Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
I cannot find the motor control amperage rating for a DSR922 receiver. The voltage is 36vdc, but cannot find documentation for the current.

I thought the voltage was 24 volts.
Aren't yard lights rated at 24 v, too?
Thought the reason had something to do with the electrical code, and safety...
24 was considered safe, and higher required special handling?
Never really looked into it.
For the application you have in mind, I would sure want 36 volts, instead of 24! :)
(to deal with the resistance of a long wire run)

This pic is from the back of a GI DSR 922, does that help?

Sat DSR 922 Voltage and Current.jpg

First generation dish movers were all 36 volt. Then someone* complained that 36v is not allowed in class c wiring in the mid to late 80's. (Class C - low voltage/current - install without inspection - even by untrained homeowners) *Think it may have been Calif.(???) Anyhow, after threatened legal action, the mfgrs said enough, and anything after an agreed date(whatever it was) were only 24 volt.The maximum allowed under 'Class C'. Still remember reading the 'NOTICE' sent out by USS/Maspro (Doug Denhert) Anyhow, there were a few complaints after an 'upgrade', BITD, that their dish is a lot slower.
Got a couple 'early' movers in the museum. 36V @ 3 amp.
All the later ones - 24v @ 4 amps.
-Motors get less efficient at lowered voltage, which slows rotation, requiring more current.- Ya wouldn't think so, but it's true.
(I've seen some auto heater fans take near 30 amps on low speed, 3 to 4 on Hi - resistor speed control, not PWM)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)