Are you having "Black Outs" using DVI?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jimmykce1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Would like to know how many of you still are having the random "black screen" . If you are also experiencing "black outs" with the other types of connections, please leave a response.

Let's clarify what exactly we are talking about. There are different types of black-outs that I have observed:
1. From time to time I am getting periodic black-outs on HBO HD. This happens over DVI and Component too and seem to be specific to this channel. I was watching a movie on HBO the other day, and it started happening every minute or even more frequently. I switched to another channel - no black-outs. Switch back to HBO and it's there. Seems to be channel-specific. (I might have seen this on some other channel too, still I believe this is not an STB issue, but something on the broadcasting end.)
2. If you are using "Native" resolution mode you will see a black-out usually accompanied with a "Snow" screen when you switch between channels with different resolutions (e.g. between SD and HD). This is a known issue.
3. Not too long ago, (in the previous version I think) there were black outs (and "snow" screens over DVI) happening from time to time on pretty much all HD channels. I am not seeing this now.

I get type 1.

Type 2 is there and it is known if you are using Native Mode Resolution.

Type 3 is not there anymore....

I hope Voom can get a fix for these random events. I am like you Sean, one day it works completly fine than the next its back.

The past four days I haven't had any problems with screens "blacking out". Hopefully this is permanent now. So I am back to using the DVI connection. I am hoping to get my bigger dish tomorrow. The installer said the dishes were on order and had to wait two weeks.

I've noticed the First option on HBOHD, TNTHD, and saturday I noticed it on Rave as well. I've swapped back and forth from DVI to component and seen it on each. I have also switched between channels and to see if its all channels but not found it. I've also noticed that it may happen on HBOHD but not TNT or RAVE at the same time. The black-out I'm seeing is like an exagerated "blink".

jimmykce1 said:
I hope Voom can get a fix for these random events. I am like you Sean, one day it works completly fine than the next its back.

I have been told that this is fixed in the new software. So hang on...

I normally have a small 13" monitor on while I am viewing my projector, I use it as a PIP screen to monitor either a recording I am doing or a channel to see when the commercial is over. The connection to this monitor is via composite and if I am watching Voom on both displays, they both blank at the same time, so it is happening on all outputs. I also get the blank outs when I record via S-Video.

It seems to happen with any channel I watch, but I only watch the Voom HD channels, I don't have the VaVaVoom pack.

Darrell,

I was getting black outs even on my OTA channels, but , as I mentioned above, over the past 4 days I have no problems.

Can you guys tell me what a "native" resolution mode is?

Sorry I am an HDnewb

DBENE said:
Can you guys tell me what a "native" resolution mode is?

Sorry I am an HDnewb

The STB pass the signal as it's being received from the programmer. That is, 4:3 as 4:3, 480p as 480p, 720p as 720p and 1080i as 1080i.

I get the blackouts randomly on ALL channels including locals, I have done countless reboots solid sat signal of 95 ota varries

rc

Sean Mota said:
The STB pass the signal as it's being received from the programmer. That is, 4:3 as 4:3, 480p as 480p, 720p as 720p and 1080i as 1080i.

What are the altervatives to "native" resolution?

I am guessing that the box will auto change 4:3 into 16:9 and upconvert stuff.....correct?

I was getting some last Friday night watching HBOHD, "True Lies"

it went black several times towards the end of the flick. However I was using component.

I got Type 3 over DVI. The DVI was put in on June 8, before it was connected with components input. There was no problem with components input, but with DVI I get random "snow" screen on pretty much all the HD channels I was watching. Switch channel and switch back fixed it, but the "snow" screen happens on average about every half hour to 1 hour. The channels I have seen this on were WorldSport, MAXHD, Gallary, NBC (OTA), and PBS (OTA).

Well, since this post I have had no more problems with black screens. So I have been enjoying my DVI connection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)