Are you still having problems with your VOOM box (OTA Problems)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hd_SDI_1080i said:
install happened today - installer really did not know much about OTA.

zapit does show more channels than are mapped on my box. How does one get through to voom tech support ? ... will I have to beg a CSR to put me through.

thanks.

P

Just call and you will get a menu and ask you to get tech support.

dragonldy at Yahoo Group posted this about the new boxes:

For all of you who have been schooled in Factory Resets, please
resist the urge.

Factory Resets are no longer part of our Trouble Shooting arsenal.
Why? Because, often they cause more troubles then and they solve.

It was my experience that sending a 'Refresh' message to the box
often did just as much good as a FR, and none of the residuals.

Factory Resets, require a Manual Tune and a message from Installs or
the Call Center to complete them...so PLEASE, PLEASE discontinue this
tactic...Especially with the new 'preloaded' boxes.

So it is better not to do a factory reset and let's see what tech support can do for you. If that does not help, you can always take the risk of the factory reset.

16 Days and still no OTA's

Let me start off by saying that I love Voom's HDTV and am very satisfied with the great picture quality and selection of programming.
Now, I just got off the phone with Voom about my continuing OTA mapping troubles.
Had my two receiver install on Feb 10th and I'm still without a channel map.
I've made six calls to Voom and not had any real progress made yet.
One service call by the installer on Feb 24th to recheck original install and all is "OK"
Roof top antenna, which is connected to OTA module, Radio Shack 120", gets perfect reception of analog signals of same station with transmission towers standing next to each other.
There is only 1 channel I'm trying to receive and I can't get it.
One thing I know for sure is Voom's channel map for my area is incorrect as is the N.A.B. map. Both list KSBY-DT (that has not even begun testing) as a station available to me, but do not list KCOY-DT that is currently broadcasting digital signals full time and HDTV during primetime hours.
Voom's CSR now says it's Motorola's problem and suggests I contact them.
I guess I should be asking: how can I get whoever can to correct or update the map for my area: zip code 93436?

HD Junkie,

email me at Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us send me your address, telephone#, zipcode and which station you should get. I will send it to the guy in charge of this and hopefully it will be worked on. There are others in your situation waiting for incorrect mapping to be corrected by Tribune. See this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=4711

I will merge yours to this one to keep all information related to the same problems together.

Sean Mota said:
So zap2it shows more than what you have on your PG, correct?

Yes that is correct. The worst part is there is another channel that has gone digital that is not on the PG or on zap2it.

Oh and I was installed 2/2/04.

VewDew said:
Yes that is correct. The worst part is there is another channel that has gone digital that is not on the PG or on zap2it.

Oh and I was installed 2/2/04.

email me at Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us send me your address, telephone#, zipcode and which station you should get. I will send it to the guy in charge of this and hopefully it will be worked on. There are others in your situation waiting for incorrect mapping to be corrected by Tribune. See this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=4711

adtoolco said:
Anyword on the "scanning" feature? I think this will solve everyones mapping problem. If I was Voom or Motorola I would be concentrating on this.

-Chris

April 2004 is the "scanning" feature date as of today.

HD Junkie,

it seems that for your location www.antennaweb.org only reports KEYT-DT 27 ABC which is now in testing mode. It looks like antennaweb.org has designated your zipcode as a location that will not be able to pick up the digital signal coming from KCOY-DT. Now does it mean that if you are able to get the analog, you should also be able to get the digital signal. Do you kow anybody who is getting the digital signal, in your area, from KCOY-DT? I am trying to get more information as well. So not everything is lost yet.

here's the actual email I got:

Not a good location for OTA it seems - I have requested Tribune add KCOY, but Antennaweb does not think he'll get it. He should get KEYT (ABC) per Antennaweb. We didn't have that one either, so that is requested also (status is "testing", so it may not be live).

