Back to square 1

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gpat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Ive used a BUD for over 25 years.Started with a Channel Master 8 ft rotary dial with LNAs and a down converter.Everything was FTA.
Upgraded as time went by to keep up with the encoding/scrambling.
I parked the newest dish,a 10 ft channel master and GI/Motorola 920 when it reached the 1080 count and I could no longer add sats or download a map.
Now I fired it up again,repaired the wires cut by a weed eater,and got it to move again.
I cant get anything, so guess I need to start over again.
One puzzling thing is I checked the hits count and its at 0 and channels at 4844.
Ive been dreading a master reset and not sure if it will help anyway.
I cant get a DC lock so perhaps dish has moved with all the hurricanes weve had.
Where should I start?

current equipment
920(battery replaced by factory in 2007)
co rotorII Chaparral 17* LNB C band,unknown Ku LNB(may soon change that to a Bullseye dual C band, Ku band corotor)

CS6100
miles of cables,splitters,amps,antennas,converter boxes for digital conversion.

Whatever you do, I would avoid a MR on the 920. Does the dish move now and recognize the stored positions? Were any other cables damaged?

A trip counter reading "0" after a power off is normal but also means it hasn't registered any new ones. It won't without a DCII lock on X4-105W.

Can you verify reception of Nasa with another FTA receiver to check satellite signal?

I think I have a sat coordinate problem
dish may have moved without the counter ticking.
Im going to reaim at closest true south one(W9)

I think I have a sat coordinate problem
dish may have moved without the counter ticking.
Im going to reaim at closest true south one(W9)

Not sure you will find a DC2 TP to lock on 83w (W9)? I just checked on a well maintained list and didn't see anything DC2 on that satellite?

Not sure you will find a DC2 TP to lock on 83w (W9)? I just checked on a well maintained list and didn't see anything DC2 on that satellite?
I tried it with my CS6100 and only got about 7 on the meter so I still have some work to do.
I had the rotation pinned with an 1/8 drill bit for lineup.The actuator had moved without the counter wire hooked up so I re aimed that.now just need to find something that can verify aiming.
I may have to pull out my old inline LMB meter. Im only seeing a strength of 56 on G5.

I tried it with my CS6100 and only got about 7 on the meter so I still have some work to do.
I had the rotation pinned with an 1/8 drill bit for lineup.The actuator had moved without the counter wire hooked up so I re aimed that.now just need to find something that can verify aiming.
I may have to pull out my old inline LMB meter. Im only seeing a strength of 56 on G5.

Oh, OK. My bad. I was under the impression that you were using an older Cband DC2 receiver.

Any chance your dish may have twisted on the pole or settling in soft ground from the storms? I would check for power at the feed connector, should be at least 18V. Does the polarotor move? With both ends of the coax disconnected you could test for opens or shorts in the run with a multimeter. Test continuity by shorting one end and testing at the opposite connector.

Another idea would be to try for the analog signal on G16-99W TP16-V. With analog when moving the dish you can normally see a signal briefly on screen even if the polarity is opposite while moving past it. It might get you roughly in the ballpark. The wide signal makes it easier to find first. I have some 20+ year old LNBs that still work for analog but don't get a whiff of digital in case your LNB has frequency drifted or been tweaked out of alignment in the storms. Insects like to nest inside also.

I wouldn't adjust anything unless there's visual evidence of something that has changed or indications of slight push-pull or lift-down of the dish itself improves a signal found indicating alignment issues.

Ive been trying to find ch 16 analog and may have another problem.
when I switch to channel 16 I got a signal strength of 88 but my tv screen
says unusable signal(not this is not a function of the 920 but of my analog RCA projection TV)
Im using the video S cable

I just now switched to the coax input and Shepard's chapel is on!

now I need to figure out why my S video cable out of the 920 isnt working.

note,all of my displays for sat map,dish setting etc have been showing up just fine
when using the S video cable only

I'm trying to remember but something sticks in my mind that 920 only passes S-Video on DCII channels.

My Samsung TV cuts the snowy analog signal after a few seconds and cuts the video to a screen that states "Check Signal Cable". But sometimes you need that snowy picture.

you may have something there...
I seem to remember that the 922 did it on both and 920 was digital only on the S video.
That would explain why it did that.

I'm trying to remember but something sticks in my mind that 920 only passes S-Video on DCII channels.

My Samsung TV cuts the snowy analog signal after a few seconds and cuts the video to a screen that states "Check Signal Cable". But sometimes you need that snowy picture.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts