Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Well after 8 years my old computer died :(

So I got a new one today. And I noticed on it there are 8 USB ports but NO 9 pin connector for my cable so I can download software from the computer to the FTA box.

Now some have USB ports but where the heck can you get a USB to a 9 pin connector?

I tried Ripoff Shack and after the guy said "huh?" when I asked him I found one...for $40 :eek: (6 foot cable with gold ends)

How do most of you download the software to a box with no USB option? And where can I get a USB-9pin connector?

(oh by the way the new computer is waaaaaaaaaaaay faster. Oh yeah I went from 128MB RAM on old one to 1GB on new...maybe thats why ;)

I just went and got my receipt, and it's called "GIGA 6' USB TO SERIAL CAB" on the receipt. It has a DB9 on the other end. Found the package and it says Gigaware 6' USB-A to Serial Cable... It's a male, so you may need an Adapter?

Who is the manufacture and what is the model of your new computer? I suspect the motherboard has a 9-pin slot inside, if there isn't a serial port next to your VGA port. I can mail you a 9-pin serial port (like the one previously mentioned for $6.60). I've got a few of these scattered around my home office collecting dust. Let me know if you happen to need one.

surprisingly cheap

I just checked MonoPrice, and found this for $6. Looks like it'll do the job.
You can do a search on their site for other models.

Geeks also has a few models. This one is also $6.
Wow, another big surprise! ;)

That's about half or a third the price I expected.
On the other hand, if your motherboard really does have a header for a serial port, and you can get the PROPER cable, that would be my favorite solution.

I have an old Toshiba laptop with an AMD k6-2 500 mhz with 96 MB of ram running Win 2K that I mainly use for loading channel lists and software to my Traxis.

Who is the manufacture and what is the model of your new computer? I suspect the motherboard has a 9-pin slot inside, if there isn't a serial port next to your VGA port. I can mail you a 9-pin serial port (like the one previously mentioned for $6.60). I've got a few of these scattered around my home office collecting dust. Let me know if you happen to need one.

Ice, check your PM.

I have an old Toshiba laptop with an AMD k6-2 500 mhz with 96 MB of ram running Win 2K that I mainly use for loading channel lists and software to my Traxis.

that might be the best idea. The old computer still works but its slow as dirt. Dont need much power to update software or get a channel list for CM :)

if your new pc has an available pci slot, that is the best option. Purchase a good serial 16550 controller card and be done.

PacificGeek.com - SERIAL PCI DUAL 16550 9 PIN SIIG 16550

usb adapters are hit and miss.
A good card allows for the standard com1/com2 3f8/2f8 port configurations that most applications are designed for. most wont see usb001, etc...

Last edited:
if your new pc has an available pci slot, that is the best option.
Purchase a good serial 16550 controller card and be done.
Oh, I absolutely endorse this idea! - :up
The one listed by Empiretc is an A+.

Here's one at Geeks .
It's probably an A, and is likely just fine.

well I broke down and bought the one that voomvoom mentioned from Radio Shack. They had it on sale/clearance for under 20 bucks so I figured what the heck and bought it.

With Coolsat coming out with updated firmware for the 8000 and wanting to start utilizing channelmaster again I guess I had to get it.

well I broke down and bought the one that voomvoom mentioned from Radio Shack. They had it on sale/clearance for under 20 bucks so I figured what the heck and bought it.

With Coolsat coming out with updated firmware for the 8000 and wanting to start utilizing channelmaster again I guess I had to get it.

You went from Aug to Feb without a serial port! I thought that I had a hard time making up my mind. :)
I guess I missed the earlier messages in the thread. Sorry to see that you have Vista, that is likely to cause a headache. Until there is no alternative, that isn't coming near one of my computers.

But back to the USB-Serial converters, I have 2 or 3 of the things, one VERY old, possibly before XP came out, and I also have a newer one (about 2 years old) that I got at Radio Shack, so it might be the same one you have. Both can be made to work with anything, however the OLD one is MUCH better, and you can get them much cheaper, although I don't know if Vista would play well with it.
The old one (I forget the brand name, but I've seen them sold under a couple different brand names, and all that is printed on the device itself is Model # UC232A, but I can look up the brand later), doesn't try to be "smart" with windows. You just plug it in, and it works. The newer RS one, however, apparently has drivers that tries to interact with Windows more, and at first I had a hard time getting it to work with some software.
I can't remember all the issues, however one issue was that I think the RS drivers refused to use the lower number serial ports, ie 1-4, and some of the older software will not work with port numbers above 4. The RS converter could be manually configured to low port numbers, but it put up a fight, and when I did that, it wouldn't work on either port.
Also, even though most programs generally have the capability of changing the port parameters, often this doesn't work smoothly with some of these USB-Serial converters, and I've had to go into the control panel and first change the parameters to match those used by the software I was going to run. This SHOULDN'T be necessary, but I've seen several cases where the software wouldn't run until I did this.
Also the newer versions of Windows (this was true for XP too) seemed to try to recognize what was connected to the serial ports, and usually got it wrong, and again, my OLD converter seemed to work better, I think because with IT, Windows didn't have a clue with respect to what was connected, which is desirable.
Another thing, I've used, but had lots of problems with these USB Hub things, which turn a single USB port into multiple USB ports. The problem, when it came to serial converters, is that I'd plug the converter into one port, and it would work. Then I'd pull the USB converter out, and weeks later, I'd plug it in again, but into another port on the HUB, and it would tell me that the port number I was using with the software was already in use, ie it was reserved by Windows as being for the device when it was in the other port, so I'd have to choose a different port number on the software and converter. Before I realized what was happening, I had used up all the port numbers. I never have this problem when using the regular on board ports, only with the external hub.
Anyway, all these "problems" are just annoyances, and you can get it working with anything, but the newer the converter, and the newer the OS, and the use of HUBs make it more annoying. If you install the thing, and use it on the same port, with the same port numbers each time, you probably won't have a problem. I use my RS converter only with one program I wrote myself, because it was harder to set up, but my OLD converter, I use with a dozen different programs, and have no problems with it. With computers, OLD is often better.

EDIT: BTW, I just looked for the disk that came with my OLD USB-Serial converter, and it is an "IOGEAR" , although the drivers installed under the name "ATEN". Anyway, I recommend that one as being less troublesome, at least with Win98, Win2K, and Win-XP. I still see them sold, and they are usually cheap, compared to the RS one.

Last edited:
You went from Aug to Feb without a serial port! I thought that I had a hard time making up my mind. :)

never really needed it before because
-Coolsat 8000 hadnt come out with a new factory software in months but now has had 3 upgrades
-Havent obtained any new receivers that needed software updates
-been using the Visionsat a little more and that has a USB slot :)

but I saw it yesterday when I was at a small town radio shack and got some good deals on stuff. Figured it was on sale or clearance so might as well get it. Picked up some s-video/audio gold cables that werent even in their system anymore. So cant go wrong with getting 4 6 foot gold audio/s-video cable for 97 cents each :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bird nest in my mount

Noob Setup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)