Curious Tuner Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

catamount

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
maritimes
I've noticed for a while now, that my viewsat platinum will lock quality on Directv dss signals. Of course it won't scan in any channels, but will show and lock quality signal. Coolsat 5000 won't lock.

Just curious if any members have noticed this with other FTA receivers.
Catamount

I have never been able to lock a dss signal with any of my fta receivers but my genpix and twinhan 1020a do.Which sat and tp are you getting signal on?

You would be surprised how many chipsets can lock DSS signals. Even DishNetworks chipsets can lock DSS signals. Broadcom just included in many of their off the shelf tuner chipsets.

I have never been able to lock a dss signal with any of my fta receivers but my genpix and twinhan 1020a do.Which sat and tp are you getting signal on?

I'm fixed on 97 west globecast. There are 2 80 foot white pines right on the edge of LOS. I was just holding a circular lnb to see if I could get 110 . Then I would know if there was a chance for 103 from that location. Anyway, I couldn't get 110 but lit up 101 pretty easily. I can show quality on all direc dss transponders.

Catamount

Extremeview magnum will show a red signal strength and quality but no lock.
Maddmike bragged with v140 it was the dtv phase 1 firmware,but naturally nothing ever became of it.
Hardware wise there is nothing exotic,old dtv receivers were converted to dish back in the n1 and n2 days.
The sti5517 toolset had options for building both dss and dvb firmwares,but the version on the net had the dss goodies stripped out.The sti5517 was used in both dvb and dss receivers so the toolset must have been good for both.

At one time dtv had a lot of barker channels in the clear.It would have been a goof to mod firmware that we have source for like for coolsat just to get those.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts