Corotor II plus Wideband

Status
Please reply by conversation.

markrankin

Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
Clarke Orbit
Hello guys:

First of all I want to say HELLO. My name is Marky, I'm from South East Spain and I love this stuff.

My question is about Corotor II plus Wideband.

I bought recently a COROTOR II plus WIDEBAND in a USA shop, a NORSAT 8515 C-band LNB and a ASTROTEL Ku 0.5 wideband LNB. Everything is mounted in a 1.80m prime focus antenna (polar mount) with an actuator and the Vbox III. Also I control the skew with TOPFIELD 3000CIPpro receiver.

Ok. According to the web where I bought the feedhorn, Corotor II plus wideband has this reference:
International number 11-7128-62

But the package includes a manual with two different references:
11-5300-1
11-5300-3

The difference between them is the low frecuences of C-band and Ku band. If I still reading the manual I understand the feedhorn must be aligned with the polar axis of the antenna but according to the CHAPARRAL website must be aligned at 11:00 (ku) and 5:00 (C). So I don't know how to align it. Also the package has a template with an arrow that must be aligned with the polar axis. :confused:

I've tried by my own doing it according to 11:00 and I receive the Horizontal frequences (High) at 1ºW but no the Vertical frequences.

I use the PROMAX signal meter and spectometer so the antenna alignment is perfect. What am I doing wrong?.

Thanks in advance for your help:
Marky.

Hello guys:

Ok. According to the web where I bought the feedhorn, Corotor II plus wideband has this reference:
International number 11-7128-62

But the package includes a manual with two different references:
11-5300-1
11-5300-3

:confused:

Thanks in advance for your help:
Marky.

Hello an welcome to a American forum Marky.

Now I had a wideband feed but sold it last year, on mine if I remember right their was a raised letters "W2" either on the scalar or the feed horn that I can remember. an the part # that I got in my records is 11-7128-68, don't know the difference between -62 or -68?

now the 11-5300- 1 is our standard Co-rotor here in US it will only do linear not circular c-band like the 11-7128 models. now I just checked a new 5300 model chaperral an the only thing in raised letters is the Patent #s, no model #.

may be you're best bet to contact Chaperral directly, either by phone or the web.

now these feed horns are for a prime focus dish, an if you're 1.8m is a offset feed dish you should have a different scalar ring other than the flat 1 for a prime focus, but still should get signal just may get more noise in with signal with out the right scalar.

Thanks for your replies.

The Ku LNB that I'm using is ASTROTEL WIDEBAND 0.5 LNB so I think is compatible with corotor.
When I use the skew button a noise could be heard inside so I think servo is working.

When I look frequences with the TOPFIELD at 1ºW I can "see" the Horizontal ones only not the Verticals, and also high frequences not lower. If I test the C-band only a frequence is avalaible 4025R (circular) and the signal is OK, so I understand the LNBs are working. The LNB field in TOPFIELD must be setted to 10750 to have signal (ku) and 5150 (C).

The dish is prime focus. I have Channel Master 1.20m but is too small for receiving C-band in Spain and for Ku signals we use "UNIVERSAL" called LNB with the two polarities.

I'm a little confused with the corotor because the installation appears to be right but the performances still weak.

Marky.

PD: Congratulatios for USA soccer team. We can't believe in Spain what happened yesterday.

What are the Topfield's Skew settings?

It's a value that can be changed between -90 to +90 (Skew). My wife yesterday helped me pressing the button between -90 to +90 and I realized the servo works properly.

I've tested the feedhorn at 12:00, I mean, aligned with the polar axis and the results still the same. At 1ºW I can receive Horizontal signals (12527H, 12607H...) but no Verticals, also I can receive the lonely C-band frequence in this satellite 4025R reachable.

The next step will be move the dish to a Ku/C-band satellite and try to tune something. I don't want to give up.

Marky.

I'll see if I can find the doc, but I had one for corotor installation. you had to align the feed to the polar axis of the dish, and if you did it properly, it put the Ku LNB at 11 o'clock and the C band LNB at 5:00 when the dish was pointed at your true south sat.

of course, that corotor died and I'm waiting on a replacement. currently have a polarotor in place and I have the exact same problem you do. I can get the H tps but not the V. doesn't matter how much I adjust skew on V. from -90 to +90 and I get nothing. I think it's mainly because the feed isn't aligned properly.
I'll post that doc when I find it

sorry, bunch of servers at work crashed.. spent way too much time getting them running again.

I stood in front of my dish last night looking at it. if you print that corotor alignment guide thingy, you cut out the notch for the servo, place it on the feed and the arrow will point at the polar mount. If you imagine a line going along the dish through the polar mount, the arrow will point at it.
I've read conflicting bits on the internet about the install tho. One will say that after you align the feed, your Ku LNB will be at 11 o'clock and C-band at 5, but others have said that Ku will be at 10 and C band at 4.
But chaparral's website does show that if you do not have the feed aligned correctly, the symptom will be that you will only get H and not V.
HTH
keep us posted on your progress

install doc: http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-manuals/146715-chaparral-corotor-ii-manual.html

Last edited:
sorry, bunch of servers at work crashed.. spent way too much time getting them running again.

I stood in front of my dish last night looking at it. if you print that corotor alignment guide thingy, you cut out the notch for the servo, place it on the feed and the arrow will point at the polar mount. If you imagine a line going along the dish through the polar mount, the arrow will point at it.
I've read conflicting bits on the internet about the install tho. One will say that after you align the feed, your Ku LNB will be at 11 o'clock and C-band at 5, but others have said that Ku will be at 10 and C band at 4.
But chaparral's website does show that if you do not have the feed aligned correctly, the symptom will be that you will only get H and not V.
HTH
keep us posted on your progress

install doc: http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-manuals/146715-chaparral-corotor-ii-manual.html

Thanks for the manual. I'll scan mine and I'll show you. The corotor alignment is different, according to mine must be at 12:00, aligned with the polar axis. Strange.

Another test made yesterday. I pointed my dish to 5ºW Atlantic Bird. This satellite is C and Ku-band. I've only tested the C-band because at this time I can't believe what Ku LNB say to me. The results were:

Atlantic Bird 3 at 5.0°W - LyngSat

3635R = Skew +60 Signal 92%
3641R = Skew +60 Signal 91%
3712L = Skew -45 Signal 98%
4163L = Skew -45 Signal 92%

So I believe the corotor is properly installed?. The Left & Right C-frequences are reachable.

I'll test in a C-band satellite with H/V frequences and not R/L.

Marky.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts