BCS Bowl Predictions

Derwin0

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
Yes, we'll know the matchups next week, but I thought it would be fun to have our guesses at who will go where prior to next week. Not to mention see who the best guesser is.

BCS Bowl tie-ins:
MNC - #1 & #2
Rose Bowl - Big 10 & Pac 10
Sugar Bowl - SEC
Orange Bowl - ACC
Fiesta Bowl - Big 12
<at large> - Big East

BCS at large Picking Order:
Replacement - Bowl that lost #1 team
Replacement - Bowl that lost #2 team
Orange Bowl
Fiesta Bowl
Sugar Bowl
*if #1 or #2 is Big East or at large, then no replacement picks are needed*

My Picks

MNC - Alabama vs. Texas
Rose Rose - Ohio St. vs. Oregon
Orange Bowl - Ga Tech vs. TCU
Fiesta Bowl - Iowa vs. Boise St.
Sugar Bowl - Florida vs. Pitt

MNC - Alabama vs. Texas
Rose - Ohio St. vs. Oregon St.
Orange - Clemson vs. TCU
Fiesta - Penn St. vs. Boise St.
Sugar - Florida vs. Cincy

MNC - Florida vs. Texas
Orange - Georgia Tech vs. TCU
Sugar - Alabama vs. Pitt

MNC - Alabama vs. Texas
Orange - Clemson vs. TCU
Sugar - Florida vs. Cincy

If Georgia Tech wins the ACC they will probably play TCU in the Orange. If Clemson wins, however, the Orange Bowl would not want a Clemson-TCU rematch, and would probably take the Big East champion instead.

Sandra

My Picks

MNC - Florida vs. Texas (Winner: Florida)
Rose Rose - Ohio St. vs. Oregon (Winner: OSU)
Orange Bowl - Ga Tech vs. TCU (Winner: TCU)
Fiesta Bowl - Iowa vs. Boise St. (Winner: Boise St)
Sugar Bowl - Alabama vs. Cincy (Winner: Alabama)

My Picks

MNC - Florida vs. Cincinnati
Fiesta Bowl - Iowa vs. Nebraska
Sugar Bowl - Alabama vs. Texas

Yep that's it. Nebraska will beat Texas in the Big 12 championship.

My Picks

MNC - Florida vs. Cincinnati
Fiesta Bowl - Iowa vs. Nebraska
Sugar Bowl - Alabama vs. Texas

Yep that's it. Nebraska will beat Texas in the Big 12 championship.
Nebraska's defense is good (Suh is REAL good), but their offense s*cks. I say Texas 17-7.

MNC - Florida vs. Texas
Rose - Ohio St. vs. Oregon
Orange - Georgia Tech vs. TCU
Fiesta - Iowa vs. Boise St.
Sugar - Alabama vs. Cincy

A bunch of teams will play each other in a group of matchups that people are conflicted about as teams and fans to wonder 'what if we played in that other bowl' as teams play above and below those who they were matched up against leaving just 1 teams fans happy to 'win it all' and the rest of the winners wondering why they didn't get their chance.

So basically like every year, go BCS!

A bunch of teams will play each other in a group of matchups that people are conflicted about as teams and fans to wonder 'what if we played in that other bowl' as teams play above and below those who they were matched up against leaving just 1 teams fans happy to 'win it all' and the rest of the winners wondering why they didn't get their chance.

So basically like every year, go BCS!
Don't you mean go college football? The BCS is no worse than what they've had before.

Don't you mean go college football? The BCS is no worse than what they've had before.

I agree. Teams playing in minor bowls goes back to the 50's and 60's, doesn't it? Now there are more minor bowls, but they have existed for years.

At least with the BCS you are guaranteed to get the top two teams playing each other. I remember when I was young it was possible for the #1 team to play in like the Rose Bowl, and the #2 team would play in perhaps the Orange Bowl, with no chance of meeting on the field. Ever. What fun.

It was like if the AL and the NL did not play a world series, and you just argued about who was better instead.

You can argue that they don't always get the #1 and #2 teams right, of course, but that's a different argument. Heck, basketball takes 65 teams and you always hear about 5-10 teams complaing because they were not chosen.

Sandra

I agree. Teams playing in minor bowls goes back to the 50's and 60's, doesn't it? Now there are more minor bowls, but they have existed for years.

At least with the BCS you are guaranteed to get the top two teams playing each other. I remember when I was young it was possible for the #1 team to play in like the Rose Bowl, and the #2 team would play in perhaps the Orange Bowl, with no chance of meeting on the field. Ever. What fun.

It was like if the AL and the NL did not play a world series, and you just argued about who was better instead.

You can argue that they don't always get the #1 and #2 teams right, of course, but that's a different argument. Heck, basketball takes 65 teams and you always hear about 5-10 teams complaing because they were not chosen.

Sandra

OK. I am calling you out on this one. If #66 is not chosen, WHO CARES. IT DOES NOT MATTER. If #3 is unbeaten and does not have a shot a the national championship, then it is a BIG DEAL. It is a much different situation. And if they expand to 8 teams, the argument that #9 will complain is not the same as #3 complaining. #3 >>> #9 in the national championship picture. Anyone using this argument for why we shouldn't have a playoff needs to come up with a better reason because it does not hold water with me.

Yeah, should've been them instead of OU in 2003. LSU missed out on the other half of their MNC title because of that. ;)
Everybody knew the rules before the season started. OU played the rules better than USC (or Auburn or LSU). You guys whine just like Texas. ;)

OK. I am calling you out on this one. If #66 is not chosen, WHO CARES. IT DOES NOT MATTER. If #3 is unbeaten and does not have a shot a the national championship, then it is a BIG DEAL. It is a much different situation. And if they expand to 8 teams, the argument that #9 will complain is not the same as #3 complaining. #3 >>> #9 in the national championship picture. Anyone using this argument for why we shouldn't have a playoff needs to come up with a better reason because it does not hold water with me.

I agree with much of what you said in principle.

My main point, though, is that having number 1 play number 2, with number 3 (even if it thinks it should be 1 or 2) playing a consolation game, is still better than what used to happen. As I said, there were times when the clear numbers 1 and 2 could never possibly meet. That's bad. Call me out on that if you like, if you want to argue the old way was better, you go right ahead. I doubt you'll find many who agree with you though...

The rest of your statement is more subjective. Does number 3 have a better argument than number 66? Of course. You also have to consider that #66 is actually probably number 40-something considering all of the automatic bids to low-level conferences, but the point stands.

That said, when all of our grandchildren are in this forum and the NCAA finally allows an 8 team playoff, there will be lots of complaints from team number 9, who thinks they have just a legitimate chance as team number 8 to win a national championship...and they'll complain about whatever process is in place that kept them out.

Of course, number 9 won't complain about the process until after the season is over, just like number 3 does now...

Sandra

Yeah, should've been them instead of OU in 2003. LSU missed out on the other half of their MNC title because of that. ;)

Utah also missed out last year, and TCU likely the same this year.

I think number 9's missing the cut would be a lot less memorable and controversal than the above examples, unless the top 12 are all unbeaten or something, which of course would never happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)