AT&T Just Donated $500,000 to Locast

Not a streamer...which is where the vast vast vast majority would use locast

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
I stream Locast with either my Android phone or my laptop Chrome browser when I'm not physically in a Locast DMA. Both devices can cast to my Firestick. If I am in a Locast DMA of course, I use either the Firestick or Hopper app.

Streamers are running apps so if it needs Javascript it will built support for it into the app.
Of course we don't know what server side routines the webpage JavaScript is calling, but it's quite possible the Android and other apps could be calling the same or other routines without the need for JavaScript.

Of course we don't know what server side routines the webpage JavaScript is calling, but it's quite possible the Android and other apps could be calling the same or other routines without the need for JavaScript.

Yes, they may be able to bypass them. But that means that Directv/Dish could do the same thing to access Locast via their firmware instead of as a separate app, so the channel could appear in the guide as 10-1 etc. like AM21/LCC channels do and be recordable.

There would be no reason for Locast to object or care about such a thing - they aren't trying to protect their "content" because it isn't their content. They want it distributed as widely as possible. Pretty sure if AT&T wrote in the memo of their $500K check "please send us API information for how your apps access Locast streams" they'd get everything they need without having to reverse engineer. But if Locast is too thinly staffed to have developed a real API, reverse engineering the app by sniffing the network traffic would work. Because again Locast isn't trying to protect anything so there would be zero reason for them to be using encryption to protect how the app talks to the Locast servers.

Yes, they may be able to bypass them. But that means that Directv/Dish could do the same thing to access Locast via their firmware instead of as a separate app, so the channel could appear in the guide as 10-1 etc. like AM21/LCC channels do and be recordable.

There would be no reason for Locast to object or care about such a thing - they aren't trying to protect their "content" because it isn't their content. They want it distributed as widely as possible. Pretty sure if AT&T wrote in the memo of their $500K check "please send us API information for how your apps access Locast streams" they'd get everything they need without having to reverse engineer. But if Locast is too thinly staffed to have developed a real API, reverse engineering the app by sniffing the network traffic would work. Because again Locast isn't trying to protect anything so there would be zero reason for them to be using encryption to protect how the app talks to the Locast servers.
I doubt that Locast would care at all as long as their donation ads are included. I'm not sure how the login would be handled with the service embedded though. But I suspect not doing it yet is more a case of either a potential legal issue we're not aware of or as I've said before, a lack of Locast market penetration at this point.

If they embed the service they will violate a copyright license
I doubt that Locast would care at all as long as their donation ads are included. I'm not sure how the login would be handled with the service embedded though. But I suspect not doing it yet is more a case of either a potential legal issue we're not aware of or as I've said before, a lack of Locast market penetration at this point.

That's certainly possible, although I don't know who's copyrght(s) would be violated. Are they violating any copyrights by embedding the OTA services? And why would that be different than embedding the same OTA services fed from Locast?

Based on what? I'm not talking about "embedding the app" I'm talking about just embedding the functionality - i.e. figure out the protocol and duplicate it. Though they could embed the app if Locast licensed it with a BSD or similar license.

I'm sure they'd be fine with AT&T not having any donation ads if they donated every year to keep Locast going.

AT&T could create a dummy account for the user automatically based on their Directv account number, they would want to make it completely transparent for the user if it was integrated into the guide. AT&T could also help Locast geoblock it by providing Locast the service address zip code, so they can block both by service address zip and originating IP address, so VPNs couldn't get around the restrictions for Directv customers.

The tv stations for starters
That's certainly possible, although I don't know who's copyrght(s) would be violated. Are they violating any copyrights by embedding the OTA services? And why would that be different than embedding the same OTA services fed from Locast?

I'm sure they'd be fine with AT&T not having any donation ads if they donated every year to keep Locast going.

AT&T could create a dummy account for the user automatically based on their Directv account number, they would want to make it completely transparent for the user if it was integrated into the guide. AT&T could also help Locast geoblock it by providing Locast the service address zip code, so they can block both by service address zip and originating IP address, so VPNs couldn't get around the restrictions for Directv customers.
I'm sure there are several ways it could be done, but I still don't see it happening without a lot more market penetration.

Geofencing by service address would actually make it a lot easier for mobile RV'ers like us to use Locast, at least with Dish. I understand AT&T/DTV has made service address changes more difficult than in the past. Originating IP address is not always that useful for geofencing. Right now I'm in NY's Southern Tier not far from the PA border, but using my Verizon hotspot, Locast thinks I'm in the Boston DMA. My AT&T hotspot puts me near Rochester, NY where Locast has no service, and I'm actually in the Utica, NY DMA.

The tv stations for starters

As I said, how would embedding Locast's locals be any different than embedding the direct OTA locals? If Locast is a legal translator, then it would be no different than you or I receiving the locals from any other translator or directly OTA. AT&T would not be retransmitting the locals, Locast would be.

No...no...no....cable and satellite cant do that
As I said, how would embedding Locast's locals be any different than embedding the direct OTA locals? If Locast is a legal translator, then it would be no different than you or I receiving the locals from any other translator or directly OTA. AT&T would not be retransmitting the locals, Locast would be.

No...no...no....cable and satellite cant do that

What are you talking about? Dish has the local OTA channels and some of the sub-channels embedded in the EPG where they can be recorded at will. DTV works the same way I believe (Is the AM21 OTA adapter still current?). My roof top a OTA antenna picks the locals up and my Hopper equipped with an OTA adapter sends them to my TV or records them. If the locals happen to be coming from a translator, then that's where I receive them from.

Thats not programming
What are you talking about? Dish has the local OTA channels and some of the sub-channels embedded in the EPG where they can be recorded at will. DTV works the same way I believe (Is the AM21 OTA adapter still current?). My roof top a OTA antenna picks the locals up and my Hopper equipped with an OTA adapter sends them to my TV or records them. If the locals happen to be coming from a translator, then that's where I receive them from.

Thats not programming

Are you saying there's no programming involved in integrating the OTA adapter's tuners or scanning the locals into the system and adding them to the EPG? Is it done with magic? I don't see where integrating Locast's API would be any different legally. It's still just adding code to receive the locals from a translator.

I am saying if Dish or anybody else reverse engineered locast apps and presented the streams as part of a product of dish network they would face a multbillion lawsuit for copyright infringement
Are you saying there's no programming involved in integrating the OTA adapter's tuners or scanning the locals into the system and adding them to the EPG? Is it done with magic? I don't see where integrating Locast's API would be any different legally. It's still just adding code to receive the locals from a translator.

I am saying if Dish or anybody else reverse engineered locast apps and presented the streams as part of a product of dish network they would face a multbillion lawsuit for copyright infringement

I see no reason why they would need to reverse engineer Locast's app. I suspect Locast would happily share their API in exchange for the increased exposure. Even if they did reverse engineer the apps, the only one that could complain would be Locast.

Again...if they are using the ap to avoid paying copyright fees to local stations there would be a issue....its a fine line with dish
I see no reason why they would need to reverse engineer Locast's app. I suspect Locast would happily share their API in exchange for the increased exposure. Even if they did reverse engineer the apps, the only one that could complain would be Locast.

Again...if they are using the ap to avoid paying copyright fees to local stations there would be a issue....its a fine line with dish

Again... How is it different than programming in the OTA locals that they're also not paying for? The sat and cable folks pay retransmission fees under STELAR, not copyright fees, to retransmit the programming via their sat or wired services. With direct OTA or Locast OTA, the sat folks are not retransmitting anything, just providing a means of directly receiving the OTA programming the same as TV sets and other streaming devices do. There's no copyright violation in that any more than there is for you to receive programming from a rooftop antenna direct to your TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)