Big4 - Bakersfield, CA

GuyWhoMoves

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 9, 2021
Las Vegas
Arrived Bakersfield, CA yesterday and here are my findings.
I have to be more patient when starting up Dish and not quickly pushing buttons. I have a incorrect setting in the remote control, that makes everything more difficult, with turning on the TV. I also need to closely follow the Dish instructions.
Setting up more closely resembled when we where in Albany, OR. Going thru the My Dish app It required a secure password to be entered.
Ultimately we now have all the Big4, and the others for Bakersfield. TheBig4 are however in SD and not HD.
We have a OTA antenna that is separate from the Hopper3. Going thru the all the Big4 channels they where in HD. I do believe I should be getting all the locals on dish in HD. Dish channel 215 is received in HD.

I don't think it's handled. Just reporting on whats happening place to place. It's very difficult trying to troubleshoot when things can be different place to place. Sorry, if I missed any troubleshooting advice.

I don't think it's handled. Just reporting on whats happening place to place. It's very difficult trying to troubleshoot when things can be different place to place. Sorry, if I missed any troubleshooting advice.
Let’s see, in your opening remarks in the first post of this thread you stated that you were receiving all four of Bakersfield‘s locals but they were were SD. You went on to say that DISH channel 215 was HD. I answered that post remarking that the Bakersfield SD locals were on 110 while the HD locals were on 129. I mentioned that you were probably not seeing 129. You answered that with betting that the HDP (sic) 42 was bad. Coincidentally channel 215 is also on 110.

Now, after seeing someone mention that you might not be seeing 129 did you to take a look if that was the case? Not that we know of just that you seem to think that you DPH42 switch might be bad.

Now, let’s go back to the first thread, Dish Tech Support, where NYDutch, a full time RVer who has lot’s of knowledge of the ins and outs of reception issues asked “what are your signal levels of each of the 3 western arc satellites.“ The thread ended there. You never answered that question.

In your second thread Dish & The Big4, I asked “Is your issue just with the SF area locals or have you had this issue everywhere you park.”. The thread ended there. You never answered that question.

It has been noted that your issues are probably equipment issues and I might agree. I’d like answers to both questions noted above, what are your signal levels on all three western arc satellites and are your issues the same at every parking location.

Now picking up the bits and pieces that you have given us, we know that you have a Hopper 3, a DPH42, and a Winegard antenna. Is your Winegard one of the roof mounted ones? If so, have you checked the wiring from that antenna to the DPH42 switch? Then how about the wiring from that switch all the way to the Hopper. It might help if you educated us about the entire hardware/wiring that you have installed.

Let’s see if you can answer these simple questions, especially the signal levels, and maybe we can actually guide you to a positive outcome. Or are you just going to start another thread.

Let’s see, in your opening remarks in the first post of this thread you stated that you were receiving all four of Bakersfield‘s locals but they were were SD. You went on to say that DISH channel 215 was HD. I answered that post remarking that the Bakersfield SD locals were on 110 while the HD locals were on 129. I mentioned that you were probably not seeing 129. You answered that with betting that the HDP (sic) 42 was bad. Coincidentally channel 215 is also on 110.

Now, after seeing someone mention that you might not be seeing 129 did you to take a look if that was the case? Not that we know of just that you seem to think that you DPH42 switch might be bad.

Now, let’s go back to the first thread, Dish Tech Support, where NYDutch, a full time RVer who has lot’s of knowledge of the ins and outs of reception issues asked “what are your signal levels of each of the 3 western arc satellites.“ The thread ended there. You never answered that question.

In your second thread Dish & The Big4, I asked “Is your issue just with the SF area locals or have you had this issue everywhere you park.”. The thread ended there. You never answered that question.

It has been noted that your issues are probably equipment issues and I might agree. I’d like answers to both questions noted above, what are your signal levels on all three western arc satellites and are your issues the same at every parking location.

Now picking up the bits and pieces that you have given us, we know that you have a Hopper 3, a DPH42, and a Winegard antenna. Is your Winegard one of the roof mounted ones? If so, have you checked the wiring from that antenna to the DPH42 switch? Then how about the wiring from that switch all the way to the Hopper. It might help if you educated us about the entire hardware/wiring that you have installed.

