Bad People Selling Clones!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
My Openbox S9 showed up today. Interesting unit. Had to "play" with it for a short time to see if it could find anything. It did OK. Then I cleaned it all up and put it back in the box and Emailed the seller I needed a total refund 'cuz he sold me a &%$##@#%$ CLONE!:mad:
People like that should be in jail.
Has anyone done business with or purchased one from shop4fta? I was thinking of getting one from them if it is a known "safe" place to buy from.
Another question is what goes in that large slot in the front of the unit?(below the card slot)

RT.

So how can you tell it is a clone.I'd like to know.
I've seen shop4fta all over ebay.I imagine if the feedback is good,so is thier merchandise.
So,are you gonna tell us where you got the clone so nobody else gets ripped?
I read in here that most are clones.Maybe that's why they are so cheap.
I've got a s9 myself

I've seen shop4fta all over ebay.I imagine if the feedback is good,so is thier merchandise.
I've got a s9 myself

Goto Menu -> tools-> information now press 777777 on remote. Some firmware requires 8888. If the CCID is one of the following 00D0, 00EA, 085B, 0D0C, 98A1, 98f2, 9CF4, 9D1A you have a good receiver. Anything else and an update may kill the unit.
My new unit was 0202 - bad.

RT.

Goto Menu -> tools-> information now press 777777 on remote. Some firmware requires 8888. If the CCID is one of the following 00D0, 00EA, 085B, 0D0C, 98A1, 98f2, 9CF4, 9D1A you have a good receiver. Anything else and an update may kill the unit.

RT.

my s10 just received from ebay (but not from shop4fta unless they use several different ebay IDs) appears to be a clone also (chip ID D000 not in the list). I don't know how to prove it's a clone because you never know if my receiver was made in a new batch and might be legit but not have its chip ID added to the list that was last updated in June.

seems to blind scan, tune signals fine so I don't think I can complain much (other than how the standby/power is acting funky and that I can't do a firmware upgrade because it probably will brick it if it's indeed a clone and then who knows if I can get a refund or file a fraud thing with paypal, etc with enough proof to say it's a clone). If there were more ways to tell other than the chip ID, proving fraud from being sent a clone might be easier to do.

I'll jsut leave feedback and note that the box "appears" to be a clone because the chip ID is not in the list of genuine chip IDs. Maybe that will alert future buyers to the fact the ebay seller might be selling clones.

my s10 just received from ebay (but not from shop4fta unless they use several different ebay IDs) appears to be a clone also (chip ID D000 not in the list). I don't know how to prove it's a clone because you never know if my receiver was made in a new batch and might be legit but not have its chip ID added to the list that was last updated in June.

seems to blind scan, tune signals fine so I don't think I can complain much (other than how the standby/power is acting funky and that I can't do a firmware upgrade because it probably will brick it if it's indeed a clone and then who knows if I can get a refund or file a fraud thing with paypal, etc with enough proof to say it's a clone). If there were more ways to tell other than the chip ID, proving fraud from being sent a clone might be easier to do.

I'll jsut leave feedback and note that the box "appears" to be a clone because the chip ID is not in the list of genuine chip IDs. Maybe that will alert future buyers to the fact the ebay seller might be selling clones.
I read on another fourm a member there had a unit with that ID and many stated there it was "bad." As for where these ID's come from is from others that know much more about this problem than I do. Mine was from Ebay and if the seller does not reply I will start a complaint with them.
Why not contact the manufacturer directly and ask about it?
If you are a bootleg manufacture in China, are you going to tell someone the truth? Not likely. Or even answer.

RT.

cracklincrotch said:
Why not contact the manufacturer directly and ask about it?

ROTFL....... I love starting each day with a good laugh!

From the looks of the trade sites, every factory that used to make knock off Nike shoes are now "The Manufacturer" of Openbox. :)

RT.

Hummm, I just checked the one I bought from another member here and it is 0200??? I guess it wasn't such a good deal after all then and that is probably the real reason he unloaded it! He claimed that he bought it from that guy that runs the "other" FTA forum, who is "suppose" to be a reputable dealer???

So let me see if I understand this correctly. If I've got a "clone" S9 and I try to update the firmware in it to get rid of the green tint problem I have then there's a good chance it will turn into a brick????

Hummm, I just checked the one I bought from another member here and it is 0200??? I guess it wasn't such a good deal after all then and that is probably the real reason he unloaded it! He claimed that he bought it from that guy that runs the "other" FTA forum, who is "suppose" to be a reputable dealer???

So let me see if I understand this correctly. If I've got a "clone" S9 and I try to update the firmware in it to get rid of the green tint problem I have then there's a good chance it will turn into a brick????

I think mine was 0200 with the older FW. It checks good now. The older FW doesn't display the same codes.

I've got a s9 myself
I got my Openbox S9 from ShopForFTA. The CCID number is 0201.

I owned 3 each from Shop4fta. All of them Originals and working 100%. Fast shipment and customer support. One the box I ordered miss some of the Free Gift so I contacted them and the very next day they ship everything and send me an apology memo!!

Im not sure if every clone out there would brick up by adding new firmware.I would say if you have done some firmware updates already and all went well i would think any future firmware upates would work just as well

What's the wholesale price on the Openbox, Brian? Ballpark.

I have seen these receivers listed on Alibaba for 20-30 dollars if they are bought in quantity.
Look around on the European sites and you will not find much discussion about clone Openboxes. This makes me think that there is no such thing as an Openbox clone because they are all clones to begin with. GregH.

I"m still running the original firmware because the S9 works perfectly. The only trouble I"ve had with the unit is keeping my big finger off the format button on the remote.

The firmware in mine now is HDS2-11-01-02:0899CMT and it's got the green tint in composit output. I've downloaded the latest version that was released a week or two back but was waiting for a while until after the dust settled to see if it was something I wanted to do. Now I'm not sure? I sent the guy I got it from a PM to see if he knew it was a clone but to back up a bit, are we ABSOLUTELY SURE that the 0200 CCID means it's a clone??

Mine is 0107. It works fine. I'm using a HDMI output to a 1080 HD TV. I changed software once way back when I got it to update the USA satellites.

Very interesting list of information. I was going from what I read from more than one FTA forum. Where they got those "special" numbers from is a good guess. At least more than one forum had the same info. I know I would want to update one 'cuz the one I did receive was full of Sats from the other side of the Earth. My dish can't "see" them.:D
I have one on order from shop4fta and their site states they guarantee they do not sell clones. So, in a few days I will see what that CCID shows. I sure would not want to buy something, update it, and have it tell me it was dead.:(
From the numbers listed here, one can only wonder???:confused:

RT.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)