Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

high def mon said:
High all
Great thread! Glad to now be apart of it. Can't believe I read every post.
My 622 Ver. D s/w 359, has been up and running sense June 22, (about 5 hours a
day)

H-138
L-75
A-116

Might try an external fan, (leased) but it's got to be very quiet, got this set up in my bedroom.
BTW 140-F is about the pain threshold for most of us.
Harbor Freight tools has laser therms. on sale til 7-24 for $30 to $40.

Since this post, I have added a fan to the right side of the 622 and 21 days has passed, my temps are now 134 high 93 low 111 average.

Had to turn on the swamp box, which brought the ambient room temps from 85 to 68f.
I had 2 issues with the 622 and heat could be causing both, With the added fan, new LNB, and the last software update (L360), my unit is running fine!

Is there any truth to the rumor that the latter ser. E,F,G, run cooler?

Well I have mine down to 100 average finally. Started tracking on July 5th, temps were 136H, 109L, 122A. I now have a laptop cooler (the one linked earlier in this thread), a 92mm fan blowing in the right, and a 92mm fan sucking out the left. As of this morning, my readings are 122H, 89L, 100A, and my average has been dropping 2 degrees every day for the past 5 days. Hopefully that will keep going down!

August 7 update: Average down to 96, and low down to 84. 26 degree drop in the average (and its still going) is very nice, feel a lot better about the temps now! :)

Last edited:
bhelms said:
Hey, P. Smith - Sorry I missed your question last week - I'll check tonight. IIRC, it's about 1/4 inch but I'll measure to be sure.

Yeah - that label has also stopped me from some more aggressive experimentation...
I found in my junk box two thin fans - 7/16"; I recal it's came from some PC where are they cooled HDDs.

Attachments

• thin_fan.JPG
    thin_fan.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 151
Kirby Baker said:
Well I have mine down to 100 average finally. Started tracking on July 5th, temps were 136H, 109L, 122A. I now have a laptop cooler (the one linked earlier in this thread), a 92mm fan blowing in the right, and a 92mm fan sucking out the left. As of this morning, my readings are 122H, 89L, 100A, and my average has been dropping 2 degrees every day for the past 5 days. Hopefully that will keep going down!

August 7 update: Average down to 96, and low down to 84. 26 degree drop in the average (and its still going) is very nice, feel a lot better about the temps now! :)

Did you do some kind of 'reset' of the temp history so as to get a new start on the H, L, and A readings after you started using your fans? I have started using a fan but have have seen no reduction in my temps: 132H, 111L, 122A.

Nope, there is no reset that i know of. The high seemed to reset from 136 to 122 around the day that 3.60 software came down, not sure if it was coincidence or not. I dont think its going to drop much more, average was going down 2 per day, now it goes 2 every other day. If it goes below 90 that would be cool! (pun intended)

Boy, they don't seem to care about this thing staying cool much do they? Average on mine is 127°, high 137°.

That's way high for a hard drive. I try to keep the hard drives in my computer not much over 100° F. Has anyone burned up a hard drive yet?

Posters have said that you can drop in any hard drive and the ViP622 will load the operating system from satellite. Has anyone tried this yet? I don't want to void my warranty just yet, but I would like a little more HD record time. Pepper says on this forum that the 622 uses a SATA drive. Does anyone know if it uses SATA I or SATA II or will either work?

A 500 Gb SATA drive can be had for around $200, twice the capacity of the 250 Gb drive in there now. I expect hard drive capacity will increase significantly and price per Gb drop now that manufacturers are using the new perpendicular encoding technology. I got a 320 Gb Seagate last month from Newegg.com for $99 including the shipping.

DishTechGuy from another forum says that E* will be up to 50 HD channels by the end of the year.

dxjnorto said:
Boy, they don't seem to care about this thing staying cool much do they? Average on mine is 127°, high 137°.

That's way high for a hard drive. I try to keep the hard drives in my computer not much over 100° F. Has anyone burned up a hard drive yet?

Posters have said that you can drop in any hard drive and the ViP622 will load the operating system from satellite. Has anyone tried this yet? I don't want to void my warranty just yet, but I would like a little more HD record time. Pepper says on this forum that the 622 uses a SATA drive. Does anyone know if it uses SATA I or SATA II or will either work?

