BCS621 (6ft Fortec) Airport Interference?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

watari

Sep 13, 2006
Thanks. First Post. Forgive me if I transgrend some conventions
of this group.

I am new to C-band. (I been using a retrofitted Starband dish/lnb
with Ku for awhile). Anyway, I bought the 6 ft. FortecStar dish and
the BSC621-2, and have been playing around. Something odd has
occurred, though.

I have been trying to get PAS9 from our condo property. We have
a clear look at the sky. I've tried and tried, in C and Ku, and it's like
PAS9 just doesn't exist. I'm thinking maybe it's the airport.

PAS9
AIRPORT
DISH

Then, I dragged the dish over to another property, which isn't quite
as near the airport, and low and behold, PAS9 popped up clear and
strong.

What's a little odd, though, is that PAS9, in terms of skyshot is right
next door to Amazonas, which came in pretty clear actually from the
condo. So, I'm really wondering, is it the airport? That is, why
wouldn't the airport have caused the same interference with respect
to Amazonas?

In short, I can't see PAS9 at all from the condo, but when I took the
dish over to another location away from the airport, PAS9 was easily
found. On the other hand, I could get Amazonas from the condo,
which has almost the same trajectory as PAS9 (also goes over
the airport). I've also been able to get Hispasat ID, which also points
over in the direction of the airport.

I don't feed satisfied that I've troubleshooted everything. Is there
some reasons PAS9 (58 deg W) would be invisible, but Amazonas
(61 deg W) would not?

From what I remembered when I was teen at that time my dad has a 10 foot C-band dish was picking up C-band aircraft radar's signal some kind of weird pulse lines on the TV screen so that's whats messing up the analog FM video!:)

Maybe that's why you are getting the QRM radar "Man made transmitter interferences" from the airport, or it's sometime radar bouncing off the aircraft's body when it's flying over your place!

I think there is way is to get a filter turn on if your receiver has one or get a screen mesh to block the radar's signal by shielding the dish.

Hope that's helps!!

Any chance you are under or near a microwave path? I honestly don't know if this applies to Ku band reception: I do remember that back when the FCC actually licensed satellite dishes used for reception that a microwave path that went through the view of the satellite would prevent proper reception. Back then it wasn't that common. Now there are a lot more microwave links, both licensed and unlicensed. On the other hand if this were still a problem you'd think you'd hear more about it.

I've talked to guys around airports or metropolitan areas, and they usually employ deeper dishes to block any terrestrial interference. Also, I know this guy in Jersey that uses some kind of radar filter.

You can get bandpass filters that will filter out the interference from aircraft altimeters.

http://www.microwavefilter.com/tvrointerference.htm

They're generally in the $400 range. So, you want to be sure you need one before purchasing one. Also even with the best ones, there is some insertion loss associated with using one of these filters. So, you often times need to go a bit larger on the dish size to make up for the lost signal.

Having said that I'm not so sure your problem sounds like a TI problem. Often times TI problems will show up intermittently and will either affect receptions all across the arc or on several satellites in one portion of the arc. For example if one lived in an area where a source of TI signals was located to the east, one might experience the symptoms of TI on all satellites on the eastern side of the arc but perhaps not, or to a lesser degree, on satellites on the western side. Since you indicate that you don't have issues on amazonas, which is located close to pas9, I'd be very doubtful that this issue is TI.

Edit: I just noticed that you also mention Ku. If your having issues with Ku also, then It's very doubtful your problem is TI.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)