Buying advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

volswagn

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
I'm trying to get my feet wet in HDTV and just bought a new Viewsonic HDTV on sale and have had DirecTV forever. I'm trying to minimize my investment at the moment (well, as much as possible). A couple months ago I bought my second Tivo, so I don't really want to go the DirecTV recorder in the near future.

All I'd like is an HD receiver that will allow me to get DirecTV HD and off-air local channels (I'm in NY metro area) to the television, while also allowing recording of SD shows through the Tivo. It isn't necessary for me to view one channel & record another on Tivo at the same time. Mostly I'd only use the HD capabilities of the new TV to watch live sports in realtime, or to watch the occasional Discovery or HBO movie in HD.

I also don't need the latest features.

I've seen the Toshiba DST3100 for sale around $250. Is there anything better out there for the price that would suit my needs? I don't mind buying off ebay either. Would I need to buy a machine with a card in it? Not sure how that works... DirecTV usually mailed me any updated cards. Do they do the same if you buy a used machine off ebay?

Thanks for any help...

I just posted to the classifieds - I am selling a H10 for $150. PM me if you are interested. This will give you what you are looking for. It will provide the HD and the OTA HD. This will also have the most up-to-date card, so basically all you would have to do is call D* to activate it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts