paying cash for the same product.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)