Channels on TCI Hits (Galaxy 7 Ku-band) in the late 1990s

JosephHolloway1998

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Porter Ranch, CA
Along with carrying Game Show Network, Golf Channel, Ovation - The Arts Channel, International Channel, ESPNews, ESPN's Classic Sports Network, Outdoor Life Network, HGTV, Nostalgia Good TV, Kaleidoscope, Fit TV, The Box music channel (MTV Alternative), the HBO/Cinemax (HBO 2 (renamed HBO Plus in October 1998), HBO 3 (renamed HBO Signature on Sept. 30, 1998), HBO Family, MoreMax (formerly Cinemax 2), ActionMax (formerly Cinemax 3), ThrillerMax), Showtime/The Movie Channel (Showtime 2, Showtime 3 (renamed Showcase in 2001), Showtime Extreme, The Movie Channel 2), Starz!/Encore (Starz!2 (renamed Starz! Theater in 1999), BET Movies Starz! 3, Encore Mystery, Action, Love Stories, Westerns and WAM!) multiplex channels and Encore's MoviePlex channel (which wasn't carried on DirecTV or Primestar either). As well as newer channels that were eligible (or too small) for C-Band carriage such as CBS Eye on People (renamed Discovery People in 1999), BBC America, Disney Channel's "Toon Disney" (renamed Disney XD in Feb. 2009) and the Discovery Digital Networks (Kids, Science, Civilization, Home & Leisure Channel (formerly Travel & Living Network), Wings and Health launched in July 1998). I wonder what other channels TCI Hits (X7) carried in the late 90s?, judging by this: SATCO DX Chart: Galaxy 7 at 91,0°W

I was one of the first paying customers of the service when they first started testing digital cable here in Connecticut.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Yes, but the analog channels were mostly C-Band-ish? (except for the local channels in which you need TV antenna to view them, before the SHIVA Act of 1999 took effect)

TCI Hits also carried new channels (in '98) such as ZDTV which was only on C-Band (Galaxy 4, transponder 12 with a backup transponder on Satcom C4, transponder 12), Las Vegas, Detroit cable systems and in parts of Georgia (near Atlanta) and Maine, Lifetime Movie Network, CNN/SI, WeatherScan and America's Health Channel.

Reactions: k.r.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)