Are you still having problems with your VOOM box (OTA Problems)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean Mota said:
Also, email me your information and I will pass it along as well.

email me at Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us send me your address, telephone#, zipcode and which station you should get. I will send it to the guy in charge of this and hopefully it will be worked on. There are others in your situation waiting for incorrect mapping to be corrected by Tribune.

Thanks for all the help, This forum is a great place to learn about VOOM.
I can't watch SDTV any more, VOOM is staying in my house

Scott Nelson

VOOM's OTA Antenna

Hey guys,

Can someone clue me in on how the VOOM OTA Antenna works? Do they put it on your roof?

Bill

WLong said:
Hey guys,

Can someone clue me in on how the VOOM OTA Antenna works? Do they put it on your roof?

Bill

Yes, it is put on the roof. The installer will tell you to use the displexer. I am against it and will rather run two separate lines. One for OTA and the other for Satellite.

Could I split the signal from that antenna and run it into both my 811 from DISH and the VOOM box? :)

WLong said:
Could I split the signal from that antenna and run it into both my 811 from DISH and the VOOM box? :)

Yes, a Radio Shack 3.5 db splitter is what I am using for both dish and VOOM with no problems.

Well... this just gets better by the minute. Can't wait for Tuesday. :)

WLong said:
Well... this just gets better by the minute. Can't wait for Tuesday. :)

FWIW, I moved my OTA antenna from the exterior location that VOOM had initially installed it and put in my attic. I ended up getting a few more local channels this way but most likely because it made it much easier for me to tweak the rotation of the antenna to an optimum direction.

What if you live in an apartment and can't install an atenna on the roof? How ould that work?

atltechguy said:
What if you live in an apartment and can't install an atenna on the roof? How ould that work?

Depending the distance of your location to the transmitter in your area, you might want to try a silver senson inside antenna. It all depends on your distance.

VOOM ota and thanks to satelliteguys

my VOOM was installed friday morning, the installer wanted to know were i got all my information. the answer was satelliteguys. i am more of a reader then a poster but i want to say thanks to sean for his voom treads, your work has not gone unnoticed by me and i'm sure everone else. great info.

OTA: our local digital is not transmitted in the morning so there was no way for the installer to verify reception, needless to say i am now one of those voomers with no OTA. my 811 will pick up local digital abc, nbc with set top antenna cbs and fox i can only pull 30% signal. voom said they would try to get installer out monday and maybe install a bigger antenna, although i am not sure it will help since the 811 picks up with set top
this brings me to my first question, the CEA color code of the voom supplied antenna. my zone is red,blue. blue being cbs which the set top will not pick up. antenna web sugestion for my area is a Medium Directional Antenna with pre-amp not the omni that was supplied. could this be my problem even though the cbs,abc,nbc feeds are less then 7 miles away. (voom ota signal is 15 to 20 no matter how i adjust the antenna)

if i rewire the system and get rid of the duplexer how wil it hook up to the receiver.

i want to run my dish dvr along with voom but i must say i was supprised how much i missed HDNET on the 811 this weekend.

i like the fact that the voom ota guide actually shows what is on the station, something the 811 does not do.

thanks sean
the mapping is correct. i will wait to see if the installer comes out tommorrow and can get it fixed before i email you.
again how will the hookup go on the back of the receiver if i run a seperate cable for the antenna. i know there is a uhf antenna input on the receiver

jdanielurx said:
thanks sean
the mapping is correct. i will wait to see if the installer comes out tommorrow and can get it fixed before i email you.
again how will the hookup go on the back of the receiver if i run a seperate cable for the antenna. i know there is a uhf antenna input on the receiver

Do not use the UHF input. When you run the second line from your antenna, take out the displexer and the OTA module is right there (where the displexer is). Connect your OTA coax there.

See a picture of the OTA module without the displexer. The input to your right.

http://216.120.249.94/voom/inside/small/back2s.jpg

Is this the correct setup?

Attachments

• f979e6d1.jpe
    f979e6d1.jpe
    23.7 KB · Views: 784
Acerone said:
Is this the correct setup?

Yes.

jdanielurx,

there are two inputs. One for Antenna - the one all the way to the right where OTA module is. The other one is for Satellite reception.

sean
i removed the displexer and presto signal stregth tripled with my settop antenna. upon closer look i think there is a mapping problem with some of the stations
below is what i believe to be correct mapping. i am know receiving nbc. no cbs or fox and i believe abc is mapped wrong web link from voom also seems incorrect. what will be the procedure to get the mapping right??

Assignment
* red - uhf KVEW-DT 44 ABC KENNEWICK WA 155° 7.2 44
* red - uhf KTNW-DT 38.1 PBS Richland WA 153° 7.2 38
* red - uhf KNDU-DT 25.1 NBC RICHLAND WA 154° 7.2 26
* red - vhf KFFX-DT 8 FOX PENDLETON OR 04-04 103° 62.2 8
* blue - uhf KEPR-DT 18.1 CBS PASCO WA 177° 7.8 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)