been thinking

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Md
he lack of a 4k dvr, the laughable hs17 and its issues, and the atrocity of the new guide actually have me looking at dish, something i said i would never do when i left them before

these are my only 2 options

does anyone know if directv has anything in the pipe worth waiting on?

the current HS17 & HR54 are 4K DVR's the HS17 does not have a hdmi output the HR54 has an HDMI out put 1.4 that is why you need a C61K for it's hdmin 2.0 port.

Content and the fact that dish only does 1440 hd is the main reason I stick it out with D* as comcast tv is a no go for me .

you gave to do whats best for - I think of the current HS17 as the HR34 when it was rolled out Now you can only find most them 34's at the recycle center.

Rumor Mill has a Possible HS25 what it has should it come about may depend on how loud the uproar over the current hs17 setup and being restricted to clients only is,

Remember thinking is bad as soon as you change - the grass may suddenly become greener on the other side of the fence. meaning they rush more 4K content out in the coming months--LOL

its not a 4k dvr if it cannot output 4k. it may be a 4k server, but not a stand alone unit.
i cannot 'upgrade; to 4k without downgrading my system
loss of timers, pip, actual hddvr at each tv

i actually still have an hr34, it runs fine. no issues, sure it can be a bit slow at times, but its just tv.

i have heard, cannot confirm, that dish is not downrezing as much anymore

dont really want to take that chance, or deal with the dishputes.

there is rumor of an hs27 and an hs37 (mentioned in the android set top box) but no details

It is my understanding, from posts here, that the 1440 business is mostly gone from Dish.

If equipment is more important to you than programming and picture quality then Dish is probably a better choice. While I understand some of the criticism of the HS17 set up ( I liked having multiple DVRs but I've gotten used to clients) as well the new guide (people just hate change) I have no major complaints and no intention of going anywhere. 4K PQ on DTV is stunning and everything works just fine with the HS17 and the wired clients. The wireless clients OTOH aren't exactly perfect but I don't have them hooked up anywhere critical (office and spare bedroom).

As others have said, no one provider is right for everyone. Pick what works for you.

Reactions: seanmh72
You keep posting in the faint hope that someone is going to toss you a crumb on this.
1. there are no signs DirecTV will develop a stand-alone 4K DVR. Why would they want to? Their product direction is client server (HS27 etc), to accommodate sat and future IP solutions. Hopefully there will be more timers in the future.
2. "No-one" uses PIP, at least the number is probably too small to be meaningful

For most of DirecTV's customer base, there's nothing wrong with the HS17. Many of the issues posted are not HS17 problems per se, but the growing pains of 4K and in particular HDMI/HDCP. Go back in time and look at the year after HDMI first appeared. Hardly anything seemed to work correctly,

If equipment is more important to you than programming and picture quality then Dish is probably a better choice. While I understand some of the criticism of the HS17 set up ( I liked having multiple DVRs but I've gotten used to clients) as well the new guide (people just hate change) I have no major complaints and no intention of going anywhere. 4K PQ on DTV is stunning and everything works just fine with the HS17 and the wired clients. The wireless clients OTOH aren't exactly perfect but I don't have them hooked up anywhere critical (office and spare bedroom).

As others have said, no one provider is right for everyone. Pick what works for you.

I won't go through the PQ debate but what is the programming deficit DISH has? If you mean there is a channel or two or that you specifically want or the NFL package I understand that. But there are a couple of channels DISH has that Direct does not that I watch so it seems a wash?

Reputation is that DTV has more sports coverage, Dish more movies.

As to channel lineups, that’s a moving target. You’d have to compare current lists from each at equivalent packages side by side.

An Internet search will mostly yield outdated information.

Reactions: johnr475
If you are a sports fan and the provider does not have your local sports network then that's a 100% dealbreaker. try Dish and Yes.
Comcast also lost YES for a while although I think it is back.

I won't go through the PQ debate but what is the programming deficit DISH has? If you mean there is a channel or two or that you specifically want or the NFL package I understand that. But there are a couple of channels DISH has that Direct does not that I watch so it seems a wash?
Ask virtually any sports fan in the NYC dma.

If you are a sports fan and the provider does not have your local sports network then that's a 100% dealbreaker. try Dish and Yes.
Comcast also lost YES for a while although I think it is back.
It is.

Ask virtually any sports fan in the NYC dma.

Does not affect subscribers overall. How does that affect the OP in MD? Or me? Generically saying "Programming" isn't helping someone to decide.

Does not affect subscribers overall. How does that affect the OP in MD? Or me? Generically saying "Programming" isn't helping someone to decide.
You asked what the programming deficit is. I explained. If you need more specifics, here you go. YES is the Yankees network, one of the most popular teams in the world. They are located in one of the largest cities in the world. Dish doesn't carry them, so Dish is losing millions of potential customers by not carrying YES. Do you understand now?

Your taking it to literally, so I would say if your football team is not your local team it would fit also, as in season ticket.

Your taking it to literally, so I would say if your football team is not your local team it would fit also, as in season ticket.

Huh? If you want Season Ticket you already have Direct tv. If you are switching to DISH or Cable you don't care about it.

You asked what the programming deficit is. I explained. If you need more specifics, here you go. YES is the Yankees network, one of the most popular teams in the world. They are located in one of the largest cities in the world. Dish doesn't carry them, so Dish is losing millions of potential customers by not carrying YES. Do you understand now?

Nope and who are you to ask me if I understand now? I understand just fine. How is DISH losing millions of potential customers? I can't simply get YES in Tampa, Tempe, or anywhere outside the DMA. That would take getting the MLB package. Hope your not saying you don't get Yankee games with that package and DISH...because that would be wrong. And DISH is not losing millions of households in that DMA that would magically subscribe to DISH if they had YES. DISH has considered the subscribers they potentially would lose when they made the decision not to carry those RSN's and that there were many households that don't care about sports/getting their RSN. (That was said at that time) On this forum there are a number of people who would gladly not get their RSN and have to pay for it. (And do with Flex)
Why do you have add inflammatory things like Do you understand now? I stand by if YES or NY sports if your reason for saying programming is the reason not to get DISH then you are not helping people like the OP who wouldn't get YES anyway. It would be pertinent if the person was in the NY DMA.

Nope and who are you to ask me if I understand now? I understand just fine. How is DISH losing millions of potential customers? I can't simply get YES in Tampa, Tempe, or anywhere outside the DMA. That would take getting the MLB package. Hope your not saying you don't get Yankee games with that package and DISH...because that would be wrong. And DISH is not losing millions of households in that DMA that would magically subscribe to DISH if they had YES. DISH has considered the subscribers they potentially would lose when they made the decision not to carry those RSN's and that there were many households that don't care about sports/getting their RSN. (That was said at that time) On this forum there are a number of people who would gladly not get their RSN and have to pay for it. (And do with Flex)
Why do you have add inflammatory things like Do you understand now? I stand by if YES or NY sports if your reason for saying programming is the reason not to get DISH then you are not helping people like the OP who wouldn't get YES anyway. It would be pertinent if the person was in the NY DMA.
I said millions of potential customers didn't I? I said in the NYC dma didn't I?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)