Antenna Thread!

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
I currently have up a G5RV wich is not in the best of spots as I bearly have the room for it. I was thinking about going with a vertical anteanna. The goal was to get an all bander antenna with one coax. What recommendations do you have, especally for someone who has a typical city lot!

73 Thanks for your help. K9SAT

Bob unless you only want to work DX then the vertical is great. For local communications especially on 75 and 160 consider a dipole or better yet a Cobra Multiband Antenna the one I have is 140 ft long and center fed with 450 ladderline.

Check out the Cobra at Cobra UltraLite Antennas - The Alternative Multi-Band Solution - Home Page and go to the reviews section at eHam.net Home - Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community Site for the all the reviews on it.

I have the cobra senior which is good 160-6. (Note all Cobra antenna require a antenna tuner.) There is a 73 ft version thats good for 80-10 and also a 41 ft version that covers 40-10.

I own the very first Cobra Joe made (prototype) and have used it now for about 7 yrs and have worked the world with just 100watts. IMHO the best multiband antenna out there.

73 Bob N1WBD

Bob- You are a wise man choosing ladder line- I got rid of ALL my RFI and SWR problems when I switched to ladder line and a big tuner. I fed coad to the tuner in my garage ( outside wall ) so the ladder line could feed through an outside wall. While a balun worked for coax on the dipoles, they don't last when running high power. Properly designed antenna tuners are much more efficient than coax and baluns.

Yes indeed they do and the cobra works great much better than a G5RV.

Bob- You are a wise man choosing ladder line- I got rid of ALL my RFI and SWR problems when I switched to ladder line and a big tuner. I fed coad to the tuner in my garage ( outside wall ) so the ladder line could feed through an outside wall. While a balun worked for coax on the dipoles, they don't last when running high power. Properly designed antenna tuners are much more efficient than coax and baluns.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)