Connect Old Hard Drive to USB ... ?

cjwct

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Glastonbury, CT
My wife's pc went, so I gave her mine. Now she wants files off the old hard drive. My question is:

I heard about hard drive enclosures you can buy, but considering this is a 1-time use I also heard there's a USB cable/adapter I can get to plug the old internal harddrive into a USB port; is that true and if so, what's it called?

Thanks in advance!

cjwct said:
My wife's pc went, so I gave her mine. Now she wants files off the old hard drive. My question is:

I heard about hard drive enclosures you can buy, but considering this is a 1-time use I also heard there's a USB cable/adapter I can get to plug the old internal harddrive into a USB port; is that true and if so, what's it called?

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link to one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9279&cm_re=sata_to_usb-_-12-119-279-_-Product

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App

What "went" on the old pc? If it was the drive it may not be recoverable.

As cheap as disks are these days, I don't understand why everyone doesn't buy them for their machines

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

John Kotches said:
What "went" on the old pc? If it was the drive it may not be recoverable.

As cheap as disks are these days, I don't understand why everyone doesn't buy them for their machines

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I found what I wanted: USB/IDE adapter. Thanks.

I agree with you 100%, but my wife did not heed my warnings and back her stuff up on our network harddrive.

FYI: The power supply went on the old pc (2x in 6 months) and I am tired of replacing it.

I found what I wanted: USB/IDE adapter. Thanks.

I agree with you 100%, but my wife did not heed my warnings and back her stuff up on our network harddrive.

FYI: The power supply went on the old pc (2x in 6 months) and I am tired of replacing it.

The last power supply that went on a pc here took out the motherboard AND the hard drive. Those dang things need to have some sort of circuit breaker built in.

I have pushed my wife into putting all of her data in Dropbox, so her data will be safe regardless of what happens to the machine.

I buy enclosures at a local MicroCenter. They have dozens to choose from in all kinds of shapes and interface formats. Very inexpensive too: for example, an enclosure with eSATA cable costs less than that eSATA cable purchased separately. ;)

To me enclosures, make a lot of sense, especially for laptop drives: not only they simplify the data transfer, but also they allow me to continue using the older drives as external storage.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Do what I do: Build your own, and put in PC Power and Cooling (or Antec) power supplies. I've never lost a motherboard since. Of course, oft times that PS is the most expensive single component in my builds.

Do what I do: Build your own, and put in PC Power and Cooling (or Antec) power supplies. I've never lost a motherboard since. Of course, oft times that PS is the most expensive single component in my builds.

Yeah, but that PS is wayyyyy better than any PS that is put into computers that are pre-built. I have built all my Desktop PC's since the late 80's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)