ANIK F2 - Thy End Is Near

While it's nice to know we have a few more months of sporadic reception, I'll be sorry to see this go. I've been watching Canadian television (most notably CBC) since 1985, when I got my first C-band satellite dish and CBC TV and radio were FTA (including the days of analog SCPC). Of course, I eventually had to shift to the pay services -- one after the other. Shaw could keep me as a subscriber post-F1 if they weren't so strict about VPN access to Ignite.

I think I'm in a marginal area where the coverage map suggests I might receive the new G1 Ku signals with my 10-foot dish, but due to channel mapping and polarization issues, I suspect this is impractical. (Come to think of it, I guess everything will now be on G1, meaning the parabolic dual-satellite dishes we had to buy will no longer be necessary even for those in peak signal areas.) Even if I could receive G1 signal with a bigger dish, I see Shaw is not exactly calling attention to the fact that, in the future, you can't own your own HVEC receiver, you have to lease it from them and return it at end of use.

Yes, I know about IPTV and streaming methods, but I'd rather pick up a signal and use a receiver whenever possible.

Shaw could keep me as a subscriber post-F1 if they weren't so strict about VPN access to Ignite.

I see Shaw is not exactly calling attention to the fact that, in the future, you can't own your own HVEC receiver, you have to lease it from them and return it at end of use.

Yes, I know about IPTV and streaming methods, but I'd rather pick up a signal and use a receiver whenever possible.

These are all very good points. Even so, maybe we should start a thread here or elsewhere on how to get replacement Canadian content in the USA (I guess it has to be streaming)?

Last edited:
These are all very good points. Even so, maybe we should start a thread here or elsewhere on how to get replacement Canadian content in the USA (I guess it has to be streaming)?
A new thread would be appropriate as the alternatives probably won't involve Anik F2 or Canadian satellite TV in general.

i wish i had a signal till the end missing the cfl will have to incress my bill to Directv to get cbs sports but the dont shoe all the games. some of you are lucky to have a few more months of service. for me no signal since last month.

yes losAngeles Playa Del Rey california i checked the dish a moved the cable to other ports it seems it might be a lnb not worth the service at this point with f2 dying soon and the g1 issue thanks for responding

Reactions: nelson61
i wish i had a signal till the end missing the cfl will have to incress my bill to Directv to get cbs sports but the dont shoe all the games. some of you are lucky to have a few more months of service. for me no signal since last month.
The cfl games that are not on cbs sports network you can see for free on the cfl website

Reactions: -Jim-
….Shaw could keep me as a subscriber post-F1 if they weren't so strict about VPN access to Ignite.
This has been driving me nuts trying to get around - what are they doing to detect out-of-Canada devices? Ignite (formerly Blue Curve) is impossible to access via VPN when traveling, vacationing, whatever. I‘ve even tried geo-location apps on Android devices that work with everything BUT Ignite. Any idea what their technology is doing? Getting Ignite to work would solve all the G1 reception woes.

Ignite (formerly Blue Curve) is impossible to access via VPN when traveling, vacationing, whatever. I‘ve even tried geo-location apps on Android devices that work with everything BUT Ignite.
They're probably mapping IP address ranges to VPN providers.

If you have a decent internet connection at your home location, set up a home server and a client on whatever device you want to receive the stream.
You can do it yourself - openvpn or whatever, or you can buy a preloaded server and client (NUC or similar) if you are not technically inclined.
Then you have a rock solid home presence where ever you are.

You can do it yourself - openvpn or whatever, or you can buy a preloaded server and client (NUC or similar) if you are not technically inclined.
Then you have a rock solid home presence where ever you are.
How do you get the desired content loaded on the server such that it can then be streamed to remote devices?