Sean Mota said:
HD Junkie,

it seems that for your location www.antennaweb.org only reports KEYT-DT 27 ABC which is now in testing mode. It looks like antennaweb.org has designated your zipcode as a location that will not be able to pick up the digital signal coming from KCOY-DT. Now does it mean that if you are able to get the analog, you should also be able to get the digital signal. Do you kow anybody who is getting the digital signal, in your area, from KCOY-DT? I am trying to get more information as well. So not everything is lost yet.

here's the actual email I got:

I,m sorry Sean but no, I don't know anybody in my "local area" that picks up KCOYDT. Very few have digital, much less, HD TV's.
Here's the reason I think I could receive the transmission : my zip: 93436 encompasses many miles of undulating-rolling hills, and I am situated near the top of one and overlook the valley that most of my zipcode covers. I know they, down in the valley, will not be able to receive that signal.
Another reason is that a nearby zipcode, where I work: 93454 is in full view of the KCOYDT tower and yet that station is not listed for that zipcode either!!!

Thanks again Sean for your truly amazing efforts to make this forum as good as it is. Please, don't burn youself out!!!

HD Junkie

HD Junkie,

I got a message that VOOM will be requesting Tribune to add the station to your zipcode regardless of what antennaweb.org says. So the request was today for KCOY-DT and KEYT (ABC).

Attached is an extact copy of what antennaweb.org says about my local HD channels and my location. Will the OTA antenna that comes with the initial setup of the equipment be good enough to get all these channels. I'm less than 30 miles away from all the towers.

Thanks in advance....

If anyone lives in Miami and has Voom please let me know how its going for you.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 115
pOiNTBLaNK said:
Attached is an extact copy of what antennaweb.org says about my local HD channels and my location. Will the OTA antenna that comes with the initial setup of the equipment be good enough to get all these channels. I'm less than 30 miles away from all the towers.

Thanks in advance....

If anyone lives in Miami and has Voom please let me know how its going for you.

It looks fine to me. More importantly enter your zipcode at this site and make sure that the mapping that VOOM uses is correctly identifying all your OTA channels.

HERE:

http://tvlistings4.zap2it.com/cabdbs/grid.asp?partner_id=cabdbs

Also, I STRONGLY SUGGEST NOT TO USE THE DISPLEXER. HAVE THE INSTALLER RUN TWO SEPARATE LINES. ONE FOR OTA AND THE OTHER FOR SATELLITE.

I will definetly ask the installer to run 2 seperate lines.

I checked on zap2it to compare listings from what I found on atennaweb.org.

6 of 12 channels are identified and labeled correctly

the other 6 channels show different channel numbers on atennaweb but are shown in zap2it

I live in Chicago and WTTW channel 11 is multicasting but voom only maps one channel I called and they did not have an answer as to how to fix it. Also WCIU channel 26 is listed on antennaweb as broadcasting digitally but once again voom box does not list channel and zap2it doesn't either. How can I get Voom to let me see these OTA channels. My zip code is 60645. Any help would be much appreciated since WCIU shows many sporting events.

Scott

OTA Mapping

Sean Mota said:
HD Junkie,

I got a message that VOOM will be requesting Tribune to add the station to your zipcode regardless of what antennaweb.org says. So the request was today for KCOY-DT and KEYT (ABC).

Thanks for all your help, Sean.
You have already done more in just a few hours than Voom has done in two weeks.

slyscooter said:
I live in Chicago and WTTW channel 11 is multicasting but voom only maps one channel I called and they did not have an answer as to how to fix it. Also WCIU channel 26 is listed on antennaweb as broadcasting digitally but once again voom box does not list channel and zap2it doesn't either. How can I get Voom to let me see these OTA channels. My zip code is 60645. Any help would be much appreciated since WCIU shows many sporting events.

Scott

Also, email me your information and I will pass it along as well.

email me at Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us send me your address, telephone#, zipcode and which station you should get. I will send it to the guy in charge of this and hopefully it will be worked on. There are others in your situation waiting for incorrect mapping to be corrected by Tribune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)