BREAKING: LEBRON chooses Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is he any different than any other TOP athlete looking at a new contract and potential new team ?
Who else has an hour long special event to announce who they are signing with?

LeBron doesn't need an hour long special to give money to the Boys and Girls Club. He can easily give more money than this special will. The fact is he's doing it for his ego. He could put up a website with the announcement where all the proceeds go to charity. The fact is he's an egotistical jackass.

Who else has an hour long special event to announce who they are signing with?

LeBron doesn't need an hour long special to give money to the Boys and Girls Club. He can easily give more money than this special will. The fact is he's doing it for his ego. He could put up a website with the announcement where all the proceeds go to charity. The fact is he's an egotistical jackass.

Unless he signs with YOUR team. :D

I agree it's not needed, but.

Do we NEED an hour long selection show for the Heisman, NCAA selection commitee to name teams , NCAA Bowl selection day ?

NO WE DON'T.

This is just a new different way of doing things, I would imagine many more people will be doing the same type of thing very soon.

Can't wait for Kobe 's contract to come up. :D:D:D

Can't wait for Kobe 's contract to come up. :D:D:D
You'll have to wait a few years. He just signed an extension last April, without a lot of fanfare. :)

Kobe Bryant signed a three-year contract extension Friday worth nearly $90 million that will keep him with the Los Angeles Lakers through the 2013-14 season.

The deal will begin after next season. Bryant is making $23 million this season and is due to earn $24.8 million next season.

Los Angeles Lakers sign 'cornerstone' Kobe Bryant to three-year extension - ESPN Los Angeles

After this, ESPN faces its annual crisis. This only gave them a month's extension.

They have to actually start covering actual sports which are in-season, such as baseball. Sports which do not get regular season ratings measured with 1s and the very occasional 2.

Reason #54085 why the NBA is just so much hype, and almost no actual sport.

You'll have to wait a few years. He just signed an extension last April, without a lot of fanfare. :)

Los Angeles Lakers sign 'cornerstone' Kobe Bryant to three-year extension - ESPN Los Angeles

Had Kobe's contract been up in 2010, he would have been dong the same things.

Kobe KNEW all along that he was done before this, the NBA has made such a BIG deal about all these potential FA becoming available for SOOOO LONG now that they probably had something to do with this too :D

Everything you heard for the last 3 years is about HOW GREAT THIS DATE WOULD BE.

NOW IT'S HERE ......

Rumor watch

Just heard reported that Bosh will team up with Wade in Miami.

Does this mean LeBron is moving on now ?

I figured if Cleveland could bring in another star that LeBron would stay, but now that Bosh is moving to Miami, I would expect James to go elsewhere ..... Chicago ?

Just read on ESPNews bottomline that all proceeds from this special will go to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America at the request of LeBron....

That changes things

That all depends upon how they calculate "proceeds"

Well, I am a bit torn by this decision. A few thoughts...

1. Us Clevelanders have known for quite a while that LeBron has quite the flare for the dramatic. He absolutely loves attention. This is no surprise. It started in high school when his games were covered on ESPN, he was also on the cover of SI as a Junior (in HS) and he's loved the limelight ever since. LeBron is more than just an athlete, he's an entertainer. Everything he does, he puts a dramatic spin on it. (Have you ever seen him go down with an injury, acting like what he just suffered was career ending, only to pop back up and play like nothing was ever wrong? He does this every night). This whole free agency circus and the drama surrounding it is another example of the drama and attention seeker LeBron is.

2. All I have to say is that to me, LeBron has only one option with his decision he's to announce. If it's anything but him announcing he's staying in Cleveland, then there might be a riot in NE Ohio. I'm not sure the fans here will take too kindly to a 1 hour long special & slap in the face to the city. It would be a tremendous embarrassment. The national media and sports fans everywhere have had plenty of fun at the expense of Cleveland in the past. This would be yet another insult. Be very careful LeBron. You're bordering on Art Model, Satin and Hitler territory for people we despise the most....

3. This is a new world we live in. Media driven social networking and instant communication via these avenues is normal. We live in a world where reality shows are the biggest draw on TV. Sports they say is the biggest reality show. Perhaps this idea of LeBron milking his big decision is a genius marketing idea? It's never been done before and there's not a whole lot else going on right now in the sports world, so this news will be covered by everyone. Yesterday, LeBron also announced his very own Twitter page: @KingJames. In just a few short hours, he had 184,000 followers.

4. As Sabres said in post #2, at least we'll finally have a resolution to this whole circus come tomorrow at 10pm. Good, bad or indifferent, at least we'll have an answer. Until then folks, buckle up. These next 36 hours are going to be one wild ride of rampant speculation, hype and debauchery!

Had Kobe's contract been up in 2010, he would have been dong the same things.
Nice try because technically, it was up. From the same article:

The Lakers took Kobe Bryant off the market last week, signing their franchise player to a three-year extension on Friday. Bryant had the option to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and join players like LeBron James on the open market. Instead he chose to lock in with the Lakers through the 2013-14 season.

Kobe Bryant’s Contract Extension - Off the Dribble Blog - NYTimes.com

Apparently LeBron has kept this whole thing a secret even from his inner-circle. From the Cavs beat...

I'm told none of LeBron's suitors know his decision. It seems possible of all them could remain in dark leading up to tomorrow night.

Teams & even several people in James own camp were blindsided when hearing about ESPN show.

Now that the other star FA's have announced, doesn't this diminish the hour long special ?

I think LeBron was planning to stay if Bosh had come to Cleveland.
Now that, thats not happening, I think LeBron will leave.

Btw, No one has mentioned where this show will take place at, if it's IN Cleveland, he's staying.

its official, espeon has their noses so far up lbj's backside, it really isn't funny. hard for me to believe they have stooped to this all time low.

but as someone posted at espn.com, next thing ya know they will have cameras outside lbj's bathrooom to see what the size of his crap is. someone at the mother ship must have a huge gay crush on this tool!

Now that the other star FA's have announced, doesn't this diminish the hour long special ?

I think LeBron was planning to stay if Bosh had come to Cleveland.
Now that, thats not happening, I think LeBron will leave.

Btw, No one has mentioned where this show will take place at, if it's IN Cleveland, he's staying.

As of last night, he was still in Akron. I'm sure the media hounds will be hovering at the airport or outside his house to determine his location.

Status
Not open for further replies.