Amusing D* upgrade

Status
Please reply by conversation.
V, I and a number of others have joked in the past about D* doing stuff on purpose to "mess with your mind" because of your generally negative attitude(s) about them but (if this picture is real), I'm now convinced that they really are messing with you.

Call them and have them come back out and do the job right.
Its real. Its no bg deal really, I will fix it. Funny how it seems to happen to me though. You know what is eve stranger? Last year I got my HR20-100 and they day D* showed up the AC broke the night before.... The other day when I got the HR21 installed, again the AC broke the night before. I guess if I want air conditioning I need to keep D* away.

You know what is eve stranger? Last year I got my HR20-100 and they day D* showed up the AC broke the night before.... The other day when I got the HR21 installed, again the AC broke the night before. I guess if I want air conditioning I need to keep D* away.

Maybe you should try not to call them in the summer :D

Jimbo

anyone have a source for a box for this thing. Plenty of metal and PVC type electrical boxes around but I have yet to find a plastic one with a quickly removeable cover like the cable box. Say 10x 10 x 4 or 12 x 12 x 4 ??

Yeah that 10x 10 one looks like it will work. They had 10 x 10 at HomeDepot and Lowes but they were electrial JB's grey PVC and you needed to remove 4 screws with a driver to open them. Thanks charper.

PS 12 x 12 would be better, then I think I could fit in the internet cable connection too and eliminate the cable co's box.

Last edited:
All I have to say is what Mastec and these companies pay their installers is a crime. 20 bucks? No wonder I ended up with this bologna.

After my install I looked in the crawl space and the multiswitch was just layin on the ground inside the door. I picked it up and mounted it on the wall. Took more time to find four screws and get my driver drill out than it did to mount it right.

PS 12 x 12 would be better, then I think I could fit in the internet cable connection too and eliminate the cable co's box.

I'd be careful messing around with the cable co stuff. If it's anything like Comcast here, their box is a 2 compartment enclosure, with a customer access side and a restricted side that has the tamper lock on it. Apparently they like to put all of their traps in the restricted side. Last year (when I still had Comcast for HD locals), I needed to remove the enclosure to make some siding repairs. All of the mounting screws were in the locked side, and after 3 unsuccessful calls to Comcast asking someone to come remove the enclosure, I cut the plastic tamper lock and didi it myself. After completing my repairs, I called them back to tell them that they could come re-secure their enclosure. That got someone's attention since the next day a tech was there to put a new tamper lock on and the day after I received a nice "cease and desist" letter from Comcast legal threatening to have me arrested for theft of service (I wasn't stealing anything, and if I were, I don't think I would have called them to let them know about it).

I did learn something interesting. I couldnt remember which cables ran to the house and which ran to the dish. The tech said " no problem" as he stuck each one, one at a time to his tongue. LOL

Damn, and people made fun of my SWM8 install because I didnt have weather boots :haha

In all honestly, that sucks. The Dish guy ran a cable into my Cox junction, but thats crazy.

All I have to say is what Mastec and these companies pay their installers is a crime. 20 bucks? No wonder I ended up with this bologna.

I wonder if D* buying these companies out is going to change anything. Mastec seems to be a bad company to work for.

When I can, I just install it myself and stock spares.

I'd be careful messing around with the cable co stuff. If it's anything like Comcast here, their box is a 2 compartment enclosure, with a customer access side and a restricted side that has the tamper lock on it.
LMAO. Its a small 10 dollar plastic box. I found it on the net, the exact same one. The cable co. was the one that started using a zip tie as a lock on the bottom.

correct instalation practice for an exposed multiswitch include correct drip loops, ports pointing horizontally, ports fitted with weather bootgs and/or dielectric grease , open ports terminated, and all fittins torqued to 30 inch pounds.

The proper practice for installing an exposed ground block or multiswitch include correct drip loops, ports aligned horizontally, weather boots or dielectric grease used for weatherproof connections, open ports terminated, and all fittings torqued to 30 inch pounds. Your upgrade would fail a QC without even looking inside that box, sadly to say...

Here the one I installed, actually two including a relocated/replaced cable box for internet service.

Attachments

• box1.JPG
    box1.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 147
  • box2.JPG
    box2.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 152
The proper practice for installing an exposed ground block or multiswitch include correct drip loops, ports aligned horizontally, weather boots or dielectric grease used for weatherproof connections, open ports terminated, and all fittings torqued to 30 inch pounds. Your upgrade would fail a QC without even looking inside that box, sadly to say...
all open ports where capped.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts