CE's for Labor Day Weekend

Seriously? LOL
yeah. too many folks who don't ever download these ce beta programs are now trying to do so and i get it why that would be an issue. it will cause a situation where people start having issues with the beta software and begin calling directv over it.

I know there's some sensitivity here when it comes to talking about DBSTalk, but to be honest, the rules they have that CE should be limited to the CE forums make perfect sense to me. Consider what Engadget did today: they said in their article that if you are in the test group, restart and hit 0,2,4,6,8. That's it. They didn't add anything else to the article, explaining that test software is only available for download during limited windows, that test software could be unstable and cause you to lose recordings or other settings, that DIRECTV customer service doesn't officially support anything other than the national software, etc.

The thread in the main forum here indicated that one person already did 02468 and just got the national software. How many folks who read Engadget also tried it? How many of them called up DIRECTV to ask about it? How many of the Engadget readers will look for information on the download windows, find it, install the CE software just to get the GUI, and then be upset that something went wrong and call DIRECTV customer service because they don't understand what they are doing?

As you state, word will get out, but the rules meant to contain the discussion of CE to those who understand what test software is, who understand what testing is about, well ... I think that's actually a good idea. I think of it this way: I may tell my 74 year old mother that HD GUI is coming, but I'm not going to drive to her house before a CE window and install test software on her receivers, and I'm not going to tell her how to download it, knowing full well something could go wrong after I leave. I know my mother, I love my mother, but she's not someone who can handle technical problems and I think there are more DIRECTV customers like her than there are like the CE testers...

Aren't we IN the CE forum ?
Maybe I didn't see the whole article, but I didn't see anything in it that talked about potential issues and to NOT call D*.

yeah. too many folks who don't ever download these ce beta programs are now trying to do so and i get it why that would be an issue. it will cause a situation where people start having issues with the beta software and begin calling directv over it.

Hmm, now that that info is out there, I wonder if well ever get the new GUI for the rest of us.

Word is always going to get it out... it is a PUBLIC BETA TEST, there are no NDA's... just rules made up by one website.

It's is a Public test yes, but doesn't mean to blab it out to ever damn gadget blog because you trying to get in with Engadget. This little Satguys vs DBStalk crap is childish

I know there's some sensitivity here when it comes to talking about DBSTalk, but to be honest, the rules they have that CE should be limited to the CE forums make perfect sense to me. Consider what Engadget did today: they said in their article that if you are in the test group, restart and hit 0,2,4,6,8. That's it. They didn't add anything else to the article, explaining that test software is only available for download during limited windows, that test software could be unstable and cause you to lose recordings or other settings, that DIRECTV customer service doesn't officially support anything other than the national software, etc.

The thread in the main forum here indicated that one person already did 02468 and just got the national software. How many folks who read Engadget also tried it? How many of them called up DIRECTV to ask about it? How many of the Engadget readers will look for information on the download windows, find it, install the CE software just to get the GUI, and then be upset that something went wrong and call DIRECTV customer service because they don't understand what they are doing?

As you state, word will get out, but the rules meant to contain the discussion of CE to those who understand what test software is, who understand what testing is about, well ... I think that's actually a good idea. I think of it this way: I may tell my 74 year old mother that HD GUI is coming, but I'm not going to drive to her house before a CE window and install test software on her receivers, and I'm not going to tell her how to download it, knowing full well something could go wrong after I leave. I know my mother, I love my mother, but she's not someone who can handle technical problems and I think there are more DIRECTV customers like her than there are like the CE testers...

This!

It's is a Public test yes, but doesn't mean to blab it out to ever damn gadget blog because you trying to get in with Engadget. This little Satguys vs DBStalk crap is childish

Are you saying that Scott or some other Satguys member told Engadget about it? According to the article, his source is DBSTalk.

Aren't we IN the CE forum ?
Scott was correctly stating that new features in test software will essentially be public knowledge due to the open nature of the testing. In his reply he commented on the rule at DBSTalk about limiting disclosure of CE information, so I picked up on that stating that I agree with the rule. Yes, WE are in a CE forum, but the Engadget article was not.
Maybe I didn't see the whole article, but I didn't see anything in it that talked about potential issues and to NOT call D*.
And that's exactly what's wrong with the Engadget article, which I pointed out earlier: they do NOT cover the potential pitfalls of using test software. Instead, they dangle very luring bait out there about the HD GUI with no thought to what the person who tries to download the software could encounter.,

I like it so far.

Few things seem to be missing in this build...
YouTube
MediaShare
iPad app Playlist does not fire up recorded programming, but other controls appear to work

Thought someone said they had MediaShare working, but I couldn't find it anywhere. (HR24-200)

The iPad playlist control not working is a known issue and an updated iPad app is coming soon

It's a great start. This CE is creating a lot of BUZZ on the internet and that's nothing but positive for DirecTV. Who else has proof of such a slick looking HD GUI? Ok a small town in Georgia has some Comcast "Spectrum" HD Guide. Some FIOS users have IMG 1.9. But this is national and from a big name in TV. Kudo's to them and now some of the DirecTV naysayers can eat crow.

I could post pictures but I dunno what the legality or consequences of doing so would be. I mean we didn't sign NDA's. It was put out on the public airwaves - not directed to specific RID's. They've been working on it for awhile now and they waited this long to reveal it in public beta, so that delay must of been on purpose. All this does for DirecTV is create buzz and excitement for the upcoming product and renews great interest in the DirecTV brand. It's nothing but a positive move to show more pictures and videos of this, along with proper disclaimers that it is a beta. From what I heard it will be release to public in a month or two anyway.

DirecTV has just 10 fold whooped Cable's ass.
I cant find them either on my hr 24-200 either :) hope they fix it :)

Hmm, now that that info is out there, I wonder if well ever get the new GUI for the rest of us.

Yup its normal for them to cancel the Saturday night run after a big new feature comes out. The same thing happened when they launched MRV and VOD.

The info will always be out there as its a PUBLIC BETA TEST.

I agree with you 100% here. I know many people tried 0 2 4 6 8 today and got just the national release, they had no idea that there was a CE window. And I also know many people called DIRECTV seeking help on it.

If I were Richard I WOULD HAVE DEFINATELY mentioned the new UI, but would not have told them how to download it, especially since the info was incomplete.

Again I agree. But some of these folks are acting like the big secret has been unleashed. Its a PUBLIC BETA if someone at DIRECTV or even DBSTalk didn't think that the word was going to get out then I think they are stupider then I thought. (I am sorry... That didn't come out correctly.... I dont know how to rephrase it to sound better and I am not meaning to call anyone stupid... just having writers block at the moment... again sorry.)

I think that the reason the word is getting out is because this new UI is so damn exciting and its something most of us have waited for years to see. I think it looks great and DIRECTV did a great job on the new interface! And the speed is amazing!

I think folks have a reason to be excited!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)