Any Surprises Coming?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

excableguy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2006
Getting Direct tomorrow, leaving Dish...
Whole House DVR question: I understand that I won't get 1080p due to the fact that my main tv has DVI or Component hookup, but will get 1080i.
Upstairs tv 720p HDMI connection, but looks good even now with Dish.
Now main tv is hooked up component. When I got the Dish install, the guy said the DVI /HDMI cord wouldn't work on the VIP622. On the back panel, it didn't say HDMI at the input. Shouldn't be a problem with the HR24, right?
Thanks.

Could you please clarify your question, and perhaps someone will be able to help. Your question and statement is a bit vague, however, from what I can gather you are hooking up two TV sets, one set with component / audio and one with HDMI to one receiver, so where does MRV (multi room viewing) come in?

You can run an HDMI->DVI cable just fine off Directv receivers, provided the monitor/TV receives 1280x720 or 1920x1080. You will need to run seperate audio with this hookup.

I guess I'm wondering that because I have an older tv(DVI or Component) and a newer one(HDMI), I won't be able to use the Whole Home DVR option that ordered. Right now I have the ability to record/watch/delete between both sets with the Dish DVR(622). If for some reason, the DVI connection is faulty on the tv, I could still use the Component connection and still get the WHDVR service, that is, just swap out the HR24 in the same way my Dish is connected now?

Using component on one, and HDMI on the other wont stop you from using the whole home service.

well, 4.5 hours later, install complete! everything looks great, one problem: the guide just shows about 1 day in advance so far. I'm thinking maybe it just hasn't had enough time to install, I'll give it till overnight and see what happens. You supposed to turn off the receiver overnight, or just leave it up and running? DVI to HDMI working fine, also. Thanks for all the input!

If you have a DVR the only thing turning the receiver off does is turning off the video output. The DVR itself never shuts down. You guide will have more information over the next day or two.

well, 4.5 hours later, install complete! everything looks great, one problem: the guide just shows about 1 day in advance so far. I'm thinking maybe it just hasn't had enough time to install, I'll give it till overnight and see what happens.
thats about right. After a reset or an install you have 24 hour on the guide. It slowly fills in and tomorrow you should have close to a 14 day guide (for a DVR...7 for a HD receiver)

Well, here's my final assessment on the whole install, etc... I guess I'd rather have a long (4.5hrs) install than a 1/2 hr one. I choose a local dealer(Erie Satellite), and I'm glad I did. All went well - HR24 + H25 receiver, working fine. Guide is filling up, and I have to say that the picture is a pretty big step up from what I had from Dish. Will be cancelling them today. Overall, I would say Dish was pretty good, way better than TimeWarner was, but losing MSG and my Buffalo Sabres was what put me over the top. Would I ever return? Hey, after 2 years, I'll look at every option. Thanks for helping with all advice!

When dish lost the Sabres, they lost me after ten+ years, the final straw. I'm so glad I finally pulled the trigger and switched to Directv. The receivers are so much nicer, the picture quality is so much better, and I love the whole-home deal. I wish that I could have AMC in HD, but I'd rather have the Sabres than AMC. I doubt I would ever go back to dish, the only way is if I suddenly stopped being a Sabres' fan and that isn't going to happen any time soon!

Good luck and this is an awesome place if questions arise.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirecTV 2 PC Software v. 7507 8/1/11

Continue using legacy receiver with SWM HD DVR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts