Channel Master 1,2m issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
And this is my Channel Master 1,2m Frankensteined to Gregory-type :shh
IMG_20150818_184315 (Custom).jpg IMG_20150818_185103 (Custom).jpg

Results with this modification are better than in CM1,2m original setup. How much better.... perhaps up to 10%. Working area of the SUB is 239mm (horizontal) and 145mm (vertical).

Doesn't the feed shadow a significant amount of the reflector from the sub-reflector? The feed would appear to block 20%+ of the reflector surface.

Wouldn't it make more sense to design the sub-reflector to focus to the feed positioned below the reflector illumination angle?

C-band beeld 40E 001.jpg
Doesn't the feed shadow a significant amount of the reflector from the sub-reflector? The feed would appear to block 20%+ of the reflector surface.

Wouldn't it make more sense to design the sub-reflector to focus to the feed positioned below the reflector illumination angle?
That crossed my mind some years ago to , but I never tried it .
I think it be worse , just like bringing the lnb in a much lower position on a offset dish .
I once tried to receive C-band on a original Fibo gregorian dish with conical scalaring (TRF) ( 160 mm dia ) in front of that subreflector .
Got the same signal with or without the TRF but it workt .
Later I used a reduced ( 90 mm dia ) scalaring , same dia as the original Fibo Ku feedhorn , with a little signal progress .
I still use that C lnb at my 6 lnb revolver .
6 position lnb changer.jpg

That is the beauty of offset Gregorian antenna design- feed cannot block any main mirror of subreflector surface. Attached picture explains that (I hope). IMG_20150730_104126%20(Custom).jpg

I hadn't considered the placement of the sub was beyond the convergence point
Right, Gregory type sub (ellipse) is located after Focal point of the main mirror. Cassegrain reflector (hyperbola) is located in front of the Focal point.
Do you form your own sub reflectors or are they repurposed?
I was thinking about that a lot. It is possible to calculate it's shape, but, unfortunately not so easy to make/reproduce it. So I am using subs from dishes made many years ago, it is still possible to buy them (not easy, but possible).

Reactions: a33 and Titanium
@ Rima , I assume you draw lines from top and bottum rim of the CM to the oposit rims of the subreflector , but are they realy the reflection of the incomming signal ?
I once made a drawing of my 120 Fibo pointed to 4.8ºE (elev 30.7º) reflected the lines of the incomming signal .
Shows a complete other picture . focus lijnen.jpg

Reactions: Titanium
Main reflector of the Gregory dish is nothing but simple offset dish and it has one single focal point. I do not clearly see that focal point on your drawing.

Some people like multifeeds ( I am not one of them :bday ), but, anyway, knowing that those great Channel Master dishes are not very good for multifeeds, decided to make one. Made a new bottom-feedarm and extended little bit side-arms. Now, multifeeds are more possible. That does not mean I will be using this dish with multifeed..... did it for research purposes :hatsoff

Attachments

• IMG_20160823_155914.jpg
    IMG_20160823_155914.jpg
    626.6 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_20160823_155925.jpg
    IMG_20160823_155925.jpg
    576.3 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_20160823_155900 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20160823_155900 (Custom).jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_20160823_193333.jpg
    IMG_20160823_193333.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 356
danristheman I will not be using multifeeds on CM dishes, at least in the nearest future. Created this just for experiment and for other users to have an idea how that could be done. There are couple of more pictures- working multifeed for 4,8*E-13*E-19,2*E. Main issue when making multifeeds on CM dish is the fact that feedarms are to close to each other and not allowing to place additional LNBs. But if LNB is added than feedarm is blocking part of the signal.

Attachments

• IMG_20160824_110445 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20160824_110445 (Custom).jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_20160824_110529 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20160824_110529 (Custom).jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 287
Was thinking of doing that with my 1.2m channel master. Transferring the weight load to the two bearings would make quite a difference to the stress on the positioner. Trick is getting the offset angle exact... Nicely done so far!

Reactions: Titanium
Main idea of this design is that turning axis goes through center of gravity (big red dot on the drawing). That means that antenna will go out of end-positions without any difficulties. I do not see offset angle trick, as mount has 2 turnbuckles for elevation and also declination adjustment (circled yellow). IMG_20170123_205519 (Custom).jpg

I am finishing with the USALS mount for Channel Master 1,2m. Need to wait till the good weather to go outside and install it. Mount allows to move antenna H-H depending on the motor used. My motor only able to go 160*, which is more then enough for my Lat to still have H-H. IMG_20170128_223602 (Custom).jpg IMG_20170128_223827 (Custom).jpg And VIDEO.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 11)