Call from V* about E*

My take on this is, if it is an official Dish promotion at work here, AND if client/contact lists did exchange hands between V* and E* on top of the rumored programming discussions and the known sat acquisition in progress...maybe, just MAYBE an official statement from either V* or E* as to a teaming of the companies for customer transition or the like would be nice, don't you think?

Voom has not sold any lists. However whenever you become a satellite subscriber, this information is easily obtained for marketing purposes. If you receive a call from a marketing company, just check with D* or E* to confirm the offer. Both companies would love your business, and both have good offers for VoOm customers. The decision lays on your part. Its all in what you want, research.... is the best decision.

Ty2083 said:
I just got a recorded call from Voom telling me that they have made arrangements with E* to switch service over to them and were telling me to call E* now to get some special offer. QUOTE]

I got it last night.

Well I just got the call. I called them back and Mr. Thompson was busy and they wanted to call me back.

When I talk to him I want to know:

1. How did they get my name?

2. Are they with Dish Network? (I know they are not)

3. What is their address?

4. Why did they call me if I am on the no-call list? (Both state and national)

5. I do not have an ongoing business relationship with Dish. Never ever subb'd them.

This call is going to cost them a little money. :D

1. From Voom.
2. (Edit you're right it's not dish network)
3. Voom gave them your number
4. Doesn't matter, see answer above.

BFG said:
1. From Voom.
2. Yes they are from dish.
3. Voom gave them your number
4. Doesn't matter, see answer above.
1. It was prolly installs inc. (CSR -ha ha- @VOOM said they didn't sell our names or provide them to any other companies

2. Not so sure....

4. Even if VOOM did sell them my number it is still a telemarketing cold call and they are obligated to compare to DNC list.

Nope, the DNC rules say that a company you have service from is exempt from the rules, meaning they're allowed to call you or sell the list to someone else so they can call you.

(edit it's not dish)

Slightly different twist here...no phone calls (I am on the DNC list and have never had a relationship with any other sat system), but I just received an undated letter, with no return address (postmarked from Sacramento, near my home) from "Voom Conversion Center". Since I'm not planning on going with anyone, I haven't been following the different offers.

I was curious enough to call the number to see who answered. The phone was answered "Channel Source", which has a website here http://www.channelsourcedirect.com/ They are apparently a national outsourcing outfit.

I didn't see Dish or Voom in their client list. I just hung up when they answered at the phone number, but here's the complete letter if anyone else is interested. Vicki

"We had hoped that the Voom service would continue into the future but as of today Voom has made the decision to end its service effective 4/30/2005 and sell its Satellite and uplink facility to Dishnetwork.

In an effort to insure uninterrupted programming service we reached an agreement with Dishnetwork to convert you at your request to Dish Network services before 4/30/2005.

The programs we have are:

Programming:
Subscribe to Top 60 at $31.99 per month and get Top 180 for FREE for the first 3 months.

6 months FREE of Dish Networks High Definition package.

Hardware:

You can get up to 4 receivers and installation FREE (requires 12 month commitment)

1. Up to 2 High Definition Receivers
2. Up to 2 of the receivers can be Digital Video Recorders (DVR)
3. Remaining receivers up to 4 total would be Standard Receivers

If you have any questions at all regarding this transition please call our local office at 800-540-9337 so we can get you scheduled as soon as possible and insure uninterrupted programming service.

We are here 8:00am-8:00pm Monday through Saturday and will make every effort to insure an easy transition.

800-540-9337
Thank You
VOOM Conversion Team!

BFG said:
Nope, the DNC rules say that a company you have service from is exempt from the rules, meaning they're allowed to call you or sell the list to someone else so they can call you.

And it was dish, because if it was someone else they'd give their number to call you back on and not dish's direct number
It is not Dish Network.

I just called back. They put me on hold. It is 'DISH TV' and they offer Dish, directv, and pegasus.

The receptionist told me that their web site is dishguys.com. The one guy I just talked to said several times when I asked if he was with Dish Network answered yes. When I asked him if he was actually with DISH TV because that is what I heard on hold he acknowledged that I was right. I then asked if they also install Directv and he said yes. So I said, "So you are not with dish network, you are an installation company!" He answered in the affirmative.

He also stated that VOOM gave them the calling list. When I asked who at VOOM gave them the list, he played the "I'm just an operator" routine. I asked to speak to a supervisor. Of course she had just left on an errand but will be back in about 30 minutes.

Oops, you're right I stand corrected.

The number at the end is not Dish's phone number

Which is 1-800-333-3474

the phone number on the end of that message is 1-800-684-3474, which is how I got confused, sorry about all of that.

Sounds very unprofessional. Has lots of "ums" and "aas" in the message. Usually Dish is a little more polished but I would not put it past them.

It is not Dish as stated.

Here is their website.

dishguys.com.

DISH TV

2002 RANKIN RD, Houston TX 77073 US
Telephone: 281-821-1994 or toll free at 1-800-4DISHTV (1-800-434-7488)

I really don't think VOOM sold it or gave it away. I think some unscrupulous installers ponied up their customer list.

BFG, we shall see about your theory on the validity of ongoing business concern when a company sells it's customer list. I lodged a complaint today with www.donotcall.gov after I verified that my number was indeed on the DNC list. :D It should cost them a couple of grand. I may even file a complaint with my state since I am on that DNC list too!!! :D

File a complaint against these guys...

I called them back... they're clearly not Dish Network because the guy was very quick to offer to sign me up for D* once I told him I was a prior Dish customer.

It's possible they are exempt from the Do Not Call Registry rules, but I seriously doubt it.

If enough people complain, the FTC will open an investigation. If you are on the DNC registry, it is very easy to file a complaint if you go to the ftc website at ftc(dot)gov (sorry! I can't post URLs yet)

Dan

I just received my pre-recorded phone call from that scumbag Bill Thompson. The BS detector immediately flashed red since he was blocking his phone number. My recorded message...er, excuse me...pre-recorded message was slightly different than the one posted on page 1 in that no toll-free phone numbers were provided. Instead, the caller said to "press 1 to order dish" or "press 2 to be added to the Do-Not-Call list". Hmmm. I am already in the Do-Not-call registry to why do I need to bother with these jokers. I'm too tired, but if someone can draft a quick complaint about Mr. Thompson and his company, we can all report them to the FTC.

riffjim4069 said:
I'm too tired, but if someone can draft a quick complaint about Mr. Thompson and his company, we can all report them to the FTC.
No draft required. A few clicks and a few keystrokes and it is done.

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

Left side. Second from the bottom. File Complaint.

All you need is your phone number, theirs, and the time of day you were called!!!! That is one .gov site that is worthwhile!!! :yes

Ronald_Jeremy said:
No draft required. A few clicks and a few keystrokes and it is done.

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

Left side. Second from the bottom. File Complaint.

All you need is your phone number, theirs, and the time of day you were called!!!! That is one .gov site that is worthwhile!!! :yes
I just filed a complaint. My call was curtious and wasn't pushy at all.... but it was a sales call and I am on the do not call registry.

Well I got the call also this afternoon. I haven't filed a complaint yet however since someone was so nice to provide a wave file of the telephone call, I conviently forwarded it to the upper management at Echostar. They are not very happy since the call makes people believe that Dish bought Voom

On positive note, Mr. Thompson has been doing very good. Several Former Voom customers looked up our number instead and called the Dishstore today and signed up for new service which goes back and supports this board :D

At any rate, do not call means do not call. If your going to file a complaint with the FCC, you might also want to send an email to CEO@echostar.com since its unlikely the Fcc is going to do anything about it. If Echostar gets enough complaints they will do something about it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts