CHICAGO METRO AREA VOOM

I lost my signal on Saturday night. I also can not get FOX and WGN ota. I use to get them but not anymore. Also yesterday my stb froze about 5 times in 20 min. Did anybody else get this.

omard. said:
I lost my signal on Saturday night. I also can not get FOX and WGN ota. I use to get them but not anymore. Also yesterday my stb froze about 5 times in 20 min. Did anybody else get this.

My Fox and WGN signals seem to be fine. My STB did freeze a few times during the storms, but not when it was clear out.

Im in northern IL area as well. Chain-O-Lakes valley/area just off of RT59 and Rt132 (Grand Ave). I am having mine installed on 6/10/04 and I am worried about the reception of the OTA antenna as well as the dish. I will post back with my findings and comparison to Dtv service.

Runkster said:
Im in northern IL area as well. Chain-O-Lakes valley/area just off of RT59 and Rt132 (Grand Ave). I am having mine installed on 6/10/04 and I am worried about the reception of the OTA antenna as well as the dish. I will post back with my findings and comparison to Dtv service.

Welcome. I hope they have your equipment. Better give Adant a call. Good luck with CBS, it's a craps shoot unless you put up a huge antenna on the roof. The other OTA channels should be fine.

Any other new Chicago area Voomers here?

I am in Evanston area and WGN signal has been bad for over a week all other OTAs are fine, anyone else having trouble with their signal quality. I can't watch it because it is so bad.

slyscooter said:
I am in Evanston area and WGN signal has been bad for over a week all other OTAs are fine, anyone else having trouble with their signal quality. I can't watch it because it is so bad.
I'm near Midway Airport. WGN digital is comming in great at my location.

Here in Rogers Park I get WGN great...never seen an outage. Even this morn. got a heavy poor out here.

"Brady Bunch Music"

Here's a story, of an install gone crazy... It only took 3 days.... When the install was done, he ran out... I was not much fun!

Ok, So I live frickin 3.2 miles from the loop. Montrose and Lake Shore Drive. I am in a 6 flat so we pretty much have a clear shot to downtown. I setup to get installed on 06/12/04 between Noon-3:00PM. (this was the second attempt, because they didn't have my equipment.) So the guy (Petar) calls and says he is running behind. Well that night we had a bachelor party at my condo... So the guys started showing up at 8:00 and the "entertainment" showed up at 9:30. The satellite installer got there at 7:15PM and left at about 11:35PM. So he got a "free show" although he didn't seem that interested. So he points the dish, etc... We got a signal of 55. I used to install DTV and Dish I know that 55 is very low! He says all you need is 50 and you are all set. I didn't want to argue but I figured I would wait it out.

So hours later we have a working OTA antenna, except for CBS2, and all the VOOM channels are very choppy and breaking up. He said you have to wait for the new firmware, etc... So we did this and sure enough the whole dam thing didn't work, we got nothing.

Came back finally Monday 6/14/04 at 6:46PM, re-pointed the dish to 96! Now it works fine. We still don't get channel 2, it did come in but then it goes out. I am going to call VOOM and get my channel 2 and then I am a happy camper.

Anyone know why the cubs game was blacked out on ESPN last night? It wasn't on the locals!? It was on Fox Midwest which Voom doesn't have...

Thanks!

IamtheMp3God said:
Anyone know why the cubs game was blacked out on ESPN last night? It wasn't on the locals!? It was on Fox Midwest which Voom doesn't have...

Thanks!

It was blacked out on ESPN because it was shown locally on Fox Sports Chicago. Blackouts have nothing to do with Voom or any provider. FSN paid for the exclusive Chicago rights to the game, ESPN paid for the national rights excluding the local markets. It's MLB rules that protect the local broadcasters who pay tons.

C

IamtheMp3God said:
So hours later we have a working OTA antenna, except for CBS2, and all the VOOM channels are very choppy and breaking up. He said you have to wait for the new firmware, etc... So we did this and sure enough the whole dam thing didn't work, we got nothing.

Thanks!

What OTA antenna did they install that can't get CBS that close? Must be multi-path issues from the signal bouncing around the buildings or something. I think I have heard of folks downtown getting all the digital stations with just a rabbit-ear antenna inside the house.

Yeah, I hate that blackout rule. Especially since Voom doesn't have Fox Sports Net!

IamtheMp3God said:
"Brady Bunch Music"

Here's a story, of an install gone crazy... It only took 3 days.... When the install was done, he ran out... I was not much fun!