A 500 Gb SATA drive can be had for around $200, twice the capacity of the 250 Gb drive in there now. I expect hard drive capacity will increase significantly and price per Gb drop now that manufacturers are using the new perpendicular encoding technology. I got a 320 Gb Seagate last month from Newegg.com for $99 including the shipping.

DishTechGuy from another forum says that E* will be up to 50 HD channels by the end of the year.

I had a pair of WD Raptor's fry from heat. Not a pretty site. The 622 drive is most definitely a SATA drive, not sure if its 1 or 2. And its 320GB not 250GB from what I understand. And 500's can now be had for below $180 without rebates :)

Just curious on how you could add a PC fan to the unit to where it would only work when the unit was on. I have seen HD fans that actually attached on top of the HD and use one of the power connectors as a power source. Does the 622 have a usuable power cord or what? I don't want to get into mine to see and lose the warranty. Why doesn't Dish have this as an option and attach a fan to the unit as lot of people do for their PCs?

shodobe said:
Just curious on how you could add a PC fan to the unit to where it would only work when the unit was on. I have seen HD fans that actually attached on top of the HD and use one of the power connectors as a power source. Does the 622 have a usuable power cord or what? I don't want to get into mine to see and lose the warranty. Why doesn't Dish have this as an option and attach a fan to the unit as lot of people do for their PCs?
The unit is always on as far as I know, when you turn it "off" it just cuts the video/audio off.

In my case I have the laptop cooler running off the USB port as its meant to, and I have a switchable-voltage ac adapter from Rat Shack, running at 9V, with 2 92MM case fans, they just sit right next to the sides of the 622, one on the right blows in, the one on the left sucks out.

keenan is correct, the 622 is always on unless you pull the plug.

As others have noted before, the internal fan in the 622 rarely runs. I've considered opening up the case and putting in a 40mm panaflo fan inline with the original to run all the time, or simply replace the original, or wire the original to always run, but in the last 2 cases, I am worried what will happen when a trigger from the 622 happens to run/test the stock fan.

I will probably just end up never opening it up and just selling the 622 as I dont really need it.

keenan said:
The unit is always on as far as I know, when you turn it "off" it just cuts the video/audio off.
keenan is correct - The 622 is always "on" unless you pull the plug. That said, it's always generating heat, almost the full amount! So it probably pays to have your cooling fan running 24/7. The USB port is always powered to help you with that...

any news ?

bhelms said:
Hey, P. Smith - Sorry I missed your question last week - I'll check tonight. IIRC, it's about 1/4 inch but I'll measure to be sure.

Yeah - that label has also stopped me from some more aggressive experimentation...
Hey bhelms, did you manage your time for check that clerance ? Will those 7/16" fans fits ?

Sorry, P. Smith - I have not! My bad...! I see that open unit every day with the IR and TC temp measuring devices sitting on top of the fans waiting for me to continue my experiments and I curse myself for bad follow-through! Your request is not forgotten - I will at least check the clearance this weekend and report back on Monday (wrote myself a reminder note). Again - you want to know the clearance between the top of the HDD mount and the inside of the cover, is that correct? I think it's less than 7/16" (maybe 1/4"?) but I will confirm.

Again - sorry for the delay...

P. Smith - I measured the clearance this weekend. From the plane that is the top of the HDD/fan mounting bracket (most of its surface area) to the plane that would be the underside of the cover there is about 0.275" clearance, maybe a bit more. Of course this is approximate and it does vary over the area in question (especially at the stiffening "bumps" in the bracket between the HDD and fan) due to irregularities in the flatness of the bracket.

I've always been a cause and effect type of guy, so when my (ser. D) 622 kept giving me a check switch (004) screen, I put a clip on fan blowing right to left. When my average temp. dropped below 105 F my problem disappeared and has not come back!!! My next attempt is to try to bring the problem back by heating up the separate enclosure (my clothes closet). My average temp. is at 100 now so this may take some time.

Last edited:
Temp of 622

WOW...seems like my 622 is REALLY hot to the touch.

Here are the counters:

High: 138 degrees
Low: 80 degrees
Ave: 127 degrees

What is the benchmark?

Is it hurting anything it being so hot...I mean it feels so hot I can hardly put my hand on it.

Any thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)