Let’s see if you can answer these simple questions, especially the signal levels, and maybe we can actually guide you to a positive outcome. Or are you just going to start another thread.
The signal strength is 63 on all 3. Push the home button 3 times and press Dish. There is a switch status on the right. of the screen which shows satellite 110 and the tuners are checked. In the signal strength box it s shows 110 and that is 63. I then select 119 and 129 and they both show 63. I had called Dish when I first encountered this problem and they always showed 63.
The only time I was able to receive the locals where Eugene, OR, Albany, OR and Bakersfield, CA, I was not able to receive the locals in Junction City, OR and San Jose, CA. Like I said I called Dish multiple times, no results.
The dish that is on the roof was used for Directv and had a kit that was provided by Winegard. One lowers and raises as one needs too.
I have not checked the wiring and when we get to Casa Grande, AZ we will be there for several months. The HDP42 switch was basically in a box off the back of a truck. As a long time person in Telecommunication, I would not have used it. I was the day of the installation and we needed it to complete the installation. I am very wary of buying things of the back of trucks, I have a new one in the bay. I am of the age where one does not get on roofs. I will be able to get to the DPH42. Sorry, I did not reply I am a newbie here.

I am a bit concerned that you are showing 63 on all 3 satellites. 129 is never, and I mean never, as high as as 110 and 119. Here is what I get here in the SF Bay Area:

IMG_0096.jpeg

IMG_0097.jpeg

IMG_0098.jpeg

You will note that I used transponder 21 on all three satellites. That is because they are not spot beams, they are CONUS. Now you will also see that in each case it shows the satellite as Locked. That is very important. If you were looking at say 129, transponder 21 and you should see Locked as well. If your equipment wasn't seeing 129 you might get a signal that looked like 119 but it would not say Locked. Go back to your Hopper and try it, go to each satellite and move to transponder 21 and let us know what the signal strength shows and if, in each case, it shows locked. Also ensure that you are seeing the correct Satellite at the bottom. ie: my last photo shows Satellite 129 . Locked... The satellite chosen under Tuner should match the satellite at the bottom.

Last edited:
I looked a little further after you said you were able to receive locals in Albany and Eugene, OR but not Junction City. I am very familiar with all three cities, geographically. My daughter lives in Corvallis. All three are in the Eugene DMA and their HD locals are on 129 while the SD locals are on 110. If you got locals in Albany and Eugene you should have seen the same in Junction City. That proves it is not a DISH issue but something in your hardware/wiring or aiming issues. All three of those cities are about an hour or less in driving time. Let me see if one of my assumptions is correct. You began your journey in Albany or perhaps north of there and parked there. You were able to receive the Eugene locals just fine. Then you moved to Eugene and got those same locals just fine. Then you headed several miles north to Junction City and had issues. Maybe you started in Eugene, went north to Albany and then backtracked to Junction City. My whole thought is that J C was the third stop followed by San Jose. My thinking is your issues began after the first two stops. Something changed in between. That’s what we are trying to figure out. If you can take pictures of your 3 screens similar to what I did earlier it would be helpful. Also is your antenna a Winegard Trav’ler? We’ve had some issues here earlier with that model that got rectified. Pictures of your screens could help to isolate that.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Well at least we now know the reason he can't answer a simple question, asked multiple times. He would find out the real problem and get it fixed. Where's the fun in THAT?

The signal strength is 63 on all 3. Push the home button 3 times and press Dish. There is a switch status on the right. of the screen which shows satellite 110 and the tuners are checked. In the signal strength box it s shows 110 and that is 63. I then select 119 and 129 and they both show 63. I had called Dish when I first encountered this problem and they always showed 63.
The only time I was able to receive the locals where Eugene, OR, Albany, OR and Bakersfield, CA, I was not able to receive the locals in Junction City, OR and San Jose, CA. Like I said I called Dish multiple times, no results.
The dish that is on the roof was used for Directv and had a kit that was provided by Winegard. One lowers and raises as one needs too.
I have not checked the wiring and when we get to Casa Grande, AZ we will be there for several months. The HDP42 switch was basically in a box off the back of a truck. As a long time person in Telecommunication, I would not have used it. I was the day of the installation and we needed it to complete the installation. I am very wary of buying things of the back of trucks, I have a new one in the bay. I am of the age where one does not get on roofs. I will be able to get to the DPH42. Sorry, I did not reply I am a newbie here.

It *is* still fairly early on the West coast. He might still be having coffee.

"Yeah yeah, patience, how long will THAT take?" -Ed Gruberman
This was his last post. It answered some questions and added an apology. I am also on the west coast but I wouldn't expect him to jump right to it. You are now adding nothing to this conversation except driving him away. That's not what we do here. ;)

This was his last post. It answered some questions and added an apology. I am also on the west coast but I wouldn't expect him to jump right to it. You are now adding nothing to this conversation except driving him away. That's not what we do here. ;)
My apologies. I simply don't believe he's looking for help, otherwise why decline it so many times? He's looking for validation of his pet theory. It was the "yeah yeah, that's what Dish said too" that pushed my buttons. Perhaps I'm wrong and would LOVE to be proven so. There is help here if he wants it and I truly hope he accepts it. But if he doesn't want it I'll still sleep tonight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts