Chaparral feedhorn cup diameter?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

delta_charlie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi all, I need to try and make a feedhorn cup alignment tool for my Chaparral feedhorn.

Anybody have one in easy reach for a quick measurement?

I need the OD of the center ring.

feedhorn_dia.jpg

Thanks, DC

Hi all, I need to try and make a feedhorn cup alignment tool for my Chaparral feedhorn.

Thanks, DC

I have tried to make up at least 3 different laser devices to use in centering the feed-horn on dishes, and the last one worked pretty well, but were flimsy at best.

I finally broke down and bought a 3 laser line level at Lowes. It works the best, and can be used on more than just the Chaparral feed-horns.

Just turn it on and lay it flat across the mouth of the feed-horn, and BAM, the laser leads the way. :)

I finally broke down and bought a 3 laser line level at Lowes. It works the best, and can be used on more than just the Chaparral feed-horns.

fred
Do you have a picture of it or a link thanks ..... I also have several laser devices and tried to make an alignment tool my only problem is one of the devices has a button that needs to be pressed so holding it and pressing button takes two hands. i need to modify to where its magnetic and will hold itself in place.

I have an el-cheapo (but accurate) laser level I bought at Big Lots for like $5 I think.
I use it with a combination square across the feedhorn to center mine.
I just tape it to the square to get the perpendicular angle... not much to it...
It does require one hand to hold it, so that's a drawback - but it's hard to beat the price!

I have an el-cheapo (but accurate) laser level I bought at Big Lots for like $5 I think.
I use it with a combination square across the feedhorn to center mine.
I just tape it to the square to get the perpendicular angle... not much to it...
It does require one hand to hold it, so that's a drawback - but it's hard to beat the price!

I did pretty much what you are doing for about a year, but my duct tape that was holding it together was getting worn, and I thought it was time for a change. :)

feedhorn_dia.jpg

Thanks, DC

I use a hockey puck cut down on a lathe to fit the inside of the scaler ring, careful though I have non Chaparral Lnb's and there diameter is different, not a standard inside measurement, with a 1/4 inch center hole drilled in puck on the lathe as well and a straight fiberglass tent pole section to find the dish center. The small lip on the hockey puck is to make sure of the proper alignment. See pictures. The puck was turned on a wood lathe with wood tools and finished with a large file for a perfect fit. For your non removable scaler ring just reverse the puck on the tent pole, it's also hollow to use a string for deeper dishes. May not work on a Chapparal ku corotor, but on a scaler ring no problem

Attachments

• PB160554.JPG
    PB160554.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 144
  • PB160555.JPG
    PB160555.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 168
  • PB160556.JPG
    PB160556.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 179
  • PB160557.JPG
    PB160557.JPG