Ok, So I live frickin 3.2 miles from the loop. Montrose and Lake Shore Drive. I am in a 6 flat so we pretty much have a clear shot to downtown. I setup to get installed on 06/12/04 between Noon-3:00PM. (this was the second attempt, because they didn't have my equipment.) So the guy (Petar) calls and says he is running behind. Well that night we had a bachelor party at my condo... So the guys started showing up at 8:00 and the "entertainment" showed up at 9:30. The satellite installer got there at 7:15PM and left at about 11:35PM. So he got a "free show" although he didn't seem that interested. So he points the dish, etc... We got a signal of 55. I used to install DTV and Dish I know that 55 is very low! He says all you need is 50 and you are all set. I didn't want to argue but I figured I would wait it out.

Came back finally Monday 6/14/04 at 6:46PM, re-pointed the dish to 96! Now it works fine. We still don't get channel 2, it did come in but then it goes out. I am going to call VOOM and get my channel 2 and then I am a happy camper.

Thanks!
When did you order Voom? I ordered May 15 and have been delayed twice already. My next date is Jun 30. Did Adant Wireless install your system? Every time I call there they say that they don't have the equiptment.

I ordered late May. I think it was like the 22nd.

I raised holy hell with Voom and Adant. Brant at Adant finally called and sent the guy out. I still don't have channel 2. I will come in then go out, come in, go out.

This is the problem with Channel 2. WBBM broadcasts off of the HANCOCK because they are based in Streeterville. Everyone else uses the Sears Tower. So they point the (directional) antenna at the Sears Tower for Channel 7, 9, 32, 50, etc... So channel 2 doesn't come in. They have to re-point the antenna and it will come in.

IamtheMp3God said:
I ordered late May. I think it was like the 22nd.

I raised holy hell with Voom and Adant. Brant at Adant finally called and sent the guy out. I still don't have channel 2. I will come in then go out, come in, go out.

This is the problem with Channel 2. WBBM broadcasts off of the HANCOCK because they are based in Streeterville. Everyone else uses the Sears Tower. So they point the (directional) antenna at the Sears Tower for Channel 7, 9, 32, 50, etc... So channel 2 doesn't come in. They have to re-point the antenna and it will come in.

Thanks for the response. Just after the post Adant called. They are installing me Jun 21st.

I live in the vicinity of 63rd & Harlem. With the heavy rain that we had in the last few days Ch2 will breakup. The other channels are solid. Why the FCC put Ch.2 on VHF when all the others are on UHF is beyond me.

If you recall Comcast had Ch. 2 on their cable channel 3. They had to move it to cable Ch.22 as it was interfering with digital Ch.3

Antenna

I'm thinking of getting Voom and live in Roscoe Village (Chicago) which is 5 miles from the loop. A few questions hopefully someone can answer....

1. I live in a condo so the antenna can't be giant. How big is the OTA antenna and dish?

2. Being so close to the loop will I get all OTA channels?

3. I currently have Direct TV. Should I keep it until after Voom is installed and verify all channels work?

Any help is appreciated!

Dan

The standard dish is 18" but they are going to be moving to a larger eliptical dish, I forget the size. The stealth antenna isn't very large, maybe 4.5 ft wide.

I live in Aurora and I get all the OTA channels except CBS doesn't come in too well. The closer you are, the better. However, I could imagine that being too close might cause problems. Especially amongst the skyscrapers in the city. Check out antennaweb.org to see what they say about your address.

I would take a look at how much it costs to deactivate/reinstall service with DirecTV and compare that to how much one month of DirecTV costs. If you keep the service and overlap with VOOM you definitely will pay that extra month. However, you'd only have to pay to reinstall DirecTV if you had a problem with VOOM, which could end up saving you money if VOOM works out for you. Of course the money is only part of the decision. The hassle factor could come into it, too. I ended up keeping my full cable for a month and dropped to locals only after that. Just for emergencies.

So, I have had voom for a couple days... My view on it? It isn't worth it. The only channels I end up watching are the locals! So you can just get an antenna and a HDTV OTA box! Voom's picture is amazing but it is only on channels that you will never watch. The Cinema channels really show nothing of interest to me, and ESPN HD is an additional fee, TNTHD is an additional Fee, all the movie channels are an additional fee. Basically I pay to watch locals in HD. I have the 40.00 a month package and the channels that are in HD are all useless. If you are going to get Voom get the 80.00 package or don't bother. We still have Dish Network and the picture for the SD channels is much better. I have a 300' projection system and a 46' Sony HDTV.

I feel like I went through a great deal of sh*t to get this installed and setup and it is not worth it at all. I am not sure why the are charging for ESPNHD, TNTHD, etc... It is like you are getting nickle and dimed for channels you should get. You get ESPN SD but not ESPN HD??? The whole point of the service is HD.

Check the program guide before you buy to make sure it is worth it for you. Dish network is offering more for less. I think my plan is to keep dish network and get an OTA HDTV for the locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts