BREAKING: LEBRON chooses Miami

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice try. There isn't a single athlete that has not said something stupid at one point or another in their career. Michael Jordan once said the he didn't feel like endorsing black candidates for politics because "republicans buy sneakers too". He ALSO once said it was not his job to 'monitor Nike' when they were running sweat shops in China.:rolleyes:

He apologized the next day for the bad analogy.

So.....nothing to see, let's move along....;)

accept for what he might say when the heat lose more than 2 games in a row this season. dang, we better all hope that doesn't happen :rolleyes:

Finally tonight, a few words about championship rings. Just when did they become the all-important barometer of who does or doesn’t count in sports? When did they supersede personal excellence or exemplary character as a standard of greatness?

I got to thinking about that the other night after the self-anointed chosen one, LeBron James, embarrassed himself as he tried to make his decision to seek rings in Miami sound like a search for the Holy Grail. It’s when he essentially admitted to placing a higher priority on winning than anything else.

LeBron’s decision is typical of our immediate gratification era, but it flies in the face of history. Even though he never won a title, Dan Marino is still the biggest hero in Florida. And in Boston, all those Celtics championships are dimmed by the unforgettable brilliance of Ted Williams, who never won anything. In Chicago, Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus have legendary status despite playing on losing teams. And even in the NBA, where guys seem obsessed with being viewed as ‘the man’, real men like Barkley, Ewing and Baylor are ringless, but revered.

Despite such evidence to the contrary, LeBron James seems to think he needs a ring to change his life and secure his legacy. Maybe he’ll get one, maybe he won’t, but it’s probable that no amount of rings will ever remove the stench he wallowed in last week. LeBron may yet find that in the court of public opinion, just as putting on a tux can’t make a guy a gentleman, winning a ring can’t make one truly a champion.

Spot on statements from Mr. Gumbel. The truth can be painful.

Sandra

Last edited:
Spot on statements from Mr. Gumbel. The truth can be painful.
Very articulate comments by Mr. Gumbel.

But please, keep him away from NFL play-by-play mikes. I could do a much better job than Gumbel did, and that's saying something because I would really suck at it. :)

Very articulate comments by Mr. Gumbel.

But please, keep him away from NFL play-by-play mikes. I could do a much better job than Gumbel did, and that's saying something because I would really suck at it. :)

I agree. He should stick to commenting on the likes of Lebron...Gumbel NAILED him! :up

Sandra

wow, these bozoz belong with each other. so d wade tells people if the heat lose 2 games in a row, the media will compare it to the world trade center coming down.

Those comments were gross, reprehensible and offensive to anyone who felt anything on 9/11. They are totally indefensible, but of course it didn't take the resident jock sniffer long to chime in and defend them.

Obviously $20/mil a year doesn't buy brains, manners or class.

Those comments were gross, reprehensible and offensive to anyone who felt anything on 9/11. They are totally indefensible, but of course it didn't take the resident jock sniffer long to chime in and defend them.

Obviously $20/mil a year doesn't buy brains, manners or class.

WOW!! "resident jock sniffer"....??!! Have been waiting all week to use that one! What you dad, hear dad say it and you were itchin' to use it?!

:haha:haha:haha

Didn't defend him at all. I stated he said something stupid....he realized it was stupid and apologized the next day for it. ALSO stated that Michael Jordan said plenty of stupid things during his career...since we are in the subject of basketball and great players.

...pot meet kettle....kettle say hello to pot.....

...it's bad enough to do what Lebron did, but its 10 TIMES WORSE when you did it and pretend you have not done it before....like 3 times!!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen, GOD of douche bags, Nick Saban....AKA OSabin Bin Lying! :rolleyes:

Nick Saban Hates On LeBron For Pulling a Saban

Nick Saban jumps on the LeBron James criticism bandwagon
By TODD WRIGHT
Updated 6:15 PM EDT, Mon, Jul 19, 2010

Former Miami Dolphins' head coach and universally hated person, Nick Saban, is the latest to jump on the Miami Heat Hater bandwagon, with comments he made recently at a news conference in Alabama.

Why Saban would be discussing the Heat's offseason transactions when he was supposed to be talking Bama football is anyone's guess. but what might be more troubling or offensive is that Saban stressed the importance of trust and respect.

"The way (LeBron James) managed what he did just speaks volumes about who he is and whether he is a team guy - not because he left Cleveland, but the way he did," Saban said, according to Bleacher Report. "That's not the kind of trust and respect you'd like to have in a team organization."

Oh, you mean like lying to an entire city and organization repeatedly before running out of town with millions of unearned dollars in hand?

We wonder what that says about you, Nick?

With all the haters chiming in on the Heat's new All-Star line up, we could start an All-Star team of our own.

Charles Barkley, Michael Jordan and now Nick Satan, er, Saban.

In a way, Saban is a fine example for LeBron to follow. He left a pretty tough situation in the Dolphins for the chance to win championships in college.

Nick Saban Hates On LeBron For Pulling a Saban | NBC Miami

Here is the most IRONIC thing about this thread.....the page where the announcement was made on this thread.....page 23! LOL!

and what it followed

'Traitor' comments in 3, 2, 1..

and no one seemed to cared even 10min after LOL

Here is the most IRONIC thing about this thread.....the page where the announcement was made on this thread.....page 23! LOL!

This thread was started on July 6. The announcement happened the night of July 8, which means there were 22 pages of speculation before the announcement was made.

What's so IRONIC about that? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sandra

Magic Johnson agrees with MJ & questions LeBron

Magic agrees with MJ. LeBron dun a bad thing....

"We didn't think about it 'cause that's not what we were about. I was trying to figure out how to beat Larry Bird." - Magic

"The Decision" may have COST LeBron...

By now we’re all beginning get an idea of what LeBron’s “Decision” has cost him. For all the opportunity he supposedly gained, he has lost just as much in terms of brand, likability, and public goodwill from NBA fans across the nation.

People have said LeBron gained an opportunity to win multiple Championships, which is funny because I thought he had that opportunity to do the same in Cleveland. Perhaps it will prove to have been harder to do in Cleveland than in Miami, but as LeBron himself said that fateful night “One thing you can’t control is you never know.”

For now, that opportunity is rooted in speculation until they prove that 3 great players (Wade, LeBron, Bosh) surrounded by a couple average players (Mario Chalmers, Mike Miller, and I suppose Udonis Haslem) and a whole bunch of below average players (everyone else on the team) can win a title.

Another opportunity he gained was the chance to play with his friends. Again, this is funny because I thought he had that in Cleveland. For the last couple years all of us in Cleveland have immensely enjoyed watching those Cavs teams interact together, and it was LeBron who was the ring leader of all that fun. It sure looked like a bunch of friends playing basketball together, anyway, but I guess now he gets to play with members of his “fam” like Udonis Haslem. Because, you know, it just wouldn’t have felt right to LeBron if Haslem “wasn’t apart (sic) of this”.

Maybe I’m just a jilted lover, but yes, I’m still bitter over The Decision…both the figurative one and the literal one. And with all due respect to ESPN, who continues to be the self-imposed moral authority of sports in telling us all that we’re wrong for being mad at LeBron for any of this, I’m going to instead process all of this at my own pace. I’ll move on when I’m good and ready, and I don’t ESPN’s help with this. I got it.

While I continue to ponder what LeBron’s senseless handling of the decision may or may not have cost him in PR and good will, not to mention what the literal Decision cost Cleveland and the Cavaliers, it never occurred to me all the other ways The Decision could be assigned cost.

That is, until I read a fascinating article in the Stamford Advocate which talks very specifically about the added cost LeBron incurred in order to carry out his silly little TV show. The Advocate’s Neil Vigdor writes....

Producers of the July 8 prime-time special hired 21 police officers to work security, each of them earning $60 an hour for an average of eight hours, according to Lt. Kraig Gray, who was in charge of the operation.

So who gets stuck with the bill of at least $10,000?

“I believe it was LeBron’s people,” Gray said.

Don’t look to ESPN.

“ESPN was not involved with the local police,” said Nate Smeltz, a spokesman for the Bristol-based sports entertainment giant.

Another two officers were called in to do security on an overtime basis, a cost that Gray said will come out of department’s budget and be borne by taxpayers. They also averaged about eight hours at the $60 rate, according to Gray, putting the cost at just less than $1,000.

That’s really only the “tip of the iceberg”, though. This was just for security at the Boys & Girls Club in Greenwich, where Vigdor says officers mostly had to stand there in the heat and listen to the irate (presumably) New York fans shout obscenities and vulgarities. Think of all the additional security required across NE Ohio that was required in the wake of this Decision.

Security was posted outside LeBron’s house in Bath Township, presumably paid for by LeBron. But who paid for the police officials who had to guard the poor LeBron mural in downtown Cleveland? Nike? LeBron? The Cavaliers? Then you consider the extra police presence that was extended throughout Cleveland as a precaution against any violence. And then there were the extra body guards LeBron had with him in Cleveland on that last day in Ohio.

It all begins to add up, and you just kind of wonder what that cost was and if it was really all worth this. Such drama, such pain, such anger and feelings of betrayal. Numerous NBA writers across the country have displayed an uneasy feeling toward LeBron James and the way this whole situation unfolded. Many fans are left feeling once more like the NBA pulled a fast one on them.

We knew when free agency started that LeBron’s Decision, whatever it might be, would send shock waves and reverberations throughout the league, but I never anticipated anything quite like what we saw. Most of what I’ve heard and read from ESPN (the unofficial LeBron James PR team) has said this is all overblown and will die down as soon as LeBron wins a Championship with his BFFs in Miami. They might be right. Heck, they probably are. People have short memories in this country and winning solves most problems in the NBA. For now, though, I continue to just marvel at the destruction of LeBron’s legacy in the present time and shake my head at how unnecessary all of this really was.

Magic ALSO hated Larry Bird's guts even BEFORE they came into the NBA. It was not until Larry Bird found out about Magic and his HIV did they start talking as men than as rivals.

Well, maybe that's what's wrong with today's player. In today's game, everyone's friends. Everyone hugs and kisses following games. Have we raised a generation of wimps?

Where's the fire? Where's that deep seeded rivalry? Players today need to man-up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts