Clemens still leaning toward retirement

steve615

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jan 6, 2006
TN
From www.foxsports.com Arlington,TX Roger Clemens made it to opening day,as a spectator,and the 7 time Cy Young Award winner said he is still leaning toward retirement."That's where I am right now," Clemens said Monday before watching the Texas Rangers play the Boston Red Sox."Obviously,it's opening day and I'm about to put a golf visor on and I'm going to enjoy a ballgame."Clemens attended as a guest of Rangers owner Tom Hicks,a fellow University of Texas alumnus.Before the start,the 43 year old "Rocket" spoke with general manager Theo Epstein and other officials from the Red Sox,the team he started his career with.Clemens said they just told him the door was open if he wanted to return to Boston.The Red Sox,Rangers,Yankees and Astros are all interested in signing Clemens if he decides to pitch this season."There's really nothing to talk about until Roger decides if he wants to play,and if so,what team does he want to play for," said Clemens' agent,Randy Hendricks."All four teams have a keen interest.No question they want to sign Roger."Houston can't re-sign Clemens before May 1.It seems unlikely that Clemens would pitch for anybody before that time anyway.Clemens pitched last month for the U.S.A. in the World Baseball Classic.Rangers general manager Jon Daniels called last week to inquire if Clemens was ready to pitch now.Adam Eaton,the No. 2 starter in Texas behind Kevin Millwood,strained a tendon in the middle finger of his pitching hand and is out up to 3 months.Hicks planned to talk to Clemens during the game."I'm going to tell him I think our fans would really embrace him,tell him that I think he could take us deep in the playoffs and maybe to our first World Series....come June,July,whenever he's ready to pitch," Hicks said.Clemens plans to be in Houston on Tuesday night when the Astros honor last year's NL Championship team.

Clemens press conference going live now on ESPN.He has agreed to a pro-rated 1 year,$22 million contract with the Astros.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)