Can I use Worldirect Dish + Switch for 97W?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Microyal

Apr 3, 2013
Oregon USA
I canceled my DirecTV, and saw that there are postings about using the Worldirect Dish with 97W. I was wondering if I could also use the Eagle Aspen switch that was used in the old setup so that I can use two separate FTA receivers (Viewsat LITE + VIewsat MAX HD) . That oval shaped LNB has a single output, but its going to the switch. I remember the DirecTV tech said, I can have up to 8 receivers, but of course he was talking about DTV receivers. Here are the pictures of the switch and LNB..

Also, anyone know the skew for Portland, Oregon to get 97W on this dish?? I figure Im gonna have to wait till its dry (that could take months :D) and go up to the roof with a lil LCD panel, and receiver to catch the signal, as my Birdog broke, to find the signal, but if anyone can expedite this for me by giving me the skew,that would be great! thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG0024.jpg
    IMAG0024.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 245
  • IMAG0026.jpg
    IMAG0026.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 257
Nope. Sorry. Have to use a dual output FTA LNBF. One output is H[to 18v], other is V[to 13v], on the mulitswitch. GEOSATpro SL2 or equivalent. Then as many receivers that the switch will provide outputs to. (2-4-8?) See the sticky Switches Simplified (or something to that) in the FAQ's
:welcome To the forum

Skew, and aiming, www.dishpointer.com

The dish: yes
The LNB: yes
The switch: we'll... no, not really.

On WorldDirect service, I believe they use only one polarity on that LNB (but both polarities on the circular LNBF, and notice it has two outputs).
To watch 97, you'll want access to both V & H polarity on each receiver.

There are several solutions... Here are two I'd consider:
- replace LNB with Dish Network FSS LNB; use high frequency, power passing splitter to feed each receiver.
- replace LNB with Dish Network FSS LNB; use DishNet DP34 to feed your receivers.

Wont go into the details and background right now.

I have a dual output LNB

I actually have a dual output LNB, so can I use it with this switch I have? Also, the LNB on the WorldDirect dish is egg shaped...and my dual output LNB isnt....will that make a difference? thanks everyone for helping me on this.......

Douh!, I am corrected. Brain fart moment. Dis-regard my previous post and accept my apologies.
I't'll work fine for ONE receiver. Two or more requires more.
Here's the spec sheet for your LNBF: http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=26571&d=1215667988
courtesy of ?? (found via google)
Being a single output, multiple receivers will be 'locked' onto one, or the other, polarity with existing LNBF.
SL2 and a conduit hanger mount for it, and the existing multiswitch seems the simplest solution (to me) for a multi receiver set up. (maybe I'm 'hung up' on the K.I.S.S. principle?) BICBWrong
Anole's will most likely work better because the feedhorns match better to the dish. (Elliptical)
My elliptical worked better when using the proper feed. But there I needed DVB-S2 reception.
IIRR, it worked pretty well on 97 with a 'round' feed LNBF, as almost all are DVB-S. But my elliptical may be a bit larger. Oh, the variables(???) 'n choices. I've not 'played' with a world direct dish, so I may be 'way off the mark' so be warned.
Have a great day!

Would there be another (dual-output) LNB that would fit the oval feed? They're held together with four screws, so could someone conceivably swap LNB's but keep the feed?

anole mentioned the stacked LNB's (they stack the H side higher than the V side)....so one output can run more than one reciever

The World dish LNB as designed for Directv is to only pick up the Horizontal transponders....but it will work fine for one receiver as noted

info for Portland
elevation 31
azimuth 130
skew -23.1 clockwise (if standing in front of dish facing it) But since the whole dish can skew stand behind the dish and turn it (visualize a steering wheel) like making a left hand turn. There are skew markings on the back of the dish

The World dish LNB as designed for Directv is to only pick up the Horizontal transponders....but it will work fine for one receiver as noted

info for Portland
elevation 31
azimuth 130
skew -23.1 clockwise (if standing in front of dish facing it) But since the whole dish can skew stand behind the dish and turn it (visualize a steering wheel) like making a left hand turn. There are skew markings on the back of the dish

Iceberg...is that the info for getting 97W with the oval shaped Worldirect Dish?

Fat Air had better LNB solution

... Two or more {receivers} requires more.
Here's the spec sheet for your LNBF: http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=26571&d=1215667988
... And the P270ku LNB listed there is just what the doctor ordered! :)
It's available at Impakt Products:
http://impaktproducts.com/Eagle-Aspen-270-Ku-Band-Dual-Output-Linear-LNBF-ON-SALE-p-16619.html
And, yes, you can use your multiswitch with this LNB to feed two receivers. ;)

That other LNBF you have on the dish, is circular polarity, and not useful for FTA.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...bfs-for-95w-and-101w-(dtv66e)&sku=02057204101

They're held together with four screws, so could someone conceivably swap LNB's but keep the feed?

Yes... To clarify, that is a C-120 flange on the feedhorn. The same flange interface is used on the Dish FSS stacked LNBs found on Superdishes, on most (all?) LNBs used by Primestar, and many others. It is a common flange, and many LNBs will fit to it, allowing the use of the original feedhorn.

Yes... To clarify, that is a C-120 flange on the feedhorn. The same flange interface is used on the Dish FSS stacked LNBs found on Superdishes, on most (all?) LNBs used by Primestar, and many others. It is a common flange, and many LNBs will fit to it, allowing the use of the original feedhorn.

this is great news indeed. Looks like all I have to do it remove the LNB's on the Worlddirect dish and replace them with my own that I finally dug out of storage. This LNB should work yeah?

oORKUXo.jpg

That is a LNBF (LNB with built-on Feedhorn), which will work electronically but will not interface to the original feedhorn.

To use that LNBF, you'll need to fabricate a holder and remove the original feedhorn.

You would need a C-120 flanged LNB to keep the original feedhorn.

That is a LNBF (LNB with built-on Feedhorn), which will work electronically but will not interface to the original feedhorn.

To use that LNBF, you'll need to fabricate a holder and remove the original feedhorn.

You would need a C-120 flanged LNB to keep the original feedhorn.

ohh man.. i think i see what you mean...I tried to put my LNB on that bracket, and the neck was too big...it wouldnt fit..(see pic)........so what now?
fWkc4ra.png

It would be best to attach a dual polarity LNB, but in absence of the tool that fits... You might just find a 23mm throat underneath all of that plastic case... :cool:

Many LNBFs have a 23mm neck as part of the feedhorn casting. You won't have that beautiful plasic case, but worth checking.

I'd try to keep the original feedhorn and find a C-120-flanged LNB out there. They're not that hard to find, as the Superdish used them. The Superdish FSS LNB is the one you would want, although bear in mind that it is bandstacked, and you would want to use a receiver with the ability to correctly scan bandstacked frequencies.

There are also other, non-bandstacked LNBs that will interface to a C-120 flange. Hughes makes a good one, and these can often be found cheap on FleaBay... Here is one with a feedhorn bolted onto it. You'd just unscrew the four screws, remove the feedhorn that comes with it, and bolt it onto your feedhorn. Be careful not to lose the weather-protecting O-ring that sits between the flanges.

Last edited:
one thing after another with this project

okay--so I tried to use my dual port LNB on that Directv bracket--no go. So, I found a 33" dish on CL for $5.00, and got it. Well, come to install it and BAM! the mast was too big on the DTV dish, so basically Im going to have to install another dish. ON top of that, my parents want to have DirecTV also, so now heres a question for you experts: How to make FTA and DirecTV work on the same cable or is it possible? Im sure there are switches involved, but what kind.

Also, which Directv dish do any of you recommend for accommodating some HD channels, (TravelHD and FoodHD to be exact). I know theres all kind ranging from the oval shaped one to the Slimline edition to this to that.

okay--so I tried to use my dual port LNB on that Directv bracket--no go.
Numerous excelent solutions were provided above!
(can only lead a horse to water...)

So, I found a 33" dish on CL for $5.00, and got it. Well, come to install it and BAM! the mast was too big on the DTV dish, so basically Im going to have to install another dish.
That was a pretty good idea and deal.
Shame you didn't install dish and be done with it.

ON top of that, my parents want to have DirecTV also, so now heres a question for you experts: How to make FTA and DirecTV work on the same cable or is it possible? Im sure there are switches involved, but what kind.
As harshness stated above, that's not happening.

Also, which Directv dish do any of you recommend for accommodating some HD channels, (TravelHD and FoodHD to be exact). I know theres all kind ranging from the oval shaped one to the Slimline edition to this to that.
Isn't HD on their Ka satellites?
That would limit your dishes.
Plus, proper alignment on Ka is pretty tricky.
Not something for a beginner.
I'd let DirecTV select, supply, install, and align the proper dish.
And don't let them touch any of your existing dishes, cables, nor mounts.
Those are all yours, not property of Direct, so if installer argues, throw him out!

Status
Please reply by conversation.