Contest: Enter to Win a Titanium Satellite ASC1 Actuator and Polarity Controller - Ends 01/02/2014 M

Status
Please reply by conversation.
We used to have big family get togethers when I was a kid but now most have passed. This year we will go to mom's the day after Christmas. Christmas day is spent at home now with my family.

We all gather together on Christmas Eve for a light supper and open Christmas gifts. Oh, and we all enjoy the homemade Christmas candy.

Family together on Christmas Day. A time of enjoyment for all to be reminded of how blessed we are and a time to be thankful for the free gift of Eternal life through Jesus Christ alone. Love this time of year.

Our parents let us kids put carrots in between the inside and outside front door for Santas reindeers on Christmas eve.
In the morning we would check the door and see the carrots gone and extra presents from Santa under the tree.

Twas the night before Christmass

Our Family had gift giving on the eve . Our Mother had her birthday presents at this same time. We all miss her dearly and remember ,honer her memory Sitting around the fireplace telling stories she once told of our elders in the family.

Not entering, but here is a recent tradition that we started a few years back... Yep, ring 'da bell in front of Sam's Club. :D

156664_10150135498384502_1156636_n.jpg

Every year, I look forward to attending Celebration in the Oaks at New Orleans City Park. One of the largest urban parks in America, City Park is decorated with holiday displays that illuminate the centurys-old oak trees in colorful lights. Carousel Gardens, the amusement park portion of City Park, opens the rides at night, and offers a 20 minute train ride that winds through the park and its many displays. This event begins the day after Thanksgiving and usually continues through New Years Day or shortly after.

We have a simple Christmas dinner at my Mother-in-Laws house each year. then first thing Christmas day go over and see what Santa brought the Grand kids.. Then just relax and enjoy time with family. Thanks for the contest.. GI_Joe - (Enjoy the hobby) :)

In our family it's always been traditional to start opening a few presents a day or two before Christmas, with the majority opened on Christmas Eve. Originally this was somewhat out of necessity, because we would often travel to the grandparents a day or two before Christmas and just couldn't fit all the kids' presents in the car. But also, by spreading Christmas out a bit, I think it gave the kids time to appreciate each gift a bit more, and opening on Christmas Eve means you don't have kids that can't go to sleep and then parents being awakened at the crack of dawn, and then having to travel to relatives on Christmas Day in a sleep-deprived state.

Now I know someone is probably going to ask how we pulled that off, since "Santa" supposedly comes on Christmas Eve. Well, the fact is that we always treated Santa and the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy as "pretend" characters, just like all the other characters on TV. We just never felt that it was right to lie to kids about Santa Claus, and then pull the rug out from under them as they got older. We also had to explain, once they were old enough for kindergarten, that some of their classmates believed Santa was a real person and that it wasn't nice to try and correct them, that they would figure it out on their own in two or three years (now that I think about it, that could be an early lesson in tolerance for the beliefs of others, thought at that time we probably didn't think about that). And yes, there were one or two people in our family that thought that it was horrible that we didn't lie to our kids about Santa (which is something I just couldn't wrap my head around - since when did lying to small children become such a cherished value?) but the thing is, we didn't shield our kids from all the Santa stuff, they heard "The Night Before Christmas" and all that, but we just never tried to pass off Santa as being a real person, or anything more than a fun pretend character associated with the holiday season. And that really made the holidays a lot less awkward, except for the one or two relatives that just couldn't believe we'd do that!

We sit down and watch the old Rankin/Bass claymation Christmas movies - you know, Santa Claus is Coming to Town and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Classics from my childhood.

I still love watching those old shows and sharing them with my kids. Priceless times indeed.

Not entering, but here is a recent tradition that we started a few years back... Yep, ring 'da bell in front of Sam's Club. :D

View attachment 93698

Did this also for many years but was a volunteer supervisor which meant when peeps called at the last minute and canceled or forgot, .. I rang the bell for their time period. Still a wonderful time of seeing people. (At their best and worst). Finally had to move the pots away from the curb because of drive up grab and rob...

Every year at Christmas my Mom convinces us to play the white elephant game and someone gets stuck with this set of the UGLIEST Fish Plates you have ever seen in your life.

My holiday tradition was to go to Grandma's and Grandpa's house and hurry as fast as we could to help Grandpa with chores so we could get cleaned up to open presents. I remember all the chores had to be done(cows fed & milked, calf pens cleaned & bedded) before any gifts got opened. After all that we went to church for candlelight service. All good times!

It seems like all of our Christmas and New Years holiday traditions revolved around food. This was the time of year where everyone got their favourites.

My mother, aunt and grandmother would always cook enough to feed multiple armies. Always a big enough turkey so all the dark and white meat eaters had enough for their preference. Mashed potato and gravy for one part of the family, mashed sweet potato cooked with maple syrup for others.

There was dark christmas fruit cake for the ones who liked it, and white cherry fruit cake for the rest. Dark fruit steamed pudding with rum sauce for one group of the family, with rum pudding and strawberries for the others.

Sometimes we'd even fire up the snow machines, back when everyone's "sled" was yellow and said Ski-doo on the side. Occasionally we'd even throw on the skates and go out to play some shinny to work off the extra pounds.

Christmas season is masquerade dancing season for all in my community and its environs. It's fun to watch dancers dressed colorfully and dancing in rhythmic steps.

:everybodydance: Congratulations..... A Raine! You have won a Titanium Satellite ASC1! :everybodydance:

Post # 17 was randomly selected via random.org. Please reply by PM within 10 days with your contact information, telephone number and shipping address.

Will be shipping the new hardware version approximately January 15th.

Thank you SatelliteGuys for sharing your holiday traditions! Here's to a happy and prosperous 2014!

Status
Please reply by conversation.