bad lnbf ??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

olegray

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
w. arkansas
I picked up this 7 1/2 ' mesh dish about the first of the month, and in setting it up, I am not getting a signal level. It has a Calif Amp lnbf dual polarity voltage switching C-Band, and there is a red lcd on the lnbf. I tried switching from 13 volts to 18 volts but it doesn't lite. I've checked my alignment, and it looks good. Pole is plum with level and inclinometer. I'm at Lat: 35.45, Long: 94.32, set at true south sat 95.0W pointed at about 179, apex elev at about 49, inclination set at 36, and declination reads 41. Checked f/D. and thats good. All I can figure is a bad lnbf.???

I have had those CalAmp with the led on them, cool at night to see that red eye looking at you.
Using one now on my 10' dish. The one before it, gave up the ghost, a few years back. Tv went out , and I walked out to check it, at night>the red light had turned off. It was DRT, as we used to say. Dead Right There.

no signal strength. Just a little noise. I can disconnect the rg6 from the lnbf, and get the same reading. acts like it is dead. I would just suppose that the LCD on the lnbf would lite up at some point, either changing polarity or receiving a signal. However, it never does . I don't know any history on the dish. It came from a house that had burned,but the dish was about 120' from the house. When I took it down, I noticed the old analog receiver out by a storage building, and it had not burned. Rusty from sitting outside tho, so there may have been an issue way back whenever. I'm probably in for a new c-band lnbf.

I have a 31480 its a good lnbf its 25K

first make sure your wiring is good ( you can use a short coax to test it )
also make sure your dvb receiver lnb power is set to ON and LO is set to 5150

also if you remove the lnbf from the scaler make note of the fd scale

if the lnbf test out the second time to be dead a good replacement c-band only is the
Geosatpro C1 ( this lnbf will slide right into the cal amp scaler)

next replacement is the bsc431 this lnbf is slightly smaller than the cal amp and will have to be shimmed to fit into the cal amp scaler ( or use the cheaper scaler for the bsc421)

oh i forgot to mention the cal amp lnbf preformed close to the 2 listed above
so just because its older and has a higher degree noise level doesn't mean its not a good one :)

and let me know if your close enough i could bring all three over and let you try them out ;)

gabshere: I removed the lnbf today, taking note of the fd scale. Taking the back off of the lnbf, I soon recconized my problem. It had taken a good hit at sometime past, one of the small components which is probably a resistor or diode blew completly off the PCB and about halfway melted another. So, I'll be getting a new lnbf. The cable is good, as I'm just setting this dish up. Picked it up on January 2nd, 7 1/2 foot Odoom. I live way to far from you, I'm at Van Buren, near Fort Smith, but I thank you for your offer. Sadoun has a GeoSat Pro, but it's C-Ku, and I only plan on using C-band. If I use the BSC 421, could I use foil tape around the barrel to shim it up?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)