Another reason to hate Sony and their formats.

Going to try to pigenhole you here. Would you happen to be Right wing conservative?
Thats more of a question for "the pit", but ill bite.
COnservative, yes. That being said, my views on political matters isnt hinged on one party or way of thinking. I think through the issues, sometimes it sides with the right, sometimes the left

Keep posting things like that to back up your argument and i wont have to back down.:D

See here I was holding out a olive branch, all you had to say Was. nah, Just like screwing with you. :D

I also was trying to loosen up the thread he he. :D

LOL, I knew it. Kinda Like Rush Limbaugh to. But thats ok, It's somebody I could take out to a Bar with me and never have to worry about them trying to screw me over. he he. Course arguing with this kind of person does tend to do nothing but aggravate. Can never seem to hit a middle ground. he he.

Thats why i put in the :D

Good show then :D

:up

Anyway... DRM and Fair Use laws.

I know I support Fair Use laws, And I know with Sony BMG (not gaming division) it makes me dis like Sony more. Even if you do not think about the PS3 or other things. How do you feel about the RIAA and MPAA and how will this affect the Blue Ray - HD-DVD war (you like how I worked this in here)

After all Sony BMG Root kit had me rebuilding 20+ machines here on Campus, and that really erked me.

Good show then :D

:up

Anyway... DRM and Fair Use laws.

I know I support Fair Use laws, And I know with Sony BMG (not gaming division) it makes me dis like Sony more. Even if you do not think about the PS3 or other things. How do you feel about the RIAA and MPAA and how will this affect the Blue Ray - HD-DVD war (you like how I worked this in here)

After all Sony BMG Root kit had me rebuilding 20+ machines here on Campus, and that really erked me.
Honestly i am mixed on the subject.
People should be free to transfer the stuff they paid for to whatever format they want to use it on. However I can see the argument for it too.
I would really have to read more info on it to make a bold statement for or against. For right now, i would say it doesnt bother me that much.

Honestly i am mixed on the subject.
People should be free to transfer the stuff they paid for to whatever format they want to use it on. However I can see the argument for it too.
I would really have to read more info on it to make a bold statement for or against. For right now, i would say it doesnt bother me that much.

Yeah on subjects like this a wait and see method may not be in the best interest though. Wait and see usually = law getting passed.

Cant you at least see part of there argument for it though?
Yeah I see it. Piracy. Wrote a huge paper on it to. (In relation to why Mod chips should be legalized)

Wrong method to stop piracy though. Did the research. Best way to slow piracy down is to tie personal numbers such as credit cards and SSN to the original software. (don't make it locked) If people are foolish enough to share after that point then they deserve to be prosecuted.

Yeah I see it. Piracy. Wrote a huge paper on it to. (In relation to why Mod chips should be legalized)

Wrong method to stop piracy though. Did the research. Best way to slow piracy down is to tie personal numbers such as credit cards and SSN to the original software. (don't make it locked) If people are foolish enough to share after that point then they deserve to be prosecuted.
That could lead to privacy advocates complaining though

That could lead to privacy advocates complaining though

As compared to getting sued for putting your Music from your 1980s CD's on to your brand new IPod....

I was just looking at it from their point of view. This is the wrong way to stop Piracy.

:D

As compared to getting sued for putting your Music from your 1980s CD's on to your brand new IPod....

I was just looking at it from their point of view. This is the wrong way to stop Piracy.

:D
As i said before though, how often does this actually happen.
Sure you hear of one here or there, but generally, they go after the worst offenders if anyone.

Nah, they go after a lot of people, hundreds at a time RIAA Watch . Just most settle out of Court. the ones you hear about are the ones that fight back.
Impressive numbers IF the blog can be trusted. I couldnt get any of the newsletters to open and the page was buggy, so I am not sure how valid it is.
Even so, that is a drop in the bucket when you consider the sheer number of people in the country.
Doesnt make me change my mind that those were PROBABLY some of the worst offenders

Wow, it has taken me quite a while to read where this thread has gone since I last posted on it, and get caught up...

On the fair use issue: I think we pretty much all agree what we should be able to do (i.e. backing up copies of things we paid for, using them on other devices). Problem is, there's no perfect way to ensure that we can do that without being opened up to piracy. So, the companies try to push their way, and fair use advocates and others push back, and things stay somewhere in the middle. That dialogue needs to continue to maintain the validity of this part of our economy. If the fair use people give up, we'll be locked into a very tight system of checks that would make it tough to be an electronics lover (although someone would still figure out a way around it). If the companies give up, unscruplous souls will have free rein to completely undermine their ability to make a profit, and then there wouldn't be anyone left to give us our content to begin with. So, it is what it is, and it's that way for a reason. Welcome to America. I could bring up plenty of other topics that work the same way, but I don't want to take us too far off topic. Feel free to respond if you want (and I'm sure you will), but I'm done with that topic.

On the PS3 thing, I'm not going to get back into the 360 v PS3 debate, because that could go on forever - but I do have to go back to this quote (which is very similar to the one you made that touched off that whole string)...

But the PS3 should have been a lot more. Sony dropped the ball. The system for what it was hyped to be. Is Crap. Pretty simple statement.

...and say that, yes, it is a pretty simple statement. It's simply wrong. You may not like the PS3, and that's fine by me. But to say it's crap when it does so many things well is completely off base and strikes me as the rantings of someone who is horribly uninformed and/or is a raving fanboy/troll.

I don't particularly care for the 360, but you'll never hear me say it's crap. I know a lot of people love it, and it does games very well. If someone prefers that to the PS3, it's their choice.

BTW, the PS3 Blu-Ray drive is 2x, not 1x.

Wow, it has taken me quite a while to read where this thread has gone since I last posted on it, and get caught up...

On the fair use issue: I think we pretty much all agree what we should be able to do (i.e. backing up copies of things we paid for, using them on other devices). Problem is, there's no perfect way to ensure that we can do that without being opened up to piracy. So, the companies try to push their way, and fair use advocates and others push back, and things stay somewhere in the middle. That dialogue needs to continue to maintain the validity of this part of our economy. If the fair use people give up, we'll be locked into a very tight system of checks that would make it tough to be an electronics lover (although someone would still figure out a way around it). If the companies give up, unscruplous souls will have free rein to completely undermine their ability to make a profit, and then there wouldn't be anyone left to give us our content to begin with. So, it is what it is, and it's that way for a reason. Welcome to America. I could bring up plenty of other topics that work the same way, but I don't want to take us too far off topic. Feel free to respond if you want (and I'm sure you will), but I'm done with that topic.

On the PS3 thing, I'm not going to get back into the 360 v PS3 debate, because that could go on forever - but I do have to go back to this quote (which is very similar to the one you made that touched off that whole string)...

...and say that, yes, it is a pretty simple statement. It's simply wrong. You may not like the PS3, and that's fine by me. But to say it's crap when it does so many things well is completely off base and strikes me as the rantings of someone who is horribly uninformed and/or is a raving fanboy/troll.

I don't particularly care for the 360, but you'll never hear me say it's crap. I know a lot of people love it, and it does games very well. If someone prefers that to the PS3, it's their choice.

BTW, the PS3 Blu-Ray drive is 2x, not 1x.

Ok, fair enough, still slower that DVD 9 until it reaches 4x though. :D

Ok, fair enough, still slower that DVD 9 until it reaches 4x though. :D

Yep. But it hasn't bothered me yet on my PS3. If the biggest of my problems is that it takes 60 seconds instead of 30 to load a level, I think I'll survive. I mean, really... you brought up a similar point: if you have to switch discs once in 20 hours, big deal. Well, if I have to wait 30 more seconds once every 20-30 minutes, big deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts