Bridgestone Invitational: Firestone Country Club

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
It's that time of year again folks. The PGA Tour is coming to Ohio!

Historically, the Bridgestone (formally the NEC), is a part of the World Golf Championship Series', which ranks as just a rung shy of the 4 Majors on the Tour. Players love the course since it's old school.

According to Tiger Woods who may know this course better than anyone else since he's won this tournament 6 of the last 9 times he's played...

"The golf course has stood the test of time, and year in and year out this is one of the hardest courses we play. But ever since I was a little boy, my dad and I would always play the older, tree-lined golf courses like this, not the elephant burial grounds. The guys on tour like these old-fashioned courses because we don't get a chance to play them that much anymore."

Firestone typically attracts all of the big names in golf. Phil Mickelson is making his triumphant return as Bridgestone will be his first Tournament since taking a leave of absence from the sport after the US Open to be with his cancer ridden wife and mother. This is also the final tuneup before the PGA Championship next week at Hazeltine National in Minnesota.

Tiger Woods is coming off of a victory the week before at the Buick Open in Warwick Hills, Michigan. Tiger missed last year's Bridgestone Invitational while recovering from knee surgery. Vijay Singh took advantage and won the 2008 Bridgestone by one stroke over Lee Westwood and Stuart Appleby.

TV: Thursday-Friday, Golf Channel, 2 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, WOIO Ch. 19, 2 p.m.

Oh, guess who has tickets to the final round on Sunday??? THIS GUY!!!! :eek: :D :cool:

Nice HD, have fun.

Next week for those of us with Directv they are showing several special channels of the PGA Tournament in HD and free. :D

Tiger wins #70 in Akron, Ohio!

Just got back from the final round of the Bridgestone. And what a round it was!

A few thoughts....

- Today was the hottest day of the summer. It was a sweltery 94ºF and humid as hell as it rained all day yesterday. I spent about $50 on bottled water throughout the day.

- Akron/Canton was very lively today. Not only did the city host the final round of the WGC Bridgestone, but they also play host to the Hall-of-Fame game tonight between the Bills and Titans.

- Firestone looked absolutely pristine. My favorite hole where I camped out at for a while was hole #16 (more on that later).

- More than anything, I love going to golf tournaments just to be apart of the amazing natural landscapes. There are fewer things in life that are more beautiful in nature than a well designed golf course on well maintained grounds.

- Throughout the day, I got to see at least one shot by just about every player within the top 10 groups. What amazing skill these players possess!

- The crowds that surround Tiger and the energy they produce is unreal. So much attention is focused on Tiger and the final group, it's no wonder why his opponents melt to the pressure. Tiger's used to it. The other guys aren't.

- Speaking of hole #16, it's nicknamed "The Monster" and is the courses signature hole. It's a 667 yard par 5. The players second shot must consider a stream on the right. There's bunkers protecting the left side of the green and a pond over the right side. The pin placement on Sunday was on the front right hand side of the green with the pond directly in front of it. (Now do you get the nickname?) At the time the final group approached, Padraig had a 1 stroke lead. Both players struggled off the tee and both just punched out of trouble for their 2nd shots. Then there was Tiger's 3nd shot: a 180 yard shot in which Tiger used an 8-iron to just go over the pond and land within 12" of the hole! The pin placement on this hole led to many players hitting it in the middle of the green or towards the back. For Tiger to have so much confidence in his 8-iron from that distance and to be able to get it over the pond and to land it that close to the hole?! WOW! It will surely be a shot added to the vast highlight reel by Mr. Woods.

- Following Tiger's miraculous shot on #16, Padraig had a melt down triple bogey. But could you blame him after witnessing that shot by his competitor? It was like a dagger in your competitive heart! How does one recover? Padraig never recovered and lost the tournament on that hole.

- With this win, it was Tiger's 70th win as a Professional. Tiger is now among 3 golfers to have won 70 or more. Jack Nicklaus (73) and Sam Sneed (82) both got their 70 wins after the age of 40. Tiger is 33. If he stays healthy, it's scary what this man can do to the golf record books!

- Since missing the cut at the British Open, Tiger seems to be on a mission after winning last week in Michigan and now this week in Akron. The PGA Championship in Minnesota is next week.

- Perhaps The Bridgestone Invitational should be renamed "The Tiger Woods Invitational". In the 11 years of the tournament's existence, Tiger has won 7 of them. And last year he was out while recovering from knee surgery.

Back in the 1970s, I remember reading that Jack Nicklaus's cumulative winnings on that course would be enough to make someone 60th on the all-time money list. As I recall, there was a Disney-sponsored tournament held there with a top prize of $100,000 when the comparable tournaments had a top prize of just $40,000.

PGA Tour to Fine Tiger for Criticism of Officials

CHASKA, Minn. -- Tiger Woods will be fined by the PGA Tour for his public criticism of a rules official after winning the Bridgestone Invitational, a tour official said Monday.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the tour does not publicize fines.

Woods was bothered after his four-shot victory Sunday because he and Padraig Harrington were put on the clock at the par-5 16th. He said that caused Harrington to rush three difficult shots, leading to triple bogey.

European Tour chief referee John Paramor told Woods and Harrington they were being timed.

Woods said he told Harrington after it was over, "I'm sorry that John got in the way of a great battle."

"I don't think that Paddy would have hit the pitch shot that way if he was able to take his time, look at it, analyze it," Woods said. "But he was on the clock, had to get up there quickly and hit it."

Harrington conceded he was rushed, although he said it would be unfair to give the final group preferential treatment.

Section VI-D in the PGA Tour's player handbook says, "It is an obligation of membership to refrain from comments to the news media that unreasonably attack or disparage tournaments, sponsors, fellow members, players or PGA Tour."

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=4390168"]PGA Tour to fine Tiger Woods for criticizing rules official - ESPN[/ame]

You know what? I think that's outstanding that Tiger is sticking up for Paddy. In what other sport would a player DEFEND his opponent and criticize officials who called a penalty against their competitor? And why is the last group being rushed anyways? I was at the tournament. They weren't "that" far off the pace. And there was no one behind them, so they didn't hold anyone up. If Paddy was forced to hurry up and it effected the outcome of that hole, it's a shame, like Tiger said.

Tiger and Paddy to be Paired together again at PGA Championship!

CHASKA, Minn. -- Tiger Woods and Padraig Harrington will play together the first rounds of the PGA Championship at Hazeltine, the second major this year they have been in the same group.

Woods and Harrington, who have combined to win five of the last nine majors, also played together at the U.S. Open. Joining them next week will be Rich Beem, who won the PGA Championship when it was last held at Hazeltine in 2002.

The PGA Championship, which starts Thursday, kept its traditional grouping of the year's three major champions -- Angel Cabrera (Masters), Lucas Glover (U.S. Open) and Stewart Cink (British Open).

Phil Mickelson will play with Paul Azinger and David Toms.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/pgachampionship09/news/story?id=4385030"]Tiger Woods, Padraig Harrington paired in major again for PGA Championship - ESPN[/ame]