Attention: (Unofficial) There might not be enough equipment for installation?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
As I am trying to get information on this, I am seeing people posting that installers have not received stbs and that there might not be enough. Don't panic, we are trying to get as much information.

Thanks.

It may be true...

I just talked to my installer, who was scheduled for 5/26. They have been told by the warehouse that all installs will have to be pushed back 3 days. I'm baffled, as it seems they never planned on having more than 10,000 subscribers? It would seem their original order of equipment would have been more than that.

It's true, my installer still hasn't received my kit. I called VOOM and was told by him that the warehouse has a shortage but might get some more this weekend.

I'm still waiting for a replacement box (only since Tuesday, tho). Installs Inc. has told the installer that they are "scarce".

-John

Considering that many of us have had 2 and some 3 receivers, they probably burned through their original order of 10,000 boxes with fewer than 5,000 subscribers.

JimP said:
they probably burned through their original order of 10,000 boxes with fewer than 5,000 subscribers.

I believe someone posted an article here that mentioned V* actually ordered 40,000 STB initially. If they are out inventory this can be percieved as good and bad. Good that they've run out due to subscriber growth. Bad that they have installs delayed 'cause they can't get resupplied quick enough.

I think they probably "forecasted" X number of boxes. In today's world, you don't take on that much inventory until you need it, same way with your supplier. Inventory sitting on shelves, waiting to get used, is a major NO-NO for any business.
Look at Dell's model. They have raw material entering one end of their production facility, and that same material is built, packed, and loaded on a truck as finished product in about 6hrs.

There may have been a spike in demand that wasn't properly forecasted, but I'm sure they'll catch up and be on track quickly.

If they DID experience a bigger spike than they anticipated, I'd say that's a GOOD thing :)

Lob

Ahh, soooo!

That may also explain the recent increase announced for the VOom package as well as the contractural requirements after May 31st. Perhaps they new the orders wer coming quicker than the supply lines could maintain?

where i work it is called JIT for short."JUST IN TIME".it can suck at times , and things do and will get behind, but i think it is easier for the company to know where they are at.for example our sheer operator is finishing up on his last sheet of steel on a job, and we are getting a truck in about the same time.where i work i have to wait on the part to be sheared,pressed,formed,lasered,or whatever they have to do to it,and then sometimes , one part is shipped between weld,machine shop and press shops 2 or 3 times,and then the part has to be either powder coated, or just washed before i can get my part.so there is alt that has to happen right before i can get the part to my station JUST IN TIME.so when i have all my parts , and the steel truck,press shop,weld shop, machine shop,paint and parts washer line did all of there jobs on time i can take my parts and install them onto the machine , and the machine can be completed and shipped out the door on time to the customer.it is one heck of a deal, and when we start model numbers we usually have a semi waiting for them to come off the line and fill up the truck.

Lobstah said:
I think they probably "forecasted" X number of boxes. In today's world, you don't take on that much inventory until you need it, same way with your supplier. Inventory sitting on shelves, waiting to get used, is a major NO-NO for any business.
Look at Dell's model. They have raw material entering one end of their production facility, and that same material is built, packed, and loaded on a truck as finished product in about 6hrs.

There may have been a spike in demand that wasn't properly forecasted, but I'm sure they'll catch up and be on track quickly.

If they DID experience a bigger spike than they anticipated, I'd say that's a GOOD thing :)

Lob

It also takes Dell a month to get you your computer. The trick is to properly predict the amount you need, so as the come in, they immediately go out. If Voom told someone they'd get installed in a mont, most people would hang up and call E* or D*.

By the advise of others in this forum I called today to confirm my installer had my STB. I called Installs, Inc. and the phone rep put me on hold, called the installer and confirmed they have an STB for my 5/26 install.

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he actually called their contractor. :)

My installer just contacted me by phone at 6:45pm the day before the scheduled installation (May 25) stating that due to the overwhelming response for equipment that they would have to delay me by a couple of days. So I'm rescheduled for Thursday the 27th. We shall see what happens then. I live in Sacramento and Crave Electronics is the installer.

And lets not forget

Remember the early days, when STB software problems were solved with "I want a new box!", instead of software upgrades. I'm sure there was a lot of churn in units as a result of that.

My install has been pushed back at least a week, maybe more due to the equipment situation. I called Voom for an update, lady put me on hold, called some people, didn't get a definite answer, but for my troubles (which there really were none) she offered a free month's service. I didn't even express dissapointment, just curious as to when it would be heading my way.

There you go!

Lucky I guess

Moved up a scheduled install from next week to this Friday. Called yesterday to see if I could get an extra stb. CSR took a few minutes to contact the installer (Crave) then told me they'd overnight the stb. Far as I know, still on for Friday. I can hardly wait. Currently with Bright House with an increasing selection of HD but still limited. INHD, HDnet and movies, TNTHD, Discovery and two out of four locals. Both locals not on are the football channels, CBS and Fox. :no

Trying voom for the summer.

I just subscribe on-line on Monday of this week. The next day the installer called and wanted to come out that day. He said he had equipment. I wasn't scheduled for almost another 2 weeks.

Must depend on how busy your area is and whether your installer had a cancellation with surplus equipment. I was told there are about a hundred ahead of me, locally. That's not good! I was told to call weekly for status, both the installer and VOOM.

Don Landis said:
Must depend on how busy your area is and whether your installer had a cancellation with surplus equipment. I was told there are about a hundred ahead of me, locally. That's not good! I was told to call weekly for status, both the installer and VOOM.

Where are you? Agreed not great for you, but great for everyone else. Keep those new subs a rollin' in. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)