Bonds exposed Shadows details superstar slugger's steroid use

hbk409

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 12, 2005
LI,NY
full story

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/03/06/news.excerpt/index.html

NEW YORK (SI.com) -- Beginning in 1998 with injections in his buttocks of Winstrol, a powerful steroid, Barry Bonds took a wide array of performance-enhancing drugs over at least five seasons in a massive doping regimen that grew more sophisticated as the years went on, according to Game of Shadows, a book written by two San Francisco Chronicle reporters at the forefront of reporting on the BALCO steroid distribution scandal.

(An excerpt of Game of Shadows that details Bonds' steroid use appears exclusively in the March 13 issue of Sports Illustrated, which is available on newsstands beginning on Wednesday. The book's publication date is March 27.)

The authors, Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams, describe in sometimes day-to-day, drug-by-drug detail how often and how deeply Bonds engaged in the persistent doping. For instance, the authors write that by 2001, when Bonds broke Mark McGwire's single-season home-run record (70) by belting 73, Bonds was using two designer steroids referred to as the Cream and the Clear, as well as insulin, human growth hormone, testosterone decanoate (a fast-acting steroid known as Mexican beans) and trenbolone, a steroid created to improve the muscle quality of cattle.

BALCO tracked Bonds' usage with doping calendars and folders -- detailing drugs, quantities, intervals and Bonds' testosterone levels -- that wound up in the hands of federal agents upon their Sept. 3, 2003 raid of the Burlingame, Calif., business.

Depending on the substance, Bonds used the drugs in virtually every conceivable form: injecting himself with a syringe or being injected by his trainer, Greg Anderson, swallowing pills, placing drops of liquid under his tongue, and, in the case of BALCO's notorious testosterone-based cream, applying it topically.

According to the book, Bonds gulped as many as 20 pills at a time and was so deeply reliant on his regimen that he ordered Anderson to start "cycles" -- a prescribed period of steroid use lasting about three weeks -- even when he was not due to begin one. Steroid users typically stop usage for a week or two periodically to allow the body to continue to produce natural testosterone; otherwise, such production diminishes or ceases with the continued introduction of synthetic forms of the muscle-building hormone.

Bonds called for the re-starting of cycles when he felt his energy and power start to drop. If Anderson told Bonds he was not due for another cycle, the authors write, Bonds would tell him, "F--- off, I'll do it myself.''

When informed of the book this morning and asked if he was concerned about it, Bonds told a group of reporters gathered around his locker, "Nope. I won't even look at it [the book]. For what? I won't even look at it. There's no need to." He then walked away.

The authors compiled the information over a two-year investigation that included, but was not limited to, court documents, affidavits filed by BALCO investigators, confidential memoranda of federal agents (including statements made to them by athletes and trainers), grand jury testimony, audiotapes and interviews with more than 200 sources. Some of the information previously was reported by the authors in the Chronicle. Some of the information is new. For instance, in an extensive note on sourcing, the authors said memos detailing statements by BALCO owner Victor Conte, vice president James Valente and Anderson to IRS special agent Jeff Novitzky were sealed when they first consulted them, but have been unsealed since

Yep, just another POS book deal by two scumbags trying to make money and put their names in the spotlight. No matter what Bonds (or any other players) did or didn't do, these guys, and people like them, are just as bad in my book. If they are JUST WRITING A STORY or TRYING TO GET THE STORY RIGHT, then pass it out for free to everyone.

I think players that cheat by taking illegal steriods are much worse than the people writing the books. They are making millions of dollars possibly even taking a roster spot away from someone clean. I see no difference in Bonds and a thief IMO. Hes commited robbery and fraud. Same for Giambi, Mcguire, Sosa, etc.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
I think players that cheat by taking illegal steriods are much worse than the people writing the books. They are making millions of dollars possibly even taking a roster spot away from someone clean. I see no difference in Bonds and a thief IMO. Hes commited robbery and fraud. Same for Giambi, Mcguire, Sosa, etc.

Agree 100%, there is no room for these scumbags in baseball. It kills me to think Bonds may be the homerun king soon. Hank Aaron was such an amazing and dedicated ballplayer, he doesn't deserve to have his records stolen by that thief Bonds.:mad:

I hope no one is really surprised by this accusation. I mean look how big Bonds was a couple years back compared to his days with the Pirates. He looked like a defensive back turned lineman. There's no way he or McGwire for that matter could hit 70+ HR without this stuff. Same goes for Sosa, he looked positively frail last year with the O's. Almost like he quit going to the weight room. Absolutely a result of not using these enhancement drugs anymore.

vurbano said:

There is no hard evidence on Bonds about taking steriods. As of right now all the evidence on Bonds is what people say. These 2 guys wrote this book for one purpose, to make money. I am a huge Bonds supporter and will be until he is PROVEN "meaning test positive" that he has took steriods. And besides if he took all of the substance that they say he would OD. They said he would take 20 pills at one time. No way anyone could do that.

One thing I hear people say that you can see a huge change in the HR stats look at this then SHUT UP!
http://www.rogermaris.com/careerstats.htm
Roger Maris
Year HR
1957 14
1958 28
1959 16
1960 39
1961 61
1962 33
1963 23
1964 26
1965 8
1966 13
1967 9
1968 5

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bondsba01.shtml
Barry Bonds
Year HR
1986 16
1987 25
1988 24
1989 19
1990 33
1991 25
1992 34
1993 46
1994 37
1995 33
1996 42
1997 40
1998 37
1999 34
2000 49
2001 73
2002 46
2003 45
2004 45
2005 5

Both of their numbers are close to the same every year. Oh wait next you are going to tell me the year Roger hit 61 he was on steriods right.:rolleyes:

The Tate said:
One thing I hear people say that you can see a huge change in the HR stats look at this then SHUT UP!
http://www.rogermaris.com/careerstats.htm
Roger Maris
Year HR
1957 14
1958 28
1959 16
1960 39
1961 61
1962 33
1963 23
1964 26
1965 8
1966 13
1967 9
1968 5

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bondsba01.shtml
Barry Bonds
Year HR
1986 16
1987 25
1988 24
1989 19
1990 33
1991 25
1992 34
1993 46
1994 37
1995 33
1996 42
1997 40
1998 37
1999 34
2000 49
2001 73
2002 46
2003 45
2004 45
2005 5

Both of their numbers are close to the same every year. Oh wait next you are going to tell me the year Roger hit 61 he was on steriods right.:rolleyes:

If anything, comparing those stats make the steroid case against Bonds even stronger.
Maris hit his peak between 1960-1962 then steadily declined til retirement.

Bonds, on the otherhand, hits what appears to be a peak in the mid to late 90's. Then he explodes with unreal numbers just before he reaches his 40's.

I am sorry, but it is not natural to get better with sports at that time of life. If he stayed the same or gradually got worse, that would be normal.

Granted, Bonds was an amazingly talented ballplayer, but if you honestly believe he has not used steroids in recent years, then you are drinking some strong kool-aid. :rolleyes:

Compare these stats and tell me something isn't going on.

Barry Bonds Age 40
Batting AVG. .362
HomeRuns 45
RBI 101

Hank Aaron age 40
Batting AVG. .268
HomeRuns 20
RBI 69

Babe Ruth age 40
Batting AVG. .181
HomeRuns 6
RBI 12

Willie Mays age 40
Batting AVG. .271
HomeRuns 18
RBI 61

Next thing you will say is Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth an Willie Mays were overrated, right:confused:

Give me a break, stop defending that jerk and wake up!!

I will say one more thing about this topic then never look at this thread again.

If Bonds test positive for steroids or some other type of hard evidence besides what someone has said comes out I will not have any reason to support him. When someone is a great player people will try to take shots at them to try to break them and this is a classic example. As I said earlier some of the allegations against him is totally ridiculous.

According to the book, Bonds gulped as many as 20 pills at a time and was so deeply reliant on his regimen that he ordered Anderson to start "cycles" -- a prescribed period of steroid use lasting about three weeks -- even when he was not due to begin one.

20 pills at one time. No way anyones body could take that.

twaller,

You think you are cute right? :rolleyes:

The Tate said:
20 pills at one time. No way anyones body could take that.

Of course it's possible, there are too many variables for you just to lay out a blanket statement like that.
A.) You don't know Mr. Bonds tolerance level for steroids.
B.) You do not know the exact drug he was allegedly taking.
C.) You do not know the dosage of the drugs he allegedly took.

You need to keep in mind, there are a lot of different types of steroids out there, some of which are more dangerous or potent than others. The one constant is, they are all illegal to use without a prescription from a Doctor.

Finally, you are right, as of right now there is no hard proof he is juiced up. After all, random steroid tests and penalties just began a year or two ago. There are too many coincidences, too many people making claims, and too many inconsistencies. He had ties to BALCO and the list goes on. If you honestly believe he was not on steroids then you are blind, and for whatever reason continue to defend him.:what

The Tate said:
I will say one more thing about this topic then never look at this thread again.
Making a statement and then covering your ears will not make your statement any more correct...you're just refusing to acknowledge any facts and/or logical opinions.

If Bonds test positive for steroids or some other type of hard evidence besides what someone has said comes out I will not have any reason to support him. When someone is a great player people will try to take shots at them to try to break them and this is a classic example. As I said earlier some of the allegations against him is totally ridiculous.
I agree that he should be given the benefit of the doubt and that we should look at this with an open mind. Having said that, it is my opinion that public figures who conduct business above the board generally aren't accused of any shenanigans. Occasionally some nutcase will hurl an accusation, but they are quickly dismissed or there is no credible evidence to substantiate their psycho-babble. In regards to those committing illegal or unethical behavior, you'll see a steady stream of rumor and conjecture...followed by a equal stream of denials by fans and supporters. Remember the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal? It wasn't until that lying scumbag known as Bill Clinton was confronted with a DNA laden dress did he change his finger shaking rhetoric. Until that time, even his more fervent supporters and nutjobs were on the trail trying to discredit Ms. Lewinsky. Oh, and yes...OJ killed his ex-wife and Mr. Goldman...and yes, Pete Rose did bet on baseball!

Regarding Bonds...I'm keeping an open mind, but things are not looking good for Mr. Bonds:

- Baseball players have been juicing the past two decades.
- Bonds' physical gains have been impressive...if not remarkable.
- There has been a steady trickle of information over the years regarding his usage (this book is not the first time we're hearing about it).
- Where there are smoke stacks bellowing, there is usually fire down below.

And what say you Mr. Bonds?

1. He didnt cheat....they were not a banned substance when the alleged acts took place.

2. I just dont get the big hub-bub over THESE meds...athletes STILL take all kinds of performanc enhancing substances...so why single these out?

3. The meds didnt make as much a difference as the EYE SURGERY did. From McGuire to Sosa to Bonds all had it done and all of their numbers went up. So why dont we ban that?

Steroids are no more evil than whey protien but that is another argument....Ask youself this...what business do we have at telling people what they can do with their own bodies and what tools they can use to provide for their families?

I've been watching Bonds play every day for the last decade here in San Francisco. The guy is an amazing athlete with superb baseball skills. The concentration and swing every time he's in the batter's box are just amazing. He's the best player that I've seen play in my era.

The San Francisco media has always been after Bonds, he never liked them and treated them like $hit all the time. Now they're after him until they take him out of the game.

Did he take any banned substance? I don't know and don't really care. I will always remember him as the best baseball player that I've seen play. You don't get the baseball skills he has by taking banned substances.

shugo77 said:
If anything, comparing those stats make the steroid case against Bonds even stronger.
Maris hit his peak between 1960-1962 then steadily declined til retirement.

Bonds, on the otherhand, hits what appears to be a peak in the mid to late 90's. Then he explodes with unreal numbers just before he reaches his 40's.

I am sorry, but it is not natural to get better with sports at that time of life. If he stayed the same or gradually got worse, that would be normal.

Granted, Bonds was an amazingly talented ballplayer, but if you honestly believe he has not used steroids in recent years, then you are drinking some strong kool-aid. :rolleyes:

Compare these stats and tell me something isn't going on.

Barry Bonds Age 40
Batting AVG. .362
HomeRuns 45
RBI 101

Hank Aaron age 40
Batting AVG. .268
HomeRuns 20
RBI 69

Babe Ruth age 40
Batting AVG. .181
HomeRuns 6
RBI 12

Willie Mays age 40
Batting AVG. .271
HomeRuns 18
RBI 61

Next thing you will say is Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth an Willie Mays were overrated, right:confused:

Give me a break, stop defending that jerk and wake up!!

Your right they need to ban that steriod JUNKIE from baseball.

this has to be a dream, i agree with vurbano and disagree with tate!!

SHOOT ME!!!!!!!!!!!

come on tate, this guy was juiceing so bad he squirts OJ. and it isnt just him.

Last edited:
do you guys know what is wrong with bonds....ROBERTO CLEMENTE and the fans of the steel city. bonds couldnt carry robertos jock strap, he came here and said ill make you all forget about "that puerto rican" well we remember bobby, and we threw 9V batteries at bonds!!

The greatest right-fielder to ever play the game of baseball

Inducted into Hall of Fame in 1973

Born: August 18, 1934 ----- Died: December 31, 1972

Right Field

Threw and batted right-handed

Year Club G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI AVG
1955 Pittsburgh 124 474 48 121 23 11 5 47 .255
1956 Pittsburgh 147 543 66 169 30 7 7 60 .311
1957 Pittsburgh 111 451 42 114 17 7 4 30 .253
1958 Pittsburgh 140 519 69 150 24 10 6 50 .289
1959 Pittsburgh 105 432 60 128 17 7 4 50 .296
1960 Pittsburgh 144 570 89 179 22 6 16 94 .314
1961 Pittsburgh 146 572 100 201 30 10 23 89 *.351
1962 Pittsburgh 144 538 95 168 28 9 10 74 .312
1963 Pittsburgh 152 600 77 192 23 8 17 76 .320
1964 Pittsburgh 155 622 95 *211 40 7 12 87 *.339
1965 Pittsburgh 152 589 91 194 21 14 10 65 *.329
1966 Pittsburgh 154 638 105 202 31 11 29 119 .317
1967 Pittsburgh 147 585 103 *209 26 10 23 110 *.357
1968 Pittsburgh 132 502 74 146 18 12 18 57 .291
1969 Pittsburgh 138 507 87 175 20 *12 19 91 .345
1970 Pittsburgh 108 412 65 145 22 10 14 60 .352
1971 Pittsburgh 132 522 82 178 29 8 13 86 .341
1972 Pittsburgh 102 378 68 118 19 7 10 60 .312
M.L. Totals 2433 9454 1416 3000 440 166 240 1305 .317

"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" -- Roberto Clemente

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MVP -- 1966

1971 World Series MVP

Won 4 N.L. batting titles

12 time all-star

Won 12 Gold Gloves

Lead League in outfield assists 5 times

Had a hit in every game of the 1960 & 1971 World Series

Hit 3,000 hit on September 30, 1972

Died on New Years Eve, 1972 in an airplane crash while attempting to deliver supplies to earthquake victims in Nicaragua

All-time Pirate leader in games, at bats, hits, singles, and total bases

First Hispanic inducted into the Hall of Fame

Second baseball player to appear on a U.S. Postage Stamp (Jackie Robinson was the first)

A Musical Tribute to Roberto

The Baseball Hall of Fame Honors Roberto

HALL HONORS CLEMENTE: 1998 marks the 25th anniversary of the great Roberto Clemente's election into the Hall of Fame...In accordance with this milestone, the Hall of Fame is paying tribute to "The Great One" in a number of ways, highlighted by a temporary exhibit in the Library Atrium...The exhibit, set to open Memorial Day weekend, will be the Hall's first bilingual one, presented in both English and Spanish...The Hall has also produced and distributed a camera-ready quiz and 1200-word feature story to over 200 major and minor league clubs for use in their publications...In addition, a montage of Clemente artifacts is featured on a new Hall of Fame admission ticket, which is also set to debut Memorial Day weekend. In addition to the exhibit, there will be presentations titled The Legacy of Roberto Clemente throughout the summer of 1998. The last scheduled presentation was on August 15.

8/6/98 - Six Street Bridge Re-named in Clemente's Honor
Bridge will lead to the entrance of the Pirates' new ballpark -- Official Re-Naming Ceremony held April 7, 1999

Roberto Clemente -- 25th Anniversary Tribute; 1972 - 1997

ESPN's SportsCentury honored Clemente as one of the top 100 athletes of all-time

View Clemente's 3,000 hit as it happened on September 30, 1972
Courtesy of www.pirateball.com (1.7 meg)

This page was featured in Inside Sports, July 1998 issue. Dennis Tuttle wrote: "Among the most notable fan tributes is the elegant Roberto Clemente page...".

Here's the complete article

Links to other Roberto Clemente information:

The Official Roberto Clemente Web Site
A Form of Punishment ... by: Abby Mendelson
The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh

Total Baseball's Clemente Page
World Sports Humanitarian Hall of Fame

Total World Series 1971 MVP Page
Colored Reflections

Major League Baseball's Clemente Tribute (Multimedia site)
Glenn's Clemente Info
The Sporting News Clemente Gallery
David Smith's Clemente Page

Arecibo Lobos Tribute Memories of his passing

"Clemente played a kind of baseball that none of us had ever seen before—throwing and running and hitting at something close to the level of absolute perfection." -- Roger Angell said about Clemente's performance in the 1971 World Series

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts