Bad People Selling Clones!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Mine has 0200, bought it from the freon site, seems to work just fine on the FW that came with it. So who cares. By now the cloners are aware of the so called "Good List" and can clone the good numbers into their boxes.

I know the prices based on a 40 ft container ....... ;)

Sorry, am more than willing to share some insider information, but pricing is based on so many factors and is confidential with the supplier.

I can assure you that it is well above $20. :D

Factor in the MPEG license, Dolby, FCC cert, UL or ETL certs...... it adds up fast!

Last edited:
Remember, the clone ID is only for determining if the box is manufactured and authorized by Opensat. This is only important if you are using the official firmware released by Opensat.

The Opensat firmware now incorporates a clone kill to disable non-authorized STBs from using their firmware. This is Intellectual Property Protection 101.

If you are using firmware developed by a 3rd party, you should have no concern as long as you know what you have and what you are loading.

Clone kill in the firmware from Opensat is a raw deal!Most buyers who buy a receiver are not going to no that they are getting a clone and by the time they find out money back is not going to happen.Its hurting the Innocent buyers alot more than the clone makers.

I"m still running the original firmware because the S9 works perfectly.

you cant be running the original. I had one of the original S9's (Sathawk version) and the software was a big steaming pile of monkey crap...hel the 1st 5 or 6 versions were that

All I remember was the 1st few software versions had the switch/motor issue, wouldnt play AC-3 through the TV or RCA cables (you needed a converter) and the blind scan missed most everything under 6000 symbol rate

I got my s10 from this guy "Member id fullmaxy60806080" on eBay. It as a legit id if this list of numbers is correct(mine is 085B). It also has taken two updates just fine.
I was worried when I first seen this thread.

Remember, the clone ID is only for determining if the box is manufactured and authorized by Opensat. This is only important if you are using the official firmware released by Opensat.

The Opensat firmware now incorporates a clone kill to disable non-authorized STBs from using their firmware. This is Intellectual Property Protection 101.

If you are using firmware developed by a 3rd party, you should have no concern as long as you know what you have and what you are loading.

Just who is Opensat? We have (are now) using Skybox FW!

Whoever it is needs to stop screwing it up! The place I got mine still doesn't have the newer (Skybox) FW posted. All dealers should link to the real FW.

All I remember was the 1st few software versions had the switch/motor issue, wouldnt play AC-3 through the TV or RCA cables (you needed a converter) and the blind scan missed most everything under 6000 symbol rate

Yeah! we waited awhile, but when Sadoun published the motor control/Diseqc fix, then it became a winner. :) I think you sold your Sathawk before then. The software STILL doesn't deliver all it's features, but the box is a bargain. :)

Mine is 0107. It works fine. I'm using a HDMI output to a 1080 HD TV. I changed software once way back when I got it to update the USA satellites.

same here with version hds2-11-03-21:01a2m and no green tint.
i have not upgraded because from that as i was not sure if it would brick my unit.
i have not seen any threads of clones that where bricked? as of yet.

you cant be running the original. I had one of the original S9's (Sathawk version) and the software was a big steaming pile of monkey crap...hel the 1st 5 or 6 versions were that

Sorry for not making myself clear. I meant I'm still running the version installed when I got the receiver (HDS2-10-11-08:1034CMT).It has worked perfectly and I saw no reason to change it.

This may have been said, and perhaps I am missing something, but clone killing open source software as I assumed is in the Openbox just seems against the whole spirit of the open source movement.

This may have been said, and perhaps I am missing something, but clone killing open source software as I assumed is in the Openbox just seems against the whole spirit of the open source movement.

ALI code is not open source. Development on the firmware under the ALI license is intellectual property that can be controlled by license holder. In this case, limiting the use of the firmware to be used only in receivers sold by and benefiting the developer of the experience.

when did opensat add the clone kill code?

edit: so is a sathawk an openbox or what cuz i just checkt mine and its 9cf4. appears to be a genuine openbox from the ccids listed.

crackt out,.

Last edited:
I understand that Openbox implemented the clone deterrent in Q1 of this year.

Before the OpenSat S9 existed, the base hardware and ALI 3602 had been in other European receivers for almost two years. The Skybox S9 and the Solemend PVR 900 are examples of almost identical platforms. I doubt if the "original" CCID chipsets were ever planned to be supported or referenced by OpenSat firmware. They most likely had to review the STB builds and determine what CCIDs were purchased for their builds and then include all of these ids in their Firmware so not to disable their own STBs. I would guess that from this point forward they will have the CCIDs proprietary burned only for their approved production runs. Proprietary code recognition is something that GEOSATpro has always done to protect our STBs from 3rd party firmware. Without this type of ID recognition, the end user could accidentally disable their receiver by loading incompatible firmware.

Your chipset was probably from a generic ALI chipset run that both the Sathawk manufacturer and the Openbox manufacturer had sourced for their STB builds.

Someone touched lightly on the "power off/on" issue. Is the symptom of powering off "not" powering down the video and sound (but front panel goes out) and not able to turn it back on without reboot a clone issue or a software issue? (Openbox 10)

Someone touched lightly on the "power off/on" issue. Is the symptom of powering off "not" powering down the video and sound (but front panel goes out) and not able to turn it back on without reboot a clone issue or a software issue? (Openbox 10)

I don't know. I"m leaning towards clone issue (because I assume legit boxes do not have that problem). I don't want to upgrade my firmware (in case of software bug in the May 2011 release that my box came with) due to worries about making my receiver useless. AFAIK from a thread on some forum that I found on google, the June 21, 2011 firmware *appears* to be the first one with receiver bricking code in it to kill clones. I think I also saw someone post a screengrab of their bricked receiver and I seem to recall it was a blue screen with "This is a clone!" text repeated several times, so it appears clone killing after a certain date of firmware is in effect unless someone just decided to photoshop something up.

OK so I went looking this morning to see what I could find out about the clone issue and my CCID of 0200 and here is something I found.

I believe that means you have older FW that does not report the codes.

Mine listed as 0201 and turned out to be 9D1A after upgrading to newer FW.

So I guess that my CCID of 0200 "may" not be a clone after all since that guy had one with 0201 and it changed after a firmware upgrade.

I think that the Skybox firmware is safe as far as the "brick" issue is concerned and I plan to upgrade mine to the latest version to fix the green tint and blind scan issues as soon as I find a backup copy of the version I'm running now. If it turns to stone I'll let you know.

Last edited:
OK so I went looking this morning to see what I could find out about the clone issue and my CCID of 0200 and here is something I found.

So I guess that my CCID of 0200 "may" not be a clone after all since that guy had one with 0201 and it changed after a firmware upgrade.

I think that the Skybox firmware is safe as far as the "brick" issue is concerned and I plan to upgrade mine to the latest version to fix the green tint and blind scan issues as soon as I find a backup copy of the version I'm running now. If it turns to stone I'll let you know.

You can simply backup your current configuration to a usb stick. Don't need to find a copy, it's in your receiver . :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.