AT 9 (29.5x25.5 )dish, what FTA LNB will fit?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HBS

Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Newbie Here! I want to try Real FTA sats. I have a Primestar 36", the arms isn't flat, it has a rounded bump on bottom. What FTA lnb can be used with it.

Also have a 29.5x25.5 Direct dish (AT9)--the top of the arm is flared and has the brackett with extra lnbs. What FTA brackett and/or lnb will retrol fit on this arm. The brackett holder is # 3040979.

I have tried setting up the primestar with orignal lnb, but no luck! I have read all forums I can find, but many are about conversion to dish, not true FTA use.

I am only interested in true FTA for both dishes. Anyone with experience on these for FTA. Thanks.

I can't help you with the AT9 dish but I would be surprised if their is a problem with the Primestar LNB, more likely you didn't have your dish aligned properly, or you had incorrect settings entered into your reciever. Post pics of your dish and LNB if possible. There are a LOT of threads on this forum describing how people have used Primestar dishes for FTA, some people have even modified them for motorized use.

What kind of receiver do you have, how did you have it hooked to the dish and what satellite(s) were you aiming for?

bigger dishes are better, but . . .

Bigger dishes are better, but this'll get you started.

Here's how one of our members handled that same problem:

Look Up shows pix of his DirecTV AT9 dish conversion for 97

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/156250-small-dish-fta.html

DefCon4 puts SuperDish LNB on DirecTV Slim Line:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...nvert-superdish-true-fta-use.html#post1534007
.... though, if you have a SuperDish, you can use it as-is with the bandstacked LNB.

Just a side note here that the link that Anole posted above about my AT9 setup actually shows a dish that I originally thought was an AT9 but isn't. It is very close (same basic size but a little more rounded than an AT9). However, I've since set up a couple of actual AT9's using the same method shown in the link. I now use about a 1 foot length of DIN rail with long slots to accommodate a main lnb plus the side lnb's on those nice Ebay lnb brackets. Using the brackets as shown in the link it is pretty easy (with some patience) to aim the side lnb's after the main one is fixed. For example, I have one AT9 aimed at 123 with a side lnb for 129 with generally good reception. At my location, I've found that signal remains good with clouds or even fairly heavy snow, but rain will cause your signal to drop. If you can get those dishes for free, it is a good way to get started for sure. When my signal goes bad due to rain, there are usually a couple of strong transponders that come through, or I can always watch the strong NASA tv signal on 119. Here in Colorado, I can get good reception with the AT9 dishes 95% of the time. I assume a Slimline dish would give roughly similar performance but I haven't had a chance to set one up yet.

Look Up has used the AT9 successfully with 2 LNBs...I wonder if 3 would be possible?

I have one of these dishes and was going to put 2 LNBs on it for 101 and 97, but I have since been toying with the idea of using it for 119, 123, and 129.

How well would this work?

I would gamble on it:

119° circular? 129° whitesprings? No problem. Both should be easy shots.

123° down the middle? I'd test that first, but sounds encouraging. - :up

119° circular? 129° whitesprings? No problem. Both should be easy shots.

123° down the middle? I'd test that first, but sounds encouraging. - :up

exactly. i just wasn't sure if the AT9 dish is big enough.

119 - old Dish Network LNB
123 (center LNB) - DMX521 from WSI
129 - DMX521

or maybe a DMX522 instead of DMX521. What is the advantage of having separate outputs like on the DMX522 vs. a single combined output like the DMX521?

trick question?

- driving two receivers
- driving a 2x4 switch so you can feed more receivers
- driving two LNBs into a 4x8 multiswitch...

The 522 is a dual output where both ports can get H & V at the same time
(unlike the Primestar LNB that is one output vertical and one output horizontal